Facelift Buy cash or use a PCP?

£200 paying bingo!! How many cards does she play?
lol exactly what I said :) it's people like this that say things like "How can they afford another new Audi?", when you change your car!

Reactions: Jassyo06, richinsoton, SteveMcB and 2 others
Dr Eskimo, completely get that, but the Mrs get dosh from work and will inevitably change it in year two.

For me secondhand all the way!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
The problem with buying second-hand is you have to accept the car and options that someone else has chosen. If I'm going to spend even the amount of money for a second-hand A3 I want what I want. Just saving money does not mean that much to me if it means I cannot have exactly what I want.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, DrEskimo and Tom.H
The problem with buying second-hand is you have to accept the car and options that someone else has chosen. If I'm going to spend even the amount of money for a second-hand A3 I want what I want. Just saving money does not mean that much to me if it means I cannot have exactly what I want.

Indeed, my plan is to get a used S3 next. Don't plan to buy until another good 7/8months, but I've been watching the used car market and still haven't had a 13/14 plate, <20k miles S3 3dr Black Ed. in Daytona grey with folding mirrors and Tech Pack come up yet.....

If you have a habit of changing cars every 2/3yrs, it only takes a couple of out of warranty repairs, along with all the service items associated with the high mileage, to be similar to a new car with a decent discount.

Have no idea what to do with my next car now...!

Reactions: Audi Bairn

That's the big issue, when I was looking to buy an R32, I had to have deep blue pearl and the Recaro bucket seats. At the money I had to spend I only found one! 8 and a half years later I'm now changing it.

Reactions: Jassyo06
As far as Cash or PCP is concerned the only advantage I can see for going down the PCP route is the Guaranteed Minimum Final Value at the end if the term. With the current way the world seems to be looking at diesel cars will my 184 diesel still be worth it's value in 3-4 years time when I next come to change my car. With a PCP I know it will at least be worth the GMFV. It's a bit like an insurance for the value when I come to change.

As far as Cash or PCP is concerned the only advantage I can see for going down the PCP route is the Guaranteed Minimum Final Value at the end if the term. With the current way the world seems to be looking at diesel cars will my 184 diesel still be worth it's value in 3-4 years time when I next come to change my car. With a PCP I know it will at least be worth the GMFV. It's a bit like an insurance for the value when I come to change.

A good example is my father in law, who got his Nissan Leaf on a good PCP deal.

It's coming to the end of the deal and he has a settlement of £15,000. WBAC are offering him £8,000....!

He's able to just hand the car back and walk away, leaving Nissan to swallow the shortfall. The gamble for you is, will the car have a shortfall of the same amount of the interest you pay over 3/4yrs?

Personally I would buy it (if you are still set on diesel, if you are genuinely worried I would work out the additional running costs of a petrol and see if that's a better option?) and then have the view that you may trade it in early if you see the market for diesels starting to take a dive?

Lots of forecasts about 2020 introducing bans in cities, so who knows really...

Personally think you will be fine but worth keeping in mind.

I have already made the choose of the 184 diesel and it's sitting in Emden at the moment waiting for a ship to bring to the UK.

Who knows what will happen in 3/4 years. German cities already any diesel that does not meet the EUR6 standard under Umwelt system. Fortunately for me my existing and my new one both meet that standard. As far as UK cities are concerned I stay away from them as much as possible!

Also I have found a useful little program on the internet for working out PCP monthly rates. The only slight problem is you need to know the GMFV. It can be found at www.pcpcal.co.uk.

Audi UK's own Finance Calculator seems to be not working at the moment.

Reactions: richinsoton
**** it dave just go the Full Monty since yer loaded.....get yerself a bucket list car.....one of these lol but ye cant have sex in the back mate....lol

Bucket list car

Reactions: Migwire, Joe4842, SteveMcB and 2 others
I'm sorry but at my time of life I would rather have an A3.

Reactions: richinsoton, SteveMcB and Audi Bairn

Any cars value is dictated by supply and demand....whether its on a PCP or not,l have seen my S3's value go up and down like a frickin pogo stick over the last 6 months, and your better selling a car whilst its still under warranty ergo the magic 30 month mark

I'm sorry but at my time of life I would rather have an A3.

