Buying a new A3 BLACK EDITION, WHAT ENGINE TO GO FOR???

boy5545

Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm buying a new a3 black edition. Now i'm not sure which one to go for, initially i was keen to get the TDI 140 however, if that only comes with a single exhaust pipe then i ain't interested.

I currently have a black s -line 1.6 which doesn't seem powerful at all. should i go for a tdi 170, or a 1.8t ?? i want something with considerable power difference to my car. I have also considered a 2.0tfsi but that might be too costly or bad on fuel???

I have a 2.0TDI 170 BE SB on order so i would say the 170.

On another note it hasn't been confirmed fully yet but i think you will find that all new A3's barring the S3 will be a single pipe, still awaiting clarification from others on this forum.

Quite a few dealers are now confirming that the 170 also has a single tail pipe just like the 140, some people think this is because the new MY11 verson of the 170 now has start/stop and almost all cars i've seen with that have the single tail pipe so I think that would be more likely the case. I have the 2.0tdi 140 BE and personally the single pipe doesn't bother me but suppose other people could be put off.

Last edited:
I currently have a 140 Golf GT SPORT TDI which is a very similar engine with similar power output to the new Audi engine. I have to say I'm very happy with the power but the torque is the best bit :D hence why I've gone for the 140 BE I have on order, plus with it being a company car the 140 is lower emission and higher mpg which I also need to consider.

Whichever you go for you will notice a massive increase over a 1.6 petrol A3.

Personally I prefer the drive of a diesel (my wifes got a 1.8t Octavia vRS) as its much less effort to get it going without having to thrash it... I guess i must be getting old....

get the 2.0 tdi ........... i also have a golf gt tdi sport 4motion and it is a great machine and as said before the power unit is same 140 bhp , golf is a bit older being a mrk5 but has twin tail pipes .............

i used to think the golf was fast but i have an s3 which i use at weekends and its a mad house !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had a 2.0 TDI 140bhp Audi A3, and now I've got a 2.0 TDI 170 bhp Audi A3 S-Line and the 170 is a lot quicker and a lot more fun to drive. I would personally go for the 170bhp diesel engine as you are also going to be saving fuel costs than on the petrol versions.

All depends what you want. I'd say the 2.0tfsi 200bhp and not too bad on fuel i had one for a few months on a 56reg. And it was better on fuel than i expected it to be. But if your worried about fuel than the 2.0tdi 170bhp. If you want to stay with petrol then the 1.8TFSI. 2.0tdi (140) does seem to only come with single exhaust from what i can see looking on Audi used cars. Probably best if you go test drive the model your interesting in and go from there. Also need to decide if you want petrol or diesel.

Just get the 140 and stick a new backbox on it. It seems a strange reason not to buy a car, especially given the small(ish) cost of changing it.

Just get the 140 and stick a new backbox on it. It seems a strange reason not to buy a car, especially given the small(ish) cost of changing it.

I totally agree with that! I've ordered a new 140BHP BE but wouldn't be put off by the single pipe. Aye, twin pipes would be better but surely we can change the rear valance and adapt the pipes. Just think of the extra economy the 140 gives over the 170 and it's by no means slow. It seems a bit snobby to say "I ain't interested if it only has one tailpipe", but hey that's just my opinion!

I have an A3 SB BE 170 on order, i originally test drove the 140 and to be honest there isn't a great deal difference between the 2 for economy but it was a little quicker, i opted for the 170 because if i am spending that type of money i will get the best i can afford.

140 S-Tronic 170 S-Tronic
0 - 62 8.9 7.7
Urban MPG 48.7 50.4
Extra Urban 64.2 61.4
Combined 57.6 56.5

Get a Golf GTD. Better looking, newer, has twin pipes and a nicer interior. RNS 510 is better than RNS E as well.

But if you insist on an A3 then get the 2.0 TDI 170. As far as I know it has twin pipes and the fuel economy is brilliant for the power.

Get a Golf GTD. Better looking, newer, has twin pipes and a nicer interior. RNS 510 is better than RNS E as well.

But if you insist on an A3 then get the 2.0 TDI 170. As far as I know it has twin pipes and the fuel economy is brilliant for the power.

Dont know how you can say the Golf GTD better looking than a black edition A3. I cant comment on the interior as i've not seen it but if its anything to go by like the previous Golfs probably nothing special and a let down. But agree with you regarding the RNS510 and our RNSE

I've had to defend the Golf quite a lot on this forum. Remember I've owned A3s for nearly 6 years now and I assure you the Mk VI's interior is nicer than the 8P's. Also the A3 is beginning to date. The VI looks fresh, ESP with those snazzy new LED rear lights. Definitely the one to get IMHO.

Golfs are good lookers we've had loads... Drivers GTis Turbos etc BUT the Audi is still a class above

The 170 Tdi is a great engine and superb attached to the Quattro drivetrain which IMHO is what makes an ordinary Audi a GREAT Audi...:busted_cop: