Buy now or buy facelift?

AGAG

Reaction score
Hey, so I’m looking for advice on what people would suggest to do when it comes to getting into an A5 at the moment (I’m coming towards the end of an A3 PCP at the moment). On the one hand there are some really great lease deals for the A5 Sportback Black Edition right now that expire in April but on the other hand I’m in love with the facelift now that I’ve seen it and can’t help but think I’d always dream of that facelift Edition 1. Problem is I can’t find any lease priced anywhere for the facelift and I’m worried that I’ll miss out on the chance to get an A5 at all if I wait until after April when a lot of the offers expire and WLTP makes things more expensive. If only I knew what the prices were/would be for the facelift it could make the decision much much easier.

Do we think these prices will shoot up considerably for the facelift? Should I buy whilst it’s cheap? Currently Black Edition A5 is 330 per month, 10k miles and 3 months initial deposit (2 years, could go to 3 but it’s a tiny difference in price). Looking at a pcp on the same car it’s coming out at 580 per month from Audi.

It's what you want that counts. Obviously there are some good deals on the outgoing model that probably will not be there with the facelift, but then it is always money against choice. I guess deals will start to filter though soon as they can be configured on the Audi website...

This A5 facelift is the first time I;ve looked at an updated version of a current car and thought "meh". I'm usually the guy that wants to trade-in for the newer version. Take a look at the specs to see if the pre-facelist Black edition has more kit than the newer one. My brother-in-law has just taken delivery of the one of those lease deals and they've actually gone up from when he first looked at them a month before.

If you really like the face-lift then go for it as you're going to have this car for a few years with no way to get out early if its a lease so you need to make sure you're getting what you really want. Personal past experience tells me that you'll be paying much more for it than the deals on the table right now.

So all depends if its worth it for a touch screen and headlights that look more "A1" than "R8".

Reactions: Jonnie
Thanks for the advice both, I’ll definitely do a check on equipment for current vs facelift now you come to mention it.

Facelift isn't worth the extra cash, if you can get a pre facelift one for a good deal I'd go ahead with it

I do prefer the facelift - I prefer the new lights (although not bothered about them animating), the extra bits of trim and the faster MMI so if there's only £30 in it then id go for that. It's trying to find out what that price difference is, if it's anywhere near an extra £100 then it's not worth it for such minor changes. I'm waiting for a call back for some details with a lease company to try and get a ballpark on how much the difference might be.

It's this video that has got me slathering at the thought of a facelift model:

I do like those new lights and larger screen, but that isn't really enough for me to sway it, you won't ever see the lights when driving for a start!

Interesting to see a 50 TDI model listed too, from what all of the Audi dealers have told me so far when I've enquired they only have the 190bhp ones, no quattro and everything was Diesel.

It's difficult for me as I only do 4/5 miles to work each day and then the odd extra outside of work, my diesel currently doesn't really benefit me in the slightest.

Just be aware you can now only get the 40 tfsi engine, the 35 tfsi one has gone, prices for the s-line are now over £40k so extra tax each month...that will be added onto the cars monthly figures! And there isn't a black edition, it's been replaced with an edition 1.

My main choice for going with a 18 plate was the price and equipment level... I cannot stand touch screens in cars and much prefer the swivel wheel. Go in and try both and see what you find easier!

Kind regards in SC.

I do prefer the facelift - I prefer the new lights (although not bothered about them animating), the extra bits of trim and the faster MMI so if there's only £30 in it then id go for that. It's trying to find out what that price difference is, if it's anywhere near an extra £100 then it's not worth it for such minor changes. I'm waiting for a call back for some details with a lease company to try and get a ballpark on how much the difference might be.

It's this video that has got me slathering at the thought of a facelift model:

That does look nice. I'll eat my hat if there's only £30 a month in it like for like. Current stock is heavilty discounted for a reason - to shift it, to clear inventory for the face-lift. No such urgency on the new model.

Been offered £10,700 off of a current spec one to renew my PCP so again to echo Evil Derboy, I'd be very surprised if it's £30 price difference.

Had a similar dilemma but went for the current Black Edition as I couldn't wait for the new one and one became available in a good colour. Difference with the facelift is bigger display screen and virtual cockpit as standard (and the facelift, obviously).