Buying a 2004 2.5 All-Road

ColinRyan

Reaction score
Website
n
Hi,

Apologies if I am duplicating a thread but I couldnt find it:

I'm in the process of buying my first all-road (2004 2.5tdi automatic) and was wondering if anyone has a 'buying guide' of any sort I could use?

What are the common faults or common wear points with this model and what should I avoid?

All help much appreciated,

C.

Hello Colin,
Don't have any experience of the all road, mine is just a normal A6.
Had mine for about 15 months and no problem at all, touching wood.
Engine very good, but cam belt and associated components change is crucial at specified intervals (plenty of horror stories to be read). Full service history also a must.
Make sure the tiptronic box works in all gears. I never had an auto before, but absolutely love mine, total lazy driving! No real problem with the 'box, and if you read asociated threads it appears to be best if the oil is not changed.
You also need to make sure the suspension works in all settings, and at all speeds, As I would this would would be quite pricey to put right.
Other than those points there doesn't seem to be too much by way of common problems, each car will be different and you pays your money and takes your chances.

Have a hunt through the forums/sites, it might throw up some more pointers.

HTH, Al.

Thanks,

I've been looking around since. I am now looking at a 2003 (69K mileage) 2.5 TDI. I drove it briefly yesterday and appears to be ok (though has no heated seats or sunroof unfortunately). Some bodywork scrapes but deal is going to fix that.

The service history is pretty good though it looks like belts may not have been done. dealer has said he will do fuill service ahead of selling. Can I just check what I should be checking has been done at 69K; timing belt/cam belt, gearbox oil etc. I want to make sure I ask for all the right things - rather than trust they be done.

Is there something I need to do to get level 4 of the suspension to work? I notice that levels 1-3 can be changed while driving but the level four light did not come on when toggling. I noticed this in another allroad so was hoping it was me doing something wrong and not an issue with the car?

Any other things to look out for? Do the bearings/bushings/diffs give difficulty or need servicing at this mileage? First time buying a 4WD.

Thanks,

C.

Level 4 only works below 20 or 25mph can't remember exactly.Insist on getting the cambelt done (due every 80k) including tensioner,all idler pulleys (are often not changed and can cause cambelt failure) and waterpump.
Listen out for the air compressor running and make sure it doesn't sound too rough or loud.Suspension airbags (OEM £500 each,£300 pattern part) are a known issue and can cause the car to settle unevenly when left overnight,this in turn means the air comp is working harder hence listen for it.
Ensure engine starts on the button irrespective of engine temp.
V6 tdi's are a little slow going from idle upto 1800rpm but should then pull smoothly and rapidly through the gears.
Don't rush into buying an allroad as they can be expensive to repair and lets face it there are plenty to choose from at the mo.It' a buyers market....
All in all a very nice car to own and drive.
Regards
djl

Thanks for all the help.

Had a look again today. Air susp is fine (level 4 worked and no audible compressor noise) and have put down a deposit. Dealer (non main) has said he will do full 70K service (and fix some dings) before we close. I specifically asked about the belts etc - full major service.

Does anyone have a checklist I can use to make sure everything that is due at 70K is done (I dont have the service book yet obviously)?

Thanks,

C.