Buying A3 3.2 Quattro

yiddo

Reaction score
Hi
I'm thinking of buying a Audi A3 3.2 Quattro Auto, as I'm not overly knowledgeable on these I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to look out for. Thanks

Lovely sound from the exhaust but the biggest thing to have checked properly are the cam chains. If they need changing it is an engine out job and so very expensive.

Reactions: yiddo
As above, great sounding engine and a lovely car to drive.
Replacement chains are anywhere from £1.5k to £5k depending on what and where it is done. Listen out for rattling under the cover and stretch can be diagnosed with vcds.
The 3.2 is an old car now so also be careful of the dsg if you want auto as its an expensive repair and also the downpipe flexi's as these are part of the catalyst pipework and not easy to replace.

Reactions: yiddo
Try and get a pre-‘06 model as the tax is less. Get the lowest mileage example you can, but depends on your budget.

Rev and hold at 2k rpm. If the revs jump then it needs the ecu updating or the chains are worn.
Check the dsg has had oil changes at the correct intervals and changes gear smoothly in auto and manual(using paddles and stick)

check haldex has had oil changes at correct intervals.

listen for blowing from flex joints. Cost £1200 for part alone from Audi and is a pig of a job. Worst case can result in the head coming off due to plenty of seized bolts. I ended up getting a full stainless system from the headers back as it worked out cheaper. No one would even attempt changing the flex due to the work involved.

I love mine and it sounds amazing.
F4CE602E 0C86 42B0 97F2 D809AD0A394A