Build Thread JMR S3 Sportback Daily

Following the fitment of new rear subframe mounting bushes, I thought I might as well complete the works to re-furnish the rear bushes. I thought the rear trailing arm bushes were somewhat feeble and extremely easily influenced. So I have decided to try the Powerflex options. The stock bushes were readily pressed out and the Powerflex bushes are supplied as a two part poly unit with a steel centre core. These can be easily pushed into place by hand and no need for a hydraulic press to install.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442164862644189
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442164875648432

The front end I treated to a set of superalloy camber adjust ball joints. I have also previously fitted the Powerflex camber adjust front lower suspension arm bushes. In both cases this was in an attempt to correct slightly too much negative camber on the offside front. The effect of these parts was to bring slight correction but sadly not all. I think I'm going to have to fit adjustable strut top
mounts to get it spot on. This of course means another purchase from IE, and I don't have the greatest regard for the service from these guys, with good reason I might add. Jury is out on this one for a while. For now I have reset the alignment on our rig and S3 is all square again.

Reactions: grchmason
Good stuff....I had all the bushes changed a while back,and they do make a difference.

Camber adjustment on this car is a pain....we went to kW Clubsports to get sufficient adjustment.

Indeed Alex as KW only supply top mount camber plated for the Clubsport set up. I have the Clubsports for that reason on my Corrado, but they are not within the build outline for the S3 as that will only take me over to the dark side and the S3 will cease to become another track day weapon

Reactions: S3Alex
Does that make mine Darth S3?

:)

I think we are both possibly more akin to to the original release, but the force runs strong. I think I could do with a shot of midchlorians given that Red Bull ain't given me wings any more

I just feel a bit undead most of the time.....

You have to admit...it is lovely stuff.

The wait and hassle will have been worthwhile,as I don't think there's anything else out there to match it.

So today saw the final assembly of the IE parts, including a nice new turbo heat shield.
The breather system and catch tank were straight forward enough to fit and have to say I am very pleased with the quality and final fit.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442428334551763
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442428461145435
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442428524012607
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442428542546941
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442428644153977
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442428673556224

Last thing now is to generate custom re-map for the hybrid turbo upgrade and job done

Glad you're pleased.

They do make some very good parts to a very high quality.

I'm very happy with the bits they supplied for me.

Ran up a few miles today on the S3, mainly to settle in the new turbo and also to check out the general running of the new components fitted.
Ever since the new rear diff was fitted and at the same time the re-furbished rear subframe, I had noted a dull thump noise from the rear underfloor area when pulling away under mid to full load. I have had an ongoing witch hunt to track down the cause of this noise, which was only heard as one accelerated away and only in 1st and 2nd gears. I checked all the rear bolts for tension numerous times. Replaced the main rear subframe mounting bushes, fitted new OEM rear trailing arms including stock bushes etc but no joy. I was beginning to wonder if the new diff was faulty but was not convinced that this was not just paranoia . Whilst waiting for my IE parts I revisited my checks on the stock OEM rear trailing arm bushes. Using a pry bar I was able to get an astonishing amount of movement out of these bushes. Despite these being brand new parts I was not at all convinced that they were up to the job and given that all else had been changed it was really looking like it had to be the trailing arm bushes or another diff warranty claim. So I fitted the powerflex trailing arm front bushes and today I road tested them. BINGO!! No more knock from the rear under spirited acceleration in 1st and 2nd gears . So indeed I was vindicated in my belief that these bushes are not up to the job and when placed under full load, do move excessively. It would be interesting to know if any other A3 or S3 Quattro owners have experienced similar? I, however, can now relax and enjoy the acceleration experience without the OCD provoking "thump" from the rear suspension.

Hi Diego,
I had a read through your build and love the work you have done. For me and my build I decided that the S3 had to stay in the realm of the "family car' whilst at the same time seeing just how far one could take it before losing the full compliance and driveability. I own a very highly modified 2.0 16v Turbo 4WD Corrado and this is where I too have given in to the Dark Side

With regard to the IE inlet manifold performance improve my post map, it is hard to say. The reason being that I fitted this as part of a package before the map, so I can't say exactly what improvement it made on paper. However I can say that it certainly made an improvement with response. My reasons for using this part were too ditch the plastic inlet which I have little time for ( I don't like plastic inlets they cause way too much trouble in my experience), to delete thoroughly the runner flap system, to incorporate a manifold with direct to port WMI injector feature, and to improve induction characteristics for my upgrade package. I feel the IE inlet has achieved all that I wanted.
I read that you have interest in a WMI system. I looked at them all and have chosen Aquamist for my car. It is a fantastic piece of kit that works exceptionally well on the car. The engineering and thought that had gone into the product is beyond any question. Richard, at Aquamist is an extremely well informed and capable engineer and he developed for my car an all new injector to fit the IE inlet manifold perfectly. It is straight forward to install for a guy of your clear ability and set up of the system really isn't complicated. The reward however for fitting Aquamist is well worth investing the little bit extra for what I consider to be the best WMI product on the market. We at JMR Ltd are now Aquamist stockist and installers. As a total aside, WMI on big diesels is a real crowd pleaser. We recently fitted HFS4-V3 system to an A6 3.0 TDI along with hybrid turbo and exhaust mods. Result 240 BHP and 419 lbft of torque.

