Bumper Service Position?

Graemetee

Reaction score
I've noticed this weekend that the serpentine belt on my B7 is looking a little sorry for itself and is probably due a change.
The front end looks a little short on space to change it and I've read somewhere that you can put the front bumper into a service position. Despite Googling it I can't find any information on putting the bumper into the service position.

Could anyone shed some light on how to do this with the bumper?

What engine do you have? I think the service position is just releasing the bumper and resting it on the deck. How to remove bumper in this video and I did it just last week so it works.

Reactions: Graemetee
Remove bumper.
Remove crash bar.
Remove front panel to wing bolts.
Remove 7x front panel bolts that attach it to chassis legs and screw in threaded rod or longer bolts into two of the holes and slide the whole front end forward.

That's the basic steps, there might be a few other clips or bolts to release but that's the way I remember it.

I've had a good look at the car today and it looks like I might be able to get the belt replaced without pulling the whole front out.

One thing that I'm struggling to figure out is how to release the tension on the belt. I've had a good look about but can't see any obvious flats for a spanner or hole for an allen key on the tensioner. I'm sure that it'll be as plain as the nose on my face once I figure it out!

Can anyone tell me what I need to get the tensioner into the lock position on a 2.0 Tfsi with the BUL engine?

Graemetee

Good quality 17mm Open ended spanner does the Job, you should see the square portion on the face piece(Roller) and there is a 3-5mm hole right in the middle of that face, that can be aligned with a similar hole on the rear section, just lever it back until it hits its stopping point, then insert a small rod or nail of about 3 inches in length in the face side.....viola the belt can be removed, without the need to drop the front end.....smallish hands!!!....just watch your knuckles...;)

Gates V-Ribbed Pulley Belt 6 x 1573mm 6PK1573
Gates Tensioner Pulley T38207

These were the parts that I used.

Hope this is of help..:)

That's perfect, thanks for that.

I'll have another look in the morning, I'm pretty sure I know what you mean though.

I reckon you'll find a complete YouTube video on how to change that belt.