Budget brake upgrade: Q7 brakes and or ducting, anyone done it?

bentwenty

Reaction score
Good morning all, I hope you've had a good weekend!
Mine has been eventful!
I have discovered just how limiting the 321mm single pot brakes are on the front of my 2005 3.0 TDi quattro.
I managed to set fire to them after some 'spirited driving'. I'm not exaggerating when I say set fire to them, there were flames and smoke pouring off the pads and the disks were blue!
I have been looking at a brake upgrade for a while as I have experienced very bad fade in the past, but this has pushed me over the edge.
As well as the fire, the fluid boiled. I currently have OEM fluid, 3 month old OEM disks and 3 month old EBC yellowstuff pads.
The problem with the current setup is primarily heat management, so I'm thinking to buy/make ducting to force cold air onto them, anyone done this on the C6? I will also swap back to my 12 spoke 19s as they allow a lot more air to the disks than my 18s.
Obviously the fluid needs replacing, can I use silicone fluid? I believe that would offer a reasonable upgrade.
I have also been eyeing up a set of used calipers from one of the bigger VAG cars, the Q7 6 pot 330mm Brembos seem like a good option, has anyone done this on the C6? Are they a direct fit? do I need Q7 carriers as well? Do I need a new master cylinder?
Are there any better candidates for me?
All the best
Ben

Im surprised of your front brake set up ???!!!. My quattro origanly has 347mm vented at the front and 330mm vented on the rears

2006 Audi A6 3.0TDI quattro sline le mans | Daytona Grey Pearl

Im surprised of your front brake set up ???!!!. My quattro origanly has 347mm vented at the front and 330mm vented on the rears

Interesting! I'll double check later, but I'm pretty sure I bought 321mm vented for the front when I did them last! I know there were two options for my year, and I think mine were the bigger of the two.
You say originally, what are you running now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't use silicone fluid. It's not really suitable for cars used on the road. DOT 5.1 is better than DOT 4 but if you really want high temperature brake fluid you need to go to something like RBF 600. Not cheap but neither will an upgrade in braking for the car.
I believe that RS6 C5 calipers will fit your car along with the heat shields and some Phaeton 365mm discs .
There are also Phaeton cooling ducts for the brakes that may be used.

Reactions: bentwenty
Interesting! I'll double check later, but I'm pretty sure I bought 321mm vented for the front when I did them last! I know there were two options for my year, and I think mine were the bigger of the two.
You say originally, what are you running now?

Still same . Im mean that the car came with this original set up .

I ve heard some of 2.0 came with smaller rotors but never seen 3.0 with 321 non vented

Don't use silicone fluid. It's not really suitable for cars used on the road. DOT 5.1 is better than DOT 4 but if you really want high temperature brake fluid you need to go to something like RBF 600. Not cheap but neither will an upgrade in braking for the car.
I believe that RS6 C5 calipers will fit your car along with the heat shields and some Phaeton 365mm discs .
There are also Phaeton cooling ducts for the brakes that may be used.

I had a feeling you'd come through with some good info Karl! Thanks as always mate! I'll look into high temp fluid now, I'm sure even changing the old fluid will make a noticeable difference.
As an aside, does anyone know if the master cylinder would be ok with a pressure bleeder (gunsen ez bleed)?
Phaeton cooling ducts and heat shields look like a good option, thanks! I'm thinking to fabricate something to feed air from the back of the intercoolers to the brakes, that may work well with the phaeton ducts.
RS6 brakes look lovely, but it's more than I want to spend on the car at the moment; I bought this car as a 'sensible' car to not modify while I get a house...
I mentioned Q7 brakes as they are cheap second hand, and I suspect they may fit as the Q7 shares a lot of parts with the A6. Does anyone know anything about their compatibility?

As it hasn't been mentioned as an answer to your original query, Q7's share their PCD with Porsche rather than Audi. They are 5x130 so won't fit on your 5x112 A6 without work

As it hasn't been mentioned as an answer to your original query, Q7's share their PCD with Porsche rather than Audi. They are 5x130 so won't fit on your 5x112 A6 without work

Calipers will, its only disc's that won't.