Buying 2006 A4 B7 2.0tfsi Saloon

ckl139

Reaction score
Hi all

Pet the title thinking of buying this spec s line saloon manual.

Read basic buying guides but wanted to ask specifics I should look for given that this model is

Manual

2.0tfsi special edition- so is c.215 power.

Also does this suffer from oil burning or is that b8 only?

Also it's on 82k. Full Audi history. Does it have a lot of life left. What do these run too typically?

Any guidance appreciated.

Yes it does suffer from oil consumption, but then they all do to a more or lesser degree , just depends on how you drive it really .
82k is not high , lots of life left in it, years and years if looked after.
200 for normal 2.0tfsi or 220 if its DTM or special ed, 220 is a specific engine aswell (BUL) and probably the best of the bunch aswell, but some can still have issues, nothing that cant be dealt with though.
great cars and great performance.

If you read all the guides and report etc you'll never buy one, just ignore them and go with what you like, they are no worse than any other german car really.

Mines a 220 BUL on 83k

I've had less problems with it that my e90 330i that I haf previously.

Common issues seem to be cam follower at approx £30 for the part.

PCV at approx £50

Diverter Valve approx £50

Oil pick up pipe in the sump depending on how it's been treated.

All of the above bar the oil pickup i have done myself (i had to get a freind to do that one).

The only failures I've experienced were the pcv and the diverter in 40k miles and 5 years.

None of which stop the car from running they just cause it to run poor.

The others are preventative maintenance really.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Oh and i have to bash a litre of oil in every 3.5-4k miles. Bit now the mileage is getting on I may look at 5w40 in place of the 5w30.

5w40 is the way to go, I normally use fuch's super fandango oil ......and consumption was halved compared to mobil 1 esp 5w30.

Reactions: Ash_mtb, ckl139 and Jon13s
Hi all thanks. Sorry neve got around to updating, didn’t buy. Today I’m going to see a 2006 Avant s line 2.0t Quattro. Manual. 55k.

What should I look out for?

same as already mentioned before , milage is not really the only factor as low milage doesn't allways mean a better car.

Reactions: ckl139
Oh and i have to bash a litre of oil in every 3.5-4k miles. Bit now the mileage is getting on I may look at 5w40 in place of the 5w30.

I've got a another specific thread on this to compare engines, and have just posted in that so happy for you to reply to that, but would you say this is normal?

a litre per 3 - 4 k?

Car i am looking at, owner says 2 litres in around 12k miles - is that normal?

5w40 is the way to go, I normally use fuch's super fandango oil ......and consumption was halved compared to mobil 1 esp 5w30.

What was your consumption and what is it now?

What oil is the engine recommended to be run on by Audi originally?

I don't really keep a milage check on the oil consumption now as it's prettywell stable given my varied driving and a new short motor was fitted two years ago.
I check it once a month without fail though and just top it up if required, probably approx. 2k miles per 0.5 ltr of oil , which is not really abnormal working on audi's stated figures of upto 0.5ltr per 600klm ...
Audi recommend 5w30 fully synth spec oil such as mobile 1 ESP etc but I found my old bus liked to drink that more than 5w40 , so I stick with the
Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W-40 Ester Fully Synthetic Engine Oil - 5 Litres , cant fault it either, order it from opie oils with club discount and it works out cheaper than the Mobile 1 and it is a better option too.

Last edited:
come to think about it , the new short motor was all most 3 years ago, wow how time has passed in the old bus, still running sweet aswell.

Reactions: ckl139
My old bus it not 100% standard now either, with HFC, large bore down pipe remap to 270bhp etc it will use a bit more in theory.....well that's my excuse ..lol

What’s a short motor?

I’ve posted some numbers on the other thread for a car I’m looking to buy. Approx. 2 litres for 12k miles

Is that excessive ?

those figures suggest 0.5ltr per 3k miles so normal then, nothing to be concerned about on that front, but is that verbal figures from the owner or actual on paper .
Short motor is just that, it is a short motor not a full replacement so wont have all the ancillary parts , audi supply different levels of short motor for the B7.
Some come with block and head etc others just new block , mine was a replacement block and bits , they reused the cylinder head etc .

Allso on a mapped 220 bul engine with 96,000 probably putting about 300ml in every 2-3 months. Going to try 5w40 ester based oil on next oil change. But driving style does influence it! Allso mayb worth noting if your planning to map it that the 220bul has forged pistons (pretty sure) so prob a safer option for tuning. Great cars for good money even you do have to stick abit of oil in now n again.