Hi Diego,
I had a read through your build and love the work you have done. For me and my build I decided that the S3 had to stay in the realm of the "family car' whilst at the same time seeing just how far one could take it before losing the full compliance and driveability. I own a very highly modified 2.0 16v Turbo 4WD Corrado and this is where I too have given in to the Dark Side

With regard to the IE inlet manifold performance improve my post map, it is hard to say. The reason being that I fitted this as part of a package before the map, so I can't say exactly what improvement it made on paper. However I can say that it certainly made an improvement with response. My reasons for using this part were too ditch the plastic inlet which I have little time for ( I don't like plastic inlets they cause way too much trouble in my experience), to delete thoroughly the runner flap system, to incorporate a manifold with direct to port WMI injector feature, and to improve induction characteristics for my upgrade package. I feel the IE inlet has achieved all that I wanted.
I read that you have interest in a WMI system. I looked at them all and have chosen Aquamist for my car. It is a fantastic piece of kit that works exceptionally well on the car. The engineering and thought that had gone into the product is beyond any question. Richard, at Aquamist is an extremely well informed and capable engineer and he developed for my car an all new injector to fit the IE inlet manifold perfectly. It is straight forward to install for a guy of your clear ability and set up of the system really isn't complicated. The reward however for fitting Aquamist is well worth investing the little bit extra for what I consider to be the best WMI product on the market. We at JMR Ltd are now Aquamist stockist and installers. As a total aside, WMI on big diesels is a real crowd pleaser. We recently fitted HFS4-V3 system to an A6 3.0 TDI along with hybrid turbo and exhaust mods. Result 240 BHP and 419 lbft of torque.

Would you recommend HFS3 or 4? I recently have come across Aquamist WMI and the quality is just staggering.

Would you recommend HFS3 or 4? I recently have come across Aquamist WMI and the quality is just staggering.

I think if you want the absolute best,then Aquamist fits the bill.
The downside is setup to get the best from it,but that's the price for that sort of versatility.

Just coming across this thread now, mate. Great attention to detail and only wanting the best for your S3 8P.
Something I can relate to.
I'll leave my build thread link here as I too went down the route of totally eliminating the PCV system.
I don't believe it is a clash of websites with it being a small local Australian VW forum but if the mods feel the link should not be placed here, feel free to delete - http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?19490-LE-S3-s-custom-build

I wanted to ask you about this, which is why I've come across this thread,
Richard, at Aquamist is an extremely well informed and capable engineer and he developed for my car an all new injector to fit the IE inlet manifold perfectly.

Using this picture from an IE customer's inlet manifold and water/meth set up, is this what Richard has prepared for you? A water/meth bung injected into each runner? Interested if so as I'm looking into water / meth brand kits and which to go for.

Attachments

• ie water meth.jpg
    ie water meth.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 522
Just coming across this thread now, mate. Great attention to detail and only wanting the best for your S3 8P.
Something I can relate to.
I'll leave my build thread link here as I too went down the route of totally eliminating the PCV system.
I don't believe it is a clash of websites with it being a small local Australian VW forum but if the mods feel the link should not be placed here, feel free to delete - http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?19490-LE-S3-s-custom-build

I wanted to ask you about this, which is why I've come across this thread,

Using this picture from an IE customer's inlet manifold and water/meth set up, is this what Richard has prepared for you? A water/meth bung injected into each runner? Interested if so as I'm looking into water / meth brand kits and which to go for.

Hi, thanks for your comment on my S3, engineering OCD produces beautiful work for others to behold, but a real pain in the *** for the afflicted .
With regard to your enquiry. The IE FSI manifold comes supplied already with 1/8NPT threads in each inlet runner, which are fitted with bungs from the factory. I asked Richard at Aquamist to manufacture extended WMI injectors specific for these manifolds, which you can see fitted in my pics. These injectors are now listed on the Aquamist site as specific to the IE manifold. These injectors along with the DI bundle and the HFS4 v3.1 kit are exactly what you require for your S3. The kit is beautifully put together and works supremely well. I am about to use this very package to install onto my VW Corrado 2.0 16V Turbo 4wd road legal sprint car. The extended injectors should penetrate the throttle body plenum and into the air horns / venturies just nicely.
The set up procedure on Aquamist systems is slightly more involved than with other much more basic WMI kits, but then these other kits do not offer the precise and diverse array of adjustment. This ability to set Aquamist systems to your engine's specific needs is essential to getting the best possible return.
I have been delighted with Aquamist systems and we have fitted it to many VAG vehicles, including the big diesels, and every client has marvelled at the improvement.
www.johnmitchellracing.co.uk
Facebook: John Mitchell Racing

I asked Richard at Aquamist to manufacture extended WMI injectors specific for these manifolds, which you can see fitted in my pics. These injectors are now listed on the Aquamist site as specific to the IE manifold. These injectors along with the DI bundle and the HFS4 v3.1 kit are exactly what you require for your S3. The kit is beautifully put together and works supremely well. I am about to use this very package to install onto my VW Corrado 2.0 16V Turbo 4wd road legal sprint car. The extended injectors should penetrate the throttle body plenum and into the air horns / venturies just nicely.

I think you just made my decision that much easier. I like the sound of specially designed injectors specifically for the IE manifold.

I already have an IE manifold by the way. I just dropped it off yesterday to get polished so that it matches my billet valve cover.

Glad to have come by this thread. Thank you.

Just read this build - firstly I salute you my friend, can see the passion, time and effort gone into what is a car I dream to have one day. What
Power gains are you getting (have you tested on a dyno). Secondly what induction kit is it that your using, after one for my a3 2.0tfsi and like your setup? Thanks

Reactions: 16VG60