LOL, know exactly what you mean, I spent November delivering top end motors about Scotland, Ferraris, Lambos, Bentleys, Masis and Porkers. Sounds like the dream ticket but some of these £200K+ cars are hellish to drive. It was amazing how quickly the novelty wore off, I'm not even that old either :wtf:.

Just to throw something else into the mix.....what if you was planning on keeping the car for 6+ years....what would be the best option then?? Cash or PCP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to throw something else into the mix.....what if you was planning on keeping the car for 6+ years....what would be the best option then?? Cash or PCP?

Think the same thing applies?

Depending on the exact terms of the PCP, you will be paying additional interest over and above the cost of the car. Whether that's 2 years or 10 years.

Reactions: richinsoton
Think the max term for PCP is 49 months, although I could be wrong.

So it would be more beneficial to pay cash (personal loan etc) if I was planning on keeping the car for over 6 years?

So it would be more beneficial to pay cash (personal loan etc) if I was planning on keeping the car for over 6 years?

Yes, PCP is a very expensive way to buy a car...

your better selling a car whilst its still under warranty ergo the magic 30 month mark
Got to agree with this as it gives the buyer 6 months peace of mind, plus you are 'normally' 6 month after/before the last/next service.

100%, PCP is for those that wish to change their cars every few years.

100%, PCP is for those that wish to change their cars every few years.[/QUOTE]

But if I'm wanting to keep the car for 6 years or more to enjoy the car and the options then cash is better?

Indeed, my plan is to get a used S3 next. Don't plan to buy until another good 7/8months, but I've been watching the used car market and still haven't had a 13/14 plate, <20k miles S3 3dr Black Ed. in Daytona grey with folding mirrors and Tech Pack come up yet.....

If you have a habit of changing cars every 2/3yrs, it only takes a couple of out of warranty repairs, along with all the service items associated with the high mileage, to be similar to a new car with a decent discount.

Have no idea what to do with my next car now...!
You Can have my S3 which should be up for sale in about 7/8 months lol

Personally i would pay cash. Im not a fan of credit and try to avoid it in most walks of life. I bought my A3 cash,wasnt as much as yours will be but as it was a 2yr old A3, it was still a hefty sum for me to pay out (maybe not to others ;) !!) Paying cash gives me freedom to do what i want, when i want. i can sell my A3 tomorrow, buy another and then sell it the next day! No worry about bills going out, its paid for and insured so its done. I do move around a lot and have periods when i don't work & some when i do so the flexibility to know its paid for is best for me. I would have thought that with your mortgage paid for etc... you wouldn't want the hassle of a bill going out or worry of condition for the PCP deal? If you go finance route then defo get your cash in to a good bank account. i put mine in Nationwide & Santander accounts. Nationwide offers 5% interest in Savings and 3% current account!

Unless Audi have updated the final payment PCP all the way for the protection.
I had an SE 3 years old booked in A1 condition, worth less at 3yrs than it should have been at 4 years as a trade in.

We also have a VW UP, again 3 years old, UP should be worth £4400 at 4 years, at 3 years 24k miles A1 condition £3700.

The A3 was voluntarily terminated and the UP is going through the process.

Dispite what vw/Audi might say trade ins are about £1k down, looking at the UP they have now reduced the GMV by £1k.

Only a PCP gives you the protection to walk away and in today's climate with the brand it's worth having.

Unless Audi have updated the final payment PCP all the way for the protection.
I had an SE 3 years old booked in A1 condition, worth less at 3yrs than it should have been at 4 years as a trade in.

We also have a VW UP, again 3 years old, UP should be worth £4400 at 4 years, at 3 years 24k miles A1 condition £3700.

The A3 was voluntarily terminated and the UP is going through the process.

Dispite what vw/Audi might say trade ins are about £1k down, looking at the UP they have now reduced the GMV by £1k.

Only a PCP gives you the protection to walk away and in today's climate with the brand it's worth having.

This is a very good point, but...if you are paying upwards of £2500 in interest, the potential saving of £700-£1000 still doesn't add up.

I would also wonder how much of this is a symptom of less desirable cars. In the most polite way possible, I can't imagine there isn't a huge demand or desire for the SE Audi cars, or a VW UP. I imagine as you go up the range, this is less of an issue.

