1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build: S3 Hybrid build thread

tomsko Nov 16, 2018

1. tomsko

tomsko Member

Hey guys, as you might have noticed in my previous thread - I blew up my S3 engine, so now I am ready to build it again. This time correctly and with rods! Aiming to achieve 300hp+. 350 would be perfect.

I will keep posting updates about my progress in here. To recap, here are the parts I already have on the car:
    • 3" de-cat downpipe
    • 300hp+ rated K04 Hybrid
    • Badger5 TIP
    • FMIC
    • Redone intercooler piping
    • K&N panel filter
    Parts I have on my shopping list:
    • 550cc Bosh (or similar) injectors
    • 4BAR fuel pressure regulator
    • Forged rods (not sure which yet)
    • Exhaust manifold (also not sure which yet)
    • Walbro 255lph inline fuel pump
    So here are a few things I would like to ask:
    1. If replacing rods & injectors + I have the S3 cams, do I actually need a new S3 engine? Or can I pick up some other 1.8T engine for cheaper? If so, which?
    2. What aftermarket exhaust manifolds will keep the same turbo placement spot (so I don't have to re-do the downpipe)?
    3. Do I want the rifle drilled rods?
    4. Is there something I missed in the parts list?
    5. I have the Badger5 TIP, but my car is LHD. The TIP is deformed by brake lines pressing in on it. Should I leave it or just put the smaller sized silicone TIP instead to save myself from potential bigger problems.
    Thanks.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. S3AMJ

S3AMJ OEM+ Team Brilliant Black Audi S3

1. What condition is your current engine in, is it repairable with new rods, etc? If not then yes a new engine is more than likely required.
    2.Chinafold manifold is your best bet, but requires a lot of work in order for it to fit correctly, lots of carbide grinding and smoothing.
    3.Yes you most definitely want rifle drilled rods
    4.lots of other bits involved, exhaust valves as a minimum when running hybrid.
    5.Dont put a smaller TIP on. Bigger the better, Badger5 TIP is perfect, I believe there is a way of fitting these on LHD cars properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. tomsko

tomsko Member

1. The engine is not repairable. I need a new one so I want to know if I must buy the 210-225HP one or 150-180HP engines will also work for up-to 350HP. Not sure if 150-180HP have the forged pistons & crank. But then again up to 350HP also non-forged should be good from what I have red.
    2. Ok, but overall all manifolds should keep the same OEM turbo positioning, and I can plug&play my current downpipe?
    3. Ok, thanks. Why is that?
    4. I was under the impression that exhaust valves can handle around 400hp & 7200rpm. But 350 does get near the limit so you are right.
    5. Ok, then we will try to make the Badger5 TIP fit properly

5. Alex C

Alex C Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Audi S3

3. to lubricate the small end of the rod

tomsko likes this.
  6. Stuart B

Stuart B Well-Known Member

I'm in the midst of building mine (for the first time) and your list did make it look a simple job only involving a few bits and bobs.

I am porting a chinafold manifold currently.
    Have PEC rifle drilled rods for 20mm wrist pin.
    New big end bearings
    New rings
    New inconel exhaust valves
    Cleaned pick-up pipe
    New sump
    New coolant flange
    New after run pump.
    New pcv pipework for catch can
    Recent water pump and timing belt
    Head gasket set set including stem seals (actually bought another set as removed several times from head)
    Head skimming (and repair)
    New vacuum pipe work.
    New cam pulley bolt
    10 litres of Miller's run in oil
    5 litres of wilko mineral oil
    New oil filters
    A variety of crush washers, o-rings, jubilee clips and spring clips etc.

Still need fuel injectors and pump after run in. Real oil

Already had B5 tip, cosworth cone filter and heat sheild, fitted FMIC and 3 inch downpipe and 200 cel cat. Recent brake pads and discs and all round suspension, recent 0.7mm gapped ngkbkr7 plugs

Stock s3 cat back is apparently rated at ~300bhp, mine is a TT i expect it is similarly rated. Also I haven't yet changed the clutch, being a pessimist I want to try and run the car successfully before spending out on some other items but as your engine is being removed it's a no brainer to change clutch and fly wheel too.

1.8T compatibility
    S3 has some 1.5mm shims under exhaust valve springs and 20mm piston wrist pins.

Some 210/225 engines have VVT and EGT (BAM/AMK) others don't (APX/APY)

If you don't know the engine history you probably should change oil pump too along with head service.

As you don't know why your last engine pushed all the oil into the boost circuit probably advisable to change the oil and coolant turbo hoses too?

Best of luck - these projects become pretty expensive.

hydro s3, tomsko and Tj 0785 like this.
  7. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

trim at turbo end like others have done.
    it will always be very tight on lhd cars

tomsko likes this.
  8. tomsko

tomsko Member

Thanks! Your list is very helpful. I will try and match some of the parts you are going for. As for cat-back, I think I will just cut out the middle silencer of stock exhaust. Maybe modify the rear silencer as well.

