Building Dust

APaxton

Reaction score
Proud owner of a 4 week old a5- managed to get out to wash the car today and noticed as I was drying a thin layer of orange dust all over the car. I can only assume this is the same building dust we get all over the house as we live on a new build estate where they are still building. The dust seems to have caused a few swirl marks which as a novice to detailing I am cautious to attempt polishing out as I don’t want to cause more harm than good with the dust collecting so fast. Has anyone got any tips? Would it be safe to go ahead with polishing despite dust accumulating so fast?

Proud owner of a 4 week old a5- managed to get out to wash the car today and noticed as I was drying a thin layer of orange dust all over the car. I can only assume this is the same building dust we get all over the house as we live on a new build estate where they are still building. The dust seems to have caused a few swirl marks which as a novice to detailing I am cautious to attempt polishing out as I don’t want to cause more harm than good with the dust collecting so fast. Has anyone got any tips? Would it be safe to go ahead with polishing despite dust accumulating so fast?
you mean you got the thin layer of dust after washing??

you mean you got the thin layer of dust after washing??

Yeah, I snow foamed and then washed and rinsed the car as I was going round with a micro fibre towel to dry the car I noticed the dust had built up already.

I have no doubt it’s building dust - We get it quite bad in the house as well, we have to clean the blinds/windowsills almost daily as the site has moved back round behind the houses opposite us now.

Personally I wouldn’t polish outside if the dust is accumulating that fast. You’ll end up contaminating the pad and doing more harm than good. Even if you have a garage it sounds like it’s going to be tricky to get the paintwork clean enough to polish.

Almost sounds like a health hazard!

Personally I wouldn’t polish outside if the dust is accumulating that fast. You’ll end up contaminating the pad and doing more harm than good. Even if you have a garage it sounds like it’s going to be tricky to get the paintwork clean enough to polish.

That’s what I was worried about, I guess I’ll have to live with it until the site moves on - the rate they build it should only be a few months!

Agree fully with this. Suggest you try and do as much of a touchless wash as possible until the builders move on and be careful when you dry e.g. sheet the water off with the hose which should allow you to pat dry the remaining. You might want to think about those spray and rinse sealants to give a bit of protection without the need for buffing or wiping

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Agree fully with this. Suggest you try and do as much of a touchless wash as possible until the builders move on and be careful when you dry e.g. sheet the water off with the hose which should allow you to pat dry the remaining. You might want to think about those spray and rinse sealants to give a bit of protection without the need for buffing or wiping

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I’ll have a look at some sealants thanks, has anyone used any they can recommend?

Stating the obvious maybe but windy days tend to be a lot worse. I live on a similar site and when it’s windy the dust can accumulate quickly. If it’s a still day and you’re still getting a quick build up I have to agree that it sounds like a health hazard! The air pollution must be something shocking. Stick to calm days I reckon will help to a degree.

If it still builds quick, maybe try doing top panels one at a time. So wash rinse dry polish panel at a time. Obviously a ball ache and your completed panels will get wet again when doing other panels, but it might be your only way. Dunno, possibly a rubbish idea but it’s all I’ve got ha!

Stating the obvious maybe but windy days tend to be a lot worse. I live on a similar site and when it’s windy the dust can accumulate quickly. If it’s a still day and you’re still getting a quick build up I have to agree that it sounds like a health hazard! The air pollution must be something shocking. Stick to calm days I reckon will help to a degree.

If it still builds quick, maybe try doing top panels one at a time. So wash rinse dry polish panel at a time. Obviously a ball ache and your completed panels will get wet again when doing other panels, but it might be your only way. Dunno, possibly a rubbish idea but it’s all I’ve got ha!

Yeah I’m waiting for a day where it’s been raining recently and the wind has died down (though unfortunately it’s not often calm in leeds) to try again. Failing that I’m thinking of running it down to my parents to take care of it, bit extreme as they’re nearly 2 hours away but if I can get the paintwork corrected and sealed then hopefully it won’t be too much work thereafter to keep clean with minimal contact!

Reactions: Pook