Bumper problems

KeeefyB

KeeefyB
Reaction score
So, at work yesterday one of the lads said “What have you done to your bumper?” Went to have a look and found this has happened...

994c95f1c81bdc988528794bfb507e4b.jpg

Looks like someone’s either had a go at pulling it off or someone’s caught it while I’ve been parked up.

First thoughts are me needing a new bumper, painting and fitting etc but am I over exaggerating and is it fixable?

I’ve never taken the bumper off personally so don’t know the mounting points. It’s been taken off for work done etc.

Does it look fixable or am I going to have to plough more money into it?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbh those fixing points are on the wing & it could.be repaired with something like topfix, this is £30 a tube & nozzles are £1 each & one use only.

Unless you can see any damage to the paintwork, that looks like it's been pulled off as even the side fixing is broken & only way you'd otherwise get that fixing snapped of is by a knock from another obstacle tbh.

Is topfix easy to get hold of? I’ve never heard of it so don’t know if I could get it local.

I immediately thought someone’s had a go at pulling it off, but then thought what would be the point in that? Can’t have naff all without some little scruff coming along

Headlights?

I'm speculating based on your pics of course & no report of paint or bumper face damage.

You can buy on eBay, you'll needs an applicator gun too.

It's going to be a fiddly job tbh, you'll need to roughen up the bumper surface to create a better adhesive base so the topfix bonds into the bumper better as flat it may not stay on for long.

Did an A3 recently & it is solid as a weld joint, this stuff is very very good g goes of super quick & hard as hell.

Just ****** expensive but it's saved clients allot of money in replacing parts.

I pulled my front bumper out, got stuck on a high curb, very common on lowered cars.
I tried to repair last year trying different adhesives, hot glue gun, failed. 2 part syringe epoxy, failed.
put the bumper back and will try again this year.
The problem is the bumper is made of PP EDPM as is very difficult to bond, been trying to find a product that works,
There is a repair guide on Nick's Audi Blog, just Google, he used product called Fusor 143, but you cannot buy in the UK.

I have bought Upol 901 with a surface modifier spray, I want Upol 915 but cannot get hold of it also.
I found a piece of car bumper on the road from a VW, it was made of PP EDPM so cut up so bits and used the Upol 901 and spray.
It has glued very well, put a bit on, cannot break it off, I guess it would if I put alot of pressure on it.
The problem is that the piece that peels off the bumper, the part with the 2 bolts in the wing is quite thin and is difficult to bond in place,
The product I bought sets in a minute and you must work fast, I am thinking of tacking it on first to hold in place, then use the glue.
Just waiting for the spring weather to do the job.

Yeah it's true, its a very thin piece on that edge & you can't build it up too much or it'll protude.

Same part was snapped of on the A3 I recently repaired after someone didn't understand how to remove it properly, the topfix worked perfectly as long as you prepare the surface, bond minimally in position 1st with topfix, let it go of until the part stands by itself, then topfix all round the joint & add some to the bonding surface surrounding area which gives it more grip per se.

I'll look into upol, never heard if it.

Yes, that what I am going to do, I guess Topfix is about the same as the Upol I have, it's made by the same people who make tiger seal
and Isopon but it's more of a trade product .
Just need some good weather to do the job, hopefully in couple of months.☀️

In my opinion, and fixing damage like this every day,(im a panel beater) if it was my car, id look into a replacement second hand bumper. It could be repaired, although it may not be a 100% repair due to the location of the damage. The return edge where it meets the outer face of the bumper isn't the strongest at the best of times!

Should you look at a repairing it, your best bet would be to use a hot staple kit to join the 2 parts back together, this will help provide the strongest possible bond between the 2 parts. You could then finish with the bonding and a plastic repair mesh.

The 2 pack bonding adhesives are designed to be used in conjunction with other plastic repair materials whilst using correct repair procedures for best results, its not always as simple as gluing it back together

Reactions: Alex banu
Hi Alex, thanks for the sharing your expertise on this, and I agree it not the strongest part of the bumper.
Sadly most of us don't have access to body shop equipment like you do, you lucky man.
I thought about buying a second hand bumper, but finding an Sline one in Avus Silver is difficult to say the least.
Not sure if there is enough material on these parts to use hot staple, I don't have one anyway so will have to try what I bought
with plastic repair mesh.

Hi Alex, thanks for the sharing your expertise on this, and I agree it not the strongest part of the bumper.
Sadly most of us don't have access to body shop equipment like you do, you lucky man.
I thought about buying a second hand bumper, but finding an Sline one in Avus Silver is difficult to say the least.
Not sure if there is enough material on these parts to use hot staple, I don't have one anyway so will have to try what I bought
with plastic repair mesh.

Yep thats a perk of the job i suppose!
Ive repaired similar damage using various methods, and either way its a PITA and never a 100% due to its location! Your method will more than likely do just fine but its worth the input if it helps a guy out i suppose!

I wish you good luck with your repairs!

Let us know how you get on

Alex

Cheers for the advise guys.

I think I’m going to have to look for a new bumper. I’ll never be happy with the fit otherwise and I’ll always be picky about it.

So, the bumper hunt starts

Cheers for the advise guys.

I think I’m going to have to look for a new bumper. I’ll never be happy with the fit otherwise and I’ll always be picky about it.

So, the bumper hunt starts

Where abouts are you located and do you have front parking sensors?

I’m only in Doncaster and Ive not got parking sensors

Totally agree with Alex on this one as I'm also in the repair and paint trade, your spend hours of work for something that will frankly never last over time, speed bumps, pot holes, uneven roads anything really all sends vibrations through the bumpers and that weak point will just fall apart over time and crack through.

Unfortunately the only feasible option is second hand and have it painted the same colour as your car (paint code in the boot floor) your save labour cost stripping the bumper down yourself and you wont need to blend as bumpers generally sit a slightly different shade as its on plastic so your probably looking at about £150-180 for a good repaint on a stripped down bumper.

Totally agree with Alex on this one as I'm also in the repair and paint trade, your spend hours of work for something that will frankly never last over time, speed bumps, pot holes, uneven roads anything really all sends vibrations through the bumpers and that weak point will just fall apart over time and crack through.

Unfortunately the only feasible option is second hand and have it painted the same colour as your car (paint code in the boot floor) your save labour cost stripping the bumper down yourself and you wont need to blend as bumpers generally sit a slightly different shade as its on plastic so your probably looking at about £150-180 for a good repaint on a stripped down bumper.

Yeah, I think that’s going to be the way I have to go. Shame because I just seem to be ploughing money into it within the last 6 months

Yeah, I think that’s going to be the way I have to go. Shame because I just seem to be ploughing money into it within the last 6 months

Tell me about it mate, we got two cars in are family and im when i had the superbike as well all i was doing was putting money into them all, it never ends, you take the good with the bad i guess.