Is VVT beneficial to have on hybrid build like mine & yours?

I am pretty sure the intake was full of oil because of the really dead turbo. The propellers were moving about 1cm in-out on the axis. But sure, I will change almost all piping anyway. Just to be safe.

As for the flywheel & clutch. I think I will cheap out of this upgrade for now, because I installed new OEM flywheel&clutch about 2,000km ago so its almost brand new. First have to kill it before I upgrade!

Indeed it will get expensive. I'm thinking between 5-7k€ including labor.

9. tomsko

tomsko Member

So I'm starting to order some parts. I still don't know what exhaust manifold to get! Can anyone recommend me one in around 300€ range? I need the manifold to keep the OEM turbo placement so I can fit my downpipe

10. S3AMJ

Chinafold is your only option really bud. There are various other (stainless steel) ones available but many if not all crack.

Tj 0785 and hydro s3 like this.
  11. tomsko

tomsko Member

Could you please show me an example of Chinafold? Just to be sure :thumbs up:

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. S3AMJ

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1081...=4990amp-DUpmquDBSH7N8iHmRry1Nw1544261939359
    Aliexpress is where you’d likely be able to buy one.... but I don’t know what the time scale is on delivery.

If you want it in a hurry and don’t mind spending the extra money...
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/401500403002

This is the finished article.... look at the pictures of the manifold. There is ALOT of work involved getting the manifold port matched and smoothed out internally.

https://badger5.co.uk/turbo-exhaus...ld-aet-k04-380-v2-2-tipexchangespecial-order

You could do what I did and just buy the exact package that Badger5 supply in the link above. Comes with everything, port matched chinafold, AET K04-380 hybrid turbo, actuator and oversized TIP.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 9:57 AM
  14. Stuart B

Aliexpress delivered mine in about 4 or 5 days.
    £210 with delivery charge.
    The £420 version still needs all the work doing.

15. S3AMJ

That’s really quick! I was expecting weeks being as it’s coming from China, custom charges, etc.

Yeah the eBay one from Germany does need all the work done still, just thought it was an option for a quicker delivery.

You know more than anyone the work involved mate haha.

16. tomsko

tomsko Member

Thanks! What if I decide to not do any work on the Chinafold, or do the work but assume not the greatest result, will it still be worth the upgrade from OEM?

I would get the full package from Badger, but I already have the Hybrid :/

17. S3AMJ

If your going to be using your hybrid turbo, you HAVE to carry out the work on the chinafold. Sometimes the mating isn’t very good on the head side, so some of the holes for the studs need to be elongated, the manifold to head chambers might need port matching, the collector will definitely need opening or you will suffer from misfires and the collector to turbo hotside will need port matching and opening up to suit the turbo. Plus you’ll need a flat finish to the turbo and manifold mate up without any gaps as you tend not to use a gasket between them, which is something I only recently found out.

I’d highly recommend reading @Stuart B thread as this is what he’s been doing with the exact same manifold we are talking about.

18. Stuart B

I might have been lucky and ordered before a collection for despatch?

It's not that much work (well for minimum which is what I did) a few hours and then rinse out the swarf.

You can buy 6mm carbide drill bits from Amazon for about £10.

I think some of the changes are important. If you read bill@ badger5 explanation of the back pressure causing misfires in the N/A inlet cam post.

S3AMJ likes this.
  19. tomsko

tomsko Member

Ok, thanks guys.

Just early morning thought here - What do you think about a adding bit of NOS after the peak torque..? Even possible with stock ECU? With exhaust valves and rods I should be fine if I keep it up to 400hp..?

20. tomsko

tomsko Member

I'm placing my orders for all the parts tomorrow.
    What's the story with cams from N/A engine?

Btw thanks again for the full list Stuart, I copied most of it :)

21. tomsko

tomsko Member

So I have decided to go with OEM exhaust manifold and port that as much as possible. I don't want to risk misfires with Chinafold and only gain small power increase. I'm adding Bosh 044 instead of the walbro - just to have the extra room. Rods will be the Hurricane i-Beam Rifle drilled. Also decided to go with Siemens 630cc injectors and might drop in the cams from N/A 1.8. Still want to do a bit of research on this.

If You plan to use big turbo and low boost, use both cams, if You plan to use smaller turbo and high boost, use only ex cam. If You plan to use tiny turbo and ridiculous boost, use only intake cam.

Other than that I'm strongly starting to lean towards standalone ECU, as we don't have any good tuners for this ECU in Latvia. I think I will go with VEMS as it's the most common around here. Should be able to get all the gauges working too. Plus this will allow me to add 75-100 nitrous shot which I'm also considering.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018 at 8:47 PM