Bump and Grind - What the hells that noise?

MikeSel^

Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mikesel.info
Hello All

I have just got back from a 180 mile round trip.. as I pulled into my car park it sounded like my exhaust had fallen off and was dragging along the floor. So I jumped out but could see nothing! After further investigation it appears it's coming from the brakes?? Or wheel on passenger side..

Now I know **** about mechanics, but am pretty sure it's not good!

Any ideas people?

Cheers

hi m8, its possibly a worn wheel bearing or maybe a brake pad thats come apart, have u checked to see if the wheel wobbles etc whilst the cars jacked up?

I have just got back from a 180 mile round trip.. as I pulled into my car park it sounded like my exhaust had fallen off and was dragging along the floor. So I jumped out but could see nothing! After further investigation it appears it's coming from the brakes?? Or wheel on passenger side..

I had the same symptoms some time ago, and I eventually discovered that it was caused by a small pebble which was caught between the front disk and the static shield plate behind the disk. As you say, given the very loud grinding noise, it sounded like something had dropped and was dragging on the ground, or the wheel bearing was about to collapse in flames. You might be lucky and find the same cause ....

Yup.. Thanks for your help and suggestions guys.. It was indeed a small stone behind the disc! God knows how it had managed to get in there.. An thankfully I didn't call the AA out to it :blush:

All sorted now :)

I have this happen all the time. Scared the bee-jeebers out of me the first time, Had the wife holding a lead-light, while I took the wheels off . . . . just to discover a pebble.

Have since realised that reversing a little way, when the noise starts, usually gets rid of the offending stone. :o.k:

Wierd! This happened to me the first evr time last week, i shat myself! Told my dad and he immediately said brake pads or stone, and it was the stone, although it sounds awful, for such a small thing..

Glad its sorted!

Had this before, its such a bad noise!

But wacking it into reverse went you first hear it normally fixes it! (Just dont do that on a motorway!)

Me too - thought my exhaust had fallen off and was dragging on the ground - schoolkids staring at me as I drove past.