Buying a S3

Jason banks

Reaction score
Hi, looking at buying a S3. Just a couple of questions....

I noticed they are all not BAM engines some are AMK, APY and AUL. Are there any main differences? Looking ahead at tuning too.

Also is it just different mapping that sets the 210bhp and 225bhp models apart?

Thanks in advance.

AUL is not an S3 engine code in this country... Guessing you got that from Wikipedia :)

Basics are APY are pre-facelift and narrowband ecu, AMK/BAM are facelift cars and mechanically the same but are slightly different power is all... They all map up the same but AMK/BAM are wideband ecu's so are generally easier to tune for power beyond the std stage 1/2 levels

BAM being the best is bollux... BAM is just an AMK with 15hp more out the box... Don't pay over the odds because someone is selling a BAM...

<tuffty/>

I think BAM is the keeper for the future and value wise.

Yep, both map to the same power levels & other small differences and cheaper to buy- I should hope so too.

If you are not thinking long term, save yourself a bob or two and get the old version.

I think BAM is the keeper for the future and value wise.

Not really... BAM tax is a load of interneterised baloney... BAM is 2002/2003 is all which makes it a later car... anyone that pays over the odds for a BAM because its a BAM deserves to pay BAM tax...

Just buy the best car you can for the budget you have... don't be afraid to walk away from a few either... I have seen a fair few in my time and the condition varies wildly... take VCDS if you can...scan the car for faults, check for obvious oil leaks and pipe splits... an older engine is meant to be dirty but not covered in oil... oil is supposed to be on the inside not the outside... if its on the outside its been forced there through a split pipe or a leaking seal...

<tuffty/>

I really don't understand why people get BAM's. AMK cars are cheaper to tax and map to the same. Why the hell would you get a BAM. Anyways I'd go for something that's in good condition but is basically an AMK. APY's are narrowband and PFL so unless you like it..

Err, maybe because they are newer, other than that, I couldn't say.

like for like, apart from the year, in the long run its better to go for the later model and so naturally it will cost slightly more. Also don't forget deals can be made. nuff said.

I have seen some really sh*t state BAM's... age is no indicator of quality... newer isn't always better...

If you want a facelift buy the best example you can for the budget have... doesn't matter if its AMK or BAM

<tuffty/>

newer isn't better, it's just a matter of finding one...and that's the one I would be looking for.
i.e a good late one.
Isn't it a buyers market at the moment so test your negotiation skills.

Hi, looking at buying a S3. Just a couple of questions....

I noticed they are all not BAM engines some are AMK, APY and AUL. Are there any main differences? Looking ahead at tuning too.

Also is it just different mapping that sets the 210bhp and 225bhp models apart?

Thanks in advance.
Where are you based Jason?
Thinking of selling mine if you want to take a look at it...

Aren't pre facelift rarer and thus potentially more collectable?
APY may be narrowband, but is that really such a huge issue?

swings and roundabouts... some people prefer one or other... narrow band is ok to a degree but it really does depend on your plans for the car... if going for bigger power than wideband ecu's are better mainly as they have a degree of extra protection with fuelling adjustments on WOT which narrow band ecu's don't do... particularly useful to help combat issues with MAF sensors and air leaks as they can deteriorate (wideband can adjust fuelling to compensate)... obviously fixing these issues is better but you don't always know they are there until something goes very wrong...

You also get VVT which helps spool on larger turbo's and EGT protection... these are good things to have but its still personal preference at the end of the day

<tuffty/>

Reactions: JohnnyRob