Bulbs to replace Halogen DRL

ok guys, speaking to poli84, a supplier and looking around. Here is the list for the 3 door 8P S3 2008 with bi-xenon (Also checked for 2010 5 door S3 8PA) LEDs for all interior, rear plates and DRLs

1) Front Dome module:
- Main Dome Lights: 2 X 6411 Festoon (41mm)
- Map Lights: 2 X BA9S with side firing

2) Rear Dome module (Sportsback have Main Dome Lights at rear also I believe):
- Map lights: 2 X BA9S with side firing

3) Sunvisor (vanity): 2 X 6418 Festoon 37mm (can be 36mm also)

4) Glovebox: 1 X 194 T10 wedge

5) Boot (trunk): 1 X 194 T10 wedge (People having issue with this one without a resistor)

6) Puddle (doors): 2 X 194 T10 wedge

7) Footwell: 2 X 194 T10 wedge

8) Plate No: 2 X 6418 Festoon 37mm (or 36mm)

9) DRL: 2 X P21W (Can someone tell me what the Sportsback will have? PS19W?)

Hope this helps. If anyone knows the rest (Lo Beam/Hi beam (non xenon), xenons, front indicators, side indicators, front foglights, parkers, rear mains, rear brakes, reverse, rear indicators, and fog light then I can add). It would be good to have them all in one place (for pre and post face lift, 3 and 5 door, Non xenon, Xenon).

Last edited:
Yep, LED sidelights, again much improved for very little dollar ;)

Sorry mate, havent taken any yet - car is garaged up for the night at the mo and I'm a bit worse for wear - sun and beer gardens aint mixing well. I'll grab some tomorrow morning and post them up.

I went for the 'Chrome Super White DRLs' (take it you did too) - they have a blue tint from a certain angle but still, I like em. Then changed the orangey indicators to the chrome ones along with replacing the sidelights with LED's. I'll take pics of all lights to give you an idea of what they look like.

Sorry for the delay mate - took pictures on Sunday and they were rubbish due to a combination of crap camera on my phone and bright sunshine - same problem tonight but thought I'd post them up anyway...

Theyre huge, but couldnt resize them via my phone (posting from phone)...

Without lights on (changed the orange indicators to chrome ones):

20110704_001.jpg

DRL's - Chrome Super White - they have a blue tinge when looking at them but the phone cam isnt picking this up:

20110704_003.jpg

LED Side Lights:

20110704_002.jpg

Led Sidelights and Xenons:

20110704_004.jpg

They look better in person - hard to tell / prove taht from above but I dont think you'll be disappointed with bang for buck

Well its been 2 months and one of the Mtec bulbs failed on sunday. Contacted the seller on ebay as the bulbs have a 1 year guarantee and he asked me to send him proof of smashing up the bulb and he will send out the replacement.

c1d3f3f3.jpg

cfb84875.jpg

replacement bulb is on its way, may even be delivered today, will check when i get home later.

ok so to update, since the faulty bulb i had in July was broken and i had contacted the seller, I received the replacement bulb that worked fine.
Then another couple days later the other bulb went so again i contacted the seller, broke the bulb, sent him the pics and a few days later another replacement turned up.

so less than a further 2 months and again one of the bulbs have blown. looks like there is a pattern here... so i am going to go down the route of LED DRLs with the clip on resistor seeing as no one has yet perfected the Canbus LED bulbs to work without the extra resistors.

I am thinking of getting these from the same seller as the Mtec bulbs as his service is the best i have had on ebay:
CANBUS 382 (P21W) 27 WHITE SMD LED ERROR FREE BULBS | eBay

Whats your thoughts on these to make the errors go away?
50w 6 ohm LOAD RESISTORS FOR LEDS OBC ERRORS CLEARED ! | eBay

just wanted to know from the guys that had installed these clip on jobbies how its going? did anything melt in the end? are they still working fine? any errors?

Right so have been in contact with the seller (hids-direct) who has very kindly agreed for me to pay just £10 and is now sending out the LED DRL bulb!

Highly recommend these guys as the service is second to none!

ok so to up date...

i got the bulbs from HIDs-Direct and fitted them in to get a perfect White LED DRL light that now matches the rest of the bulbs i have (Full LED interior and exterior with 8000k Xenon bi-xenon headlights and fog lights), but i had a fault come up on the DIS as the car thought i didnt have a bulb in there. the lights were still lit up but so was the fault...

so i waited until the resistors were delivered which turned up on Saturday morning and i am pleased to say that the fault is now clear and the bulbs are working perfectly!

I left the resistors dangling outside of the headlamps as i didnt want to melt anything, the wires that are connected to the resistors are quiet thick which means the wires can be bent and shaped to how i wanted it to sit so that it doesnt knock onto anything in the engine bay.

If anyone wants to have LED DRLs i recommend the resistors linked above from ebay!

Have got myself very confused reading through all this! Lol. Simply could someone please send me a link to some bulbs/LEDs that are a xenon white look but are just plug and play no messing about with resistors or errors coming up. Cheers

Sorry to disappoint mate but after testing we found that the mtec bulbs just can't handle being in all day and blow and the led ones give errors without the use of resistors.
I would advise to get te led bulbs and use the resistors as once you have it wired in they last ages! I still have my led DRLs that I put in last year working perfectly with no issues

Ah fair enough! Don't spose you could send me a link to the LEDs you have and the resistors? Would be very helpful mate. Also is there a guide on here to change them or are they straigh forward? Cheers

Mine are still going fine with resistors, think I got the ones NME listed off ebay. Had to buy orange LED indicators (that don't work, I don't think) to get the resistors but you can just go to Maplins or similar and buy a pair. Pics of mine are in post #77

Cheers. The LEDs say they error free, but I guess they ain't?

LED side-lights are error free, and there are error free LEDs for DRLs but apparently they don't last very long?

Although it states that it is error free it doesn't seem to fool the audi, as advised the sidelights work but the DRLs need the extra resistor

There is a theory that if you can code the central electrics module you can code it to the option of led DRLs and it will work without errors, but I tried that on my F module and got errors, maybe it only works on the k rev?? :think:

ash187. have got the LEDs, look great. have brought the resistors too, quite large aint they! im assuming they connect in parallel? what wires to to what? didnt get no instructions with the resistors. any help much appriciated cheers

Hi mate,
yes the 2 wires from the resistor goes one end to positive and the other goes to the negative of the drl bulb holder wires. Make sure you crimp them on tightly otherwise it won't form a stable connection and you will end up with errors