Bulb upgrades

henrytheeighth

Reaction score
Hi folks
I'm new to the forum and have just purchased my first Audi. 2011 A3 Sline. My question is I'm wanting to upgrade a few things over the next few months and first on the list is bulb replacement front and back. The car currently has the factory bulbs installed so are a bit dated. What would you recommend to give it a lift without causing errors.. obviously legal too

I'd speak to Trups at EM Tuning, I'm running his ballast boost kit in my car and it's the knackers!

Whats the ballast boost kit sounds interesting

Reactions: Sayam and e9_mustii
Whats the ballast boost kit sounds interesting

Yup peaked my attention do explain

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

So my car is 2009 and therefore comes with D3S bi-xenon bulb. The pre facelift cars had D1S. The main difference being that the later D3S system is Mercury free (the bulb that is) and therefore there is a trade off with performance to be mercury free.

the ballast boost kit is basically a retrofit kit that supplies a 35 watt (oem) or 55watt (upgraded) aftermarket ballast with D1S bulb and all the bits and bobs you need to fit it.

Result is more light output, and since the bulb is no longer D3S it the light output versus time graph is more linear until it gets to the very end of its life. whereas a D3S system will give less hours before the output tapers off.

I went for 55watt upgraded ballast with osram cool bulbs and it works lovely, and it's a DIY retrofit if you're handy with a torx driver and know where all the bolts are to get the front bumper off.

Wholeheartedly recommend the kit, and Trups at EM Tuning..it just works!

@t8ups

Edit - sorry if the info in my post is wrong, it was ages ago that I spoke to Trups and fitted this kit, I've posted the above from memory! But you get the idea...

Last edited:
So my car is 2009 and therefore comes with D3S bi-xenon bulb. The pre facelift cars had D1S. The main difference being that the later D3S system is Mercury free (the bulb that is) and therefore there is a trade off with performance to be mercury free.

the ballast boost kit is basically a retrofit kit that supplies a 35 watt (oem) or 55watt (upgraded) aftermarket ballast with D1S bulb and all the bits and bobs you need to fit it.

Result is more light output, and since the bulb is no longer D3S it the light output versus time graph is more linear until it gets to the very end of its life. whereas a D3S system will give less hours before the output tapers off.

I went for 55watt upgraded ballast with osram cool bulbs and it works lovely, and it's a DIY retrofit if you're handy with a torx driver and know where all the bolts are to get the front bumper off.

Wholeheartedly recommend the kit, and Trups at EM Tuning..it just works!

@t8ups

Edit - sorry if the info in my post is wrong, it was ages ago that I spoke to Trups and fitted this kit, I've posted the above from memory! But you get the idea...
Cheers man :thumbs up:

so trups supports the forum so always try to do business with family. However, Deautokey make a fantastic fog light setup which changes from bright white to yellow and flashing mode. The white matches the output of the drl's and headlight bulbs and the yellow is super bright. I like having the use of driving lights for clear dark roads and yellow for fog and rain so the combo is perfect. No errors for me and use them all the time