Buying a car privately *Rant Alert*

luke_m87

Reaction score
This is a big rant, but I think with good reason.

So looking for a new car for the other half and had found a tidy looking 2008 Golf 1.4 tsi, which seemed to tick all the boxes.
Admittedly it was very keenly priced, so instantly you know there will be high interest, having found the car and organised to view/test drive all seem to be in good order.
I began the negotiation process, having gone too and throw with the guy going inside his house each time to consult his wife a deal was struck in fact we shook on the asking price (£4350 if your interested) as I say it was well priced, there was actually someone waiting in their car across the road to view if I didn't purchase and the car was nigh on perfect for the age.
We agreed a deposit to be left, as I am going to sort out the deposit the seller asked if I minded the guy that was waiting would take a quick look at the car. I said yes without thinking (stupid I know) I'd never been asked such a question when buying a car. Now this guy offered more money then the asking price, luckily for me the seller stuck to his word and declined the offer.

So now I paid a deposit and agreed a date of collection and for the outstanding balance to be paid by bank transfer on collection. I had printed out contract of sale and deposit papers, which both parties signed and copies kept by both parties. The guys wife congratulated me on the purchase and we all had a good chat about the car, our families (both have young children) the usual kind of thing.

So I left happy that a deal had been reached and to collect the car on Saturday. I must have gotten about 30 minutes down the road to receive a text, it's the guy, his text read along the lines of:
"My wife is very unhappy that I have agreed a sale this evening without consent (she is the registered keeper, owner), especially as we have been offered £150 extra. She wants to hold out till the weekend for more viewings."
I couldn't believe it, not only was he backing out he didn't even have the decency to pick up the phone and apologise! So much for keeping his word. So I made my feelings clear that this isn't how business is done if you shake on a deal and take a deposit that's your fault for not declining an offer surely? I also pointed out that if his wife asking him to show the car and enter negotiations is surely giving consent + he was back and forward with her throughout (just a cover up for being greedy bast**ds over £150?).
This morning I looked online they have now put the price up by £500 to £4800 and still have my deposit!
He would not answer my calls or texts, eventually his wife rang and ensued to start shouting down the phone that I had no right to be cross, I put my point across I think and demanded my deposit back + £50 for time wasting and petrol used.

Long story short I've never had such a bitter taste from buying a car (or not as it may be) and the search continues. Sorry for the long rant and a lesson learnt not to trust anyone when buying a car!

Understand your frustration mate, but when there's a bargain to be had from a private sale, you really need to take the car away there ands hen I think! If it was a dealer, then that would be a different story. Agreements, even on paper, with a private sale, is worth sod all. Good luck with getting your deposit back, sounds to me they have no intentions of returning it...

Thanks. Your not wrong there I had asked to this time, but the seller needed the car until the weekend (assuming that wasn't a lie).
Luckily i have now received my deposit back in full plus a little extra to cover petrol and the time of my friend that is a mechanic who checked the car over for me.

Reactions: jojo
Chances are they'll call you back and say you can buy the car for the agreed price. I had this some years ago, the vendor called me back and said I can have the car after all, my reply was "You can go and xxxx xxxxxxxx"

Reactions: luke_m87 and desertstorm
I had something similar a few years ago buying a car for my sister, We had agreed a price but not left a deposit.
Was going to pick the car up the next day and seller rings me to say they had somebody who had offered £200 more and could I match that otherwise they would sell the car to the other person.
I told them where to get off and left it there. A week later they rang me up and asked if I still wanted the car as the other person hadn't come up with the money. What do you think I said ??? .
There are some right wasters around. Beware of people describing a car as mint condition or as new when the car is 10 years old.
Glad you got your deposit back and some money to cover the fuel.

Reactions: luke_m87
To be honest @Soot1 I don't think I'd have gotten the call even if their new buyer disappeared, the way the situation was left wasn't very amicable to say the least. I also reported them to Auto Trader for selling the car twice.

@desertstorm you've got to love a trier! Yes of course your car is going to look as new after covering 60k miles and spending it's life in a car park! Although that said the car was in great condition inside and out only 1 wheel had corroded on the spokes.

Either way we'd brought a car by the Friday and the other car was still for sale.