Buyers Help

alex13p

Reaction score
Evening,

I'm going to view and potentially buy an A4 1.8t 190 tomorrow morning. Very excited!

Couldn't see a buyers guide on here unless im being blind...

Could someone point me in right direction or if not, let me know some fundamental things to specifically look out for on this car.

Thanks!

Make sure it had had the oil pick up pipe mod done, if not this could be a potential banana skin.

You will need a bit more input from a petrol owner but the 1.8t's suffer from oil starvation to the top of the engine caused by the oil pick up pipe becoming blocked. Do a google search followed by Audi sport net and you should get loads of results.

Reactions: alex13p and Welshquattro
Mattyboyc is right. A FSH is the big one on the 1.8t. Long life services sound good but kills the engine over time as the oil pickup blocks up with the sludge that builds up in the sump and ends with top end oil starvation and the dreaded oil pressure light coming on. If ur lucky and no damage has happen then it's drain the oil,sump off, fit new oil pickup,clean the sump and new oil and filter. I change mine every 5-5 1/2k and had no problems.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replys.

I bought it in the end, a dolphin grey 1.8t 190 bex sport a4 avant 2003. It has got a few bits on it that need fixing but got it for a good price, so happy to sort them out...one of them being rusty front wings haha.

next stop, a full service, exhaust, coils and a remap!

Well done.Give Audi a ring as some 1.8t's had a recall on coils. Mines a 2004 1.8t bex and I had all the coils changed for free. A remap will make a big difference to it and well worth doing. I change the oil and filter on mine every 5k or so.

Did you find out if it's had the pick up pipe done?

Well done.Give Audi a ring as some 1.8t's had a recall on coils. Mines a 2004 1.8t bex and I had all the coils changed for free. A remap will make a big difference to it and well worth doing. I change the oil and filter on mine every 5k or so.
Every 5k is very eager! The has a big gap in the service book but hasn't done many miles since it's last service. This is next job on my list of things to do - I'm going to replace everything so I know where I stand.
Did you find out if it's had the pick up pipe done?
There was no mention of it in the paperwork and the trader, unsurprisingly, had no idea - the car was a part ex he took in.

Water pump and timing belt - depending on mileage. This can ruin your day and engine if hasn't been done.

Water pump and timing belt - depending on mileage. This can ruin your day and engine if hasn't been done.

Funny you mention that, it was advertised as being done 1000 miles ago. Took it into garage to investigate rubbing pulley sound and found that the cambelt has never been done grrrrrr...

All sorted now though..

Well you've had a heads up about the oil pick up situation on the 1.8T, ask around and I'm sure you'll find someone on here that's had it done and will be able to give you a guide price. If it were me I would be looking at having this done before you go down the route of your wish list.
Just my opinion of course and obviously it's not me so enjoy your new Audi whatever route you decide to take with it.

Reactions: Welshquattro
I bought it in the end, a dolphin grey 1.8t 190 bex sport a4 avant 2003. It has got a few bits on it that need fixing but got it for a good price, so happy to sort them out...one of them being rusty front wings haha.

A bit cheeky - Could I ask what you paid for it- approx - just listed my B6 Avant TDI 130 Sport.

Just taken this quote from someone selling a 1.8t on the bay, I couldn't remember the parts for the oil pick up but this should give you a better idea.
"Oil pump changed 4000 miles ago with pickup pipe and strainer so wont be needed for a long while and no sludge issues which can be a big problem with these B6's".
Hope this is of help should you ever need it.