Build Update, Clarification & Advice Required

IanMW

Reaction score
Hello all,

It’s been a while since I posted anything, so if anyone’s interested I thought I’d post an update.

Recap\Update

The original aim was 300HP.

The current mods to TT Quattro 2002 BAM;

- Complete 3" exhaust

- Decat

- F23 turbo

- Chinafold Ported & polished as best I could (the stainless manifold cracked up like a dried lake bed)

- Bosch 550cc injectors

- Uprated fuel pump

- Mushroom air filter

- Bager5 TIP

- New NGK plugs & coils

- Refurbished brakes with Mtec discs & pads

- The head has been refurbished, new water pump timing belt etc, compression is good on all cylinders (180).

- Combined boost, oil temp, oil pressure & voltage gauge

- Poly engine & dog bone mounts

- Coil overs

- In garage to be fitted EBay FMIC

After doing some remapping the MAF reading is between 245 and 252 (the recent rise ambient temp seems to be killing a few horses), any mapping tweaks I make now makes little to no difference.

Clarification

How accurate is divide the MAF by 0.8 to give the HP as when my car was dyno’d HP worked out to be the MAF divided by 0.84?

Has anybody got a dyno graph of MAF v 300HP for a BAM\1.8T engine?

How much difference does ambient temp have on these 1.8T engines with regard to HP?

Advice Required

When I had the stainless manifold there was a huge boost spike at 3K RPM which I never really tamed, using the Chinafold the boost spike has gone but it’s a little flat until 4K at which point it picks up. Any ideas if this flat area can be improved by mapping or is it just that’s the way the Chinafolds are? I’ve tried various mapping tweaks AFR, Load, timing greater\lower, even tried fiddling with the waste gate PID with no noticeable effect.

Also I have the EBay FMIC to install anybody know what if anything to expect after install?

Thanks

Swapping to a FMIC and ditching the SMIC will definitely help to hold onto power when it's hotter . Have a look at your Intake Air Temps.
The Chinafold can be very good when ported correctly but some of the later versions are pretty poor quality and require a lot of work to make them work well. @badger5 were very good with them but even they have stopped doing them I think.
The 0.8 MAF thing is just a rough rule of thumb , The boost spike you had before with the tubular manifold was down to better flow in the exhaust spooling the turbo earlier . I would look at getting the Chinafold ported correctly, high exhaust back pressure will limit power at high RPM.
What spec is the turbo?.

Cheers,

It'a a Chinese F23, I thighend up the wastegate (probably to much), now I'm back to boost spike, I think it's a matter of finding the sweet spot between the wastegate & tune. I'll fit the FMIC when I get round to it and see what happens.