Build week question - A3 delay

markjames

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

quick question if you don't mind. I just today received my build week for Glacier white 3dr A3 S-line (comfort pack, Audi sound system, privacy glass). So firstly, and forgive me if I sound stupid - build week 34 is the 34th week of this year (August 19th), is that correct? Or do they go by other conventions?

Secondly, I absolutely need my car for June 30th, order placed 1st Feb, and dealer gave me estimated delivery date of 15th May. By my caluclation, I won't be receiving my car until at least mid-September now.

So first question was build weeks, but secondly - how much grief do you think I should give the poor dealer? I don't really want to get angry if he is powerless.... however, the delay is a little too much in comparison to what I was promised. Its JCT600 York (Leeds-based dealer), and I think they have reasonable amounts of build slots.

Thanks all :yahoo:

Have a chat to the dealer. If your car is late after a confirmed build date, Audi will arrange a courtesy car. As these build dates are so far out from the original estimates, the dealer may be a to arrange something.

Most dealers automatically give a 12 week estimated delivery date as in most cases they can achieve this. Sounds like the other dealers are doing just that when you enquire. I wouldn't count on them getting the car any quicker though, unless as you said the supplying dealer has messed up the order. From that build date you looking at delivery in second week of September.

You only get a confirmed delivery date once the build date is 'locked in' by Audi. The salesman should be able to tell you when this happens as it's usually within 3-4 weeks after order. If it moves after this, I'd be pushing for a courtesy car to tide me over.

My car was ordered two weeks before yours and was delivered two weeks ago. That was a TDi though. It may well be that other engine choices are delayed. The options you've chosen look pretty standard and I can't see them causing issues.

I'd definitely speak firmly with the dealer. It's their job to keep you happy. If its Audi's fault they can negotiate something to keep you happy. If it's their fault, they're probably going to try and bury it so it doesn't cost them money!

What engine did you choose?

1.6 TDi S-tronic. I was told at the time it was a (fairly) new engine available... I wasn't so convinced, I am sure they launched with that engine? Its been a while now, to the point where if I was to reorder, i'd get the 1.2 TSFI (I have to be under 115BHP as its a motability car).

It didn't launch with the 1.6, that engine became available just before Christmas I believe. The S-tronic is a later addition too. From your order date to the point of delivery sounds like it could be around 7 months, which is the second case in a matter of days on this forum of the A3 having long production delays.

The initial advice from your dealer about delivery end of May equates to around 4 months - I would say this is the norm. Ask your dealer why it's slipped, and express your concerns about the length of time it's now expected to take. It's not unheard of for build dates to suddenly jump forward, this happened with the 5 door in January when build dates leapt forward by about 9 weeks.

Thank you. He is back tomorrow so will ask him and feedback here, hopefully it will be good news. Good luck to everyone else who are trying to get theirs....

1.6 TDi S-tronic. I was told at the time it was a (fairly) new engine available... I wasn't so convinced, I am sure they launched with that engine? Its been a while now, to the point where if I was to reorder, i'd get the 1.2 TSFI (I have to be under 115BHP as its a motability car).

It's probably the combination of engine/gearbox causing the delay. Audi are also quite slow releasing new models onto the Motability list as they negotiate quite sizeable national discounts, so the 1.2 may take some time to filter through. Is it an S-Line or a Sport? I can only see Sport listed on their website. The Sport should be quicker to deliver in theory so it may be worth asking the dealer what effect dropping the s-tronic would have on build date (unless of course you really need it.)

Motability will also keep you in your current car until the new one is delivered (assuming you already have a lease with them). The unfortunate thing is that Motability usually negotiate different terms with Audi for some of their services to keep pricing low. It may be that Motability provide you with a 'stop-gap' car rather than Audi.

The S-line model was on the list for 3 days when the A3 auto was added end of January - whether it was a mistake or not, I was very very lucky to get my order in for the S-line for what is now the price of the sport. I need to have an automatic unfortunately as I have hand controls etc.

I am already towards the end of my 6 month extension on my current car - I am confident motability will let me keep the current car indefinitely as I have an order in place, its just not ideal when I was supposed to change in October.

I am not particularly mad or anything, it is what it is, I love the new A3 and will wait as long as it takes. The main thing I am disgruntled about is that I told the dealer 3 times during January and February that 20th June was the date I'd been given by Motability to hand my car back post-extension, and he said that date wouldn't be a problem at all, it would be May.

We shall see what happens... cannot wait to get my hands on it :arco: Appreciate everyone's advice.

That was a good find then. It is frustrating though to have to wait so long.