Finally, did you get different quotes from different dealers and WBAC? I got quotes for my S5 after 12months ranging from £30,000 to £33,000. This put me anywhere from -£200 to +£3,200 equity....

Yes multiple quotes, not sure about the A3 but on the Up the GMV has been reduced by over 1k from where it was 3 years ago.

Usually borrowing money to fund a depreciating asset is not advisable/sensible......however if your return on the cash in the period exceeds the interest you will be charged on PCP then consider the gamble.

Dont forget Audi employ finance types to make sure Audi make money from PCP so dont set out to beat them.......PCPs were originally designed to get people to buy better cars than they could really afford and fill dealers with a supply of lightly used cars.

As for me, my S3 was bought cash which has the added benefit of you justifying the type/cost of options you spec. In 2014 my new S3 with £2k of extras for less than £29k......bargain.

"If it appreciates, buy it; if it depreciates, lease it."

Reactions: DrEskimo and Ormesome
Usually borrowing money to fund a depreciating asset is not advisable/sensible......however if your return on the cash in the period exceeds the interest you will be charged on PCP then consider the gamble.

Dont forget Audi employ finance types to make sure Audi make money from PCP so dont set out to beat them.......PCPs were originally designed to get people to buy better cars than they could really afford and fill dealers with a supply of lightly used cars.

As for me, my S3 was bought cash which has the added benefit of you justifying the type/cost of options you spec. In 2014 my new S3 with £2k of extras for less than £29k......bargain.

I think if you spec the car with all the options then buy the car and keep it for 6+ years to enjoy them as other people has advised.

Brought used with cash. Car was probably from a PCP where the buyer left early. PCP I guess is good if you want the option to bail and offset against a new car -;

I think if you spec the car with all the options then buy the car and keep it for 6+ years to enjoy them as other people has advised.

No longer the case necessarily, the PCP will consider the option price PLUS the effect on the future value so if Audi change x for the option but consider it a crucial option come sell time the final payment might give you half of x back. That means that the cost to the punter of that scenario may work out better than using cash..........however you pay for the car just don't get carried away by the UKs obsession with new cars and expensive options.

If you have the cash and no other debts, pay cash. If you have other debts then consider paying them off first before buying new expensive cars, alternatively consider a 2yr old S3 with an extension of the warranty to 5years and that is the best deal as the original punter will have lost the most. My 2.5yr old still goes like the clappers and nowt wrong with it and funnily enough I can live without scrolling indicators and 10bhp more which some people on here seem obsessed by ;). I totally expect the car to continue to work just fine for another 2.5years making the total cost of ownership pretty good for a car with that performance.

As so many of these discussions end, all to do with individual circumstance and the buyers attitude (and access to) to money.

No longer the case necessarily, the PCP will consider the option price PLUS the effect on the future value so if Audi change x for the option but consider it a crucial option come sell time the final payment might give you half of x back. That means that the cost to the punter of that scenario may work out better than using cash..........however you pay for the car just don't get carried away by the UKs obsession with new cars and expensive options.

If you have the cash and no other debts, pay cash. If you have other debts then consider paying them off first before buying new expensive cars, alternatively consider a 2yr old S3 with an extension of the warranty to 5years and that is the best deal as the original punter will have lost the most. My 2.5yr old still goes like the clappers and nowt wrong with it and funnily enough I can live without scrolling indicators and 10bhp more which some people on here seem obsessed by ;). I totally expect the car to continue to work just fine for another 2.5years making the total cost of ownership pretty good for a car with that performance.

As so many of these discussions end, all to do with individual circumstance and the buyers attitude (and access to) to money.

Due to the initial depreciation I had never bought a brand new car and never thought I would.
Just over a year ago I ago I decided I wanted a used but newish 12-18 month old SQ5 with low miles, but it was impossible to find one at a price I was happy with. After I stumbled on carwow it turned out that, with discounts, buying brand new actually wasn't that much more than used so I bit the bullet and went for it.
It is nice having a new car specced exactly how you want it and the plan is to keep it for a while but it is a load of money to part with and I know I'll take a big hit when the time comes so it could also be the last brand new car I'll buy.