Just an update for anyone interested, my dealer said today that Audi are struggling with the demand for the S-Tronic gearbox. He said that this gearbox is used in a few Porsche's, some BMW models and a few Audi's, and they cannot make the fast enough. He also said that Audi are currently trying to buy the company who produce the gearboxes, to improve production time and volume. Of course... he could be making it all up... but the outcome is that he is confident that he has absolutely zero pulling power regarding the build week, and those who have ordered s-tronic just have to wait it out.

Ah well.... It'l be worth the wait :redface:

Think theres a touch of BS there. The gearboxes are produced in VAG's Kassel factory in central Germany. Whilst originally designed by BorgWarner and licensed to VAG, with support by IAV GmbH, as stated they are now all produced in house.

also, whilst some of the DSG/ S-Tronic boxes are used by Porsche (a VAG group family member), they are not produced for BMW.

BS indeed. VAG have several DSG/S-tronic gearboxes not all designed or made by the same people and certainly not used by BMW
I think it's more likely that rolling out the A3 in other markets, plus the launch of the Saloon version is loading up the factory. Add to that the launch and rollout of the new Golf, Skoda Octavia and SEAT Leon which all use the new range of engines and the same gearboxes and its quite a logistics problem they have
My dealer told me back in February that any new A3 orders, and indeed A1 orders were getting September delivery dates.

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm really glad this has started as I didn't wan't to start a new thread and look even more of a numpty, but by coincidence I received a text today from Audi JCT600, regards to your order i can now tell you your A3 SB is scheduled into week 22 which is week commencing 27/05/2014 !!!!! 2014 ..I hope this is a typo !!!! Cpould someone help a thicko and tell me what the week is (ie 22) , is that the week its going to start getting bulit in Germany, or date its gonna be shipped over...Before this text and when I ordered it ( Sunday March 17th they told me it should be here Spetember ???? But may be early ie August but we didn't want it in August, not snobbery of having a 63 plate, but for the sake of a week or so and resale value we wanted a 63 plate........Nothing special, Glacier white SB, Pan Roof, privacy glass, comfort pack, cruise control, rear parking sensors, aqoustic glass whatever the hell that is ?? Anyway , what is week 22 please,

Many thanks Chris,

Ps 2.0TDi

Hi all, I'm really glad this has started as I didn't wan't to start a new thread and look even more of a numpty, but by coincidence I received a text today from Audi JCT600, regards to your order i can now tell you your A3 SB is scheduled into week 22 which is week commencing 27/05/2014 !!!!! 2014 ..I hope this is a typo !!!! Cpould someone help a thicko and tell me what the week is (ie 22) , is that the week its going to start getting bulit in Germany, or date its gonna be shipped over...Before this text and when I ordered it ( Sunday March 17th they told me it should be here Spetember ???? But may be early ie August but we didn't want it in August, not snobbery of having a 63 plate, but for the sake of a week or so and resale value we wanted a 63 plate........Nothing special, Glacier white SB, Pan Roof, privacy glass, comfort pack, cruise control, rear parking sensors, aqoustic glass whatever the hell that is ?? Anyway , what is week 22 please,

Many thanks Chris,

Ps 2.0TDi

Hi Chris,

definitely a typo. Week 22 is May 27, 2013, meaning that you have infact been lucky in my opinion, as its well on schedule and would appear to be being built quite quickly considering it was ordered in march. I imagine you are going to get an early July delivery....

Much luckier than my JCT600 experience so far

Thanks for that Mark :) ... I still don't want it till september lol, I might save my pennies and order some extra's to slow it down, how much are folding mirrors:blink:....So in short week 22 is when they are going to start building it ????

Thanks for that Mark :) ... I still don't want it till september lol, I might save my pennies and order some extra's to slow it down, how much are folding mirrors:blink:....So in short week 22 is when they are going to start building it ????

Yeah that's when It'll get built, and it's my understanding that its about 1 month after the build week to arrive on average. You might want to be careful though - I think that usually changing the spec of your order can basically put your order to the back of the queue again, so it might end up that adding more extras delays the car beyond September (only speculating though, I think it can depend on which extras you add). Probs best asking your dealer.

Your best bet would be to see if your dealer is happy to take delivery of it and store it unregistered until September. If they are happy to, at least you know that you can pick it up newly registered on 1st sept, instead of playing this guessing game.

Seems like we have ordered almost the same car apart from yours is a SB - hope you enjoy it :)

Hi everyone, just an update and another quick question.

Audi called today to say that my car had been brought forward from week 34 to week 25, but is subject to shift either way by 2 weeks. Hopefully it comes forward.

However, he said that the reason it had been delayed is that they were 'waiting for model year 14' to build my car. Does that mean I am going to get any kind of extras because its a later model? I read DAB radio is becoming standard?