Bucket seats

Ok, so here's what I did:

1 - Strip the S3 subframes down to the bare minimum. Mark the holes for the harnesses to attach in the required positions (I have 5 point harnesses, so 2 at the rear of the car, 2 lap belts, and 1 crotch strap) This means 1 lap belt either side of the subframe, and 1 directly underneath the seat.
I used 5 harness eyelets on each seat, and 3 matching nuts (2 of the eyelets screw directly into existing holes in the rear bench)

2014 06 07 160416

2 - Drill pilot holes for all the holes

2014 06 07 155725

3 - Using the best drill bit in the entire world (step/cone cutter), drill the hole out to the required size.

2014 06 07 155759

4 - I drilled 1 side of the box section just big enough for the threaded part of the eyelet to pass through, and the opposite side of the box section big enough to pass the nut through. This mean I could tighten the nut inside the box section, without crushing the box section as it tightened. (On the first seat, I drilled the hole from above so I could hold the nut from above, but quickly realised this wasn't the best way. I then but a rubber grommet in each hole to tidy it up.

2014 06 07 155712

5 - I repeated the above process until all 3 eyelets were mounted. I cut also cut the flat section off which previously held the wiring loom

2014 06 07 161214

6 - I then marked the relevant positions, drilled the holes, and bolted the sliders on using the same technique as above

2014 06 07 162853

7 - I then bolted the side rails to the sliders

2014 06 07 165459

8 - Then I bolted the seats to the side rails, and clipped the harnesses onto the eyelets

2014 06 07 172539

2014 06 07 172548

2014 06 07 172610

9 - The seats were then placed in the sliding runners in the car, bolted in, and the plastic trim re-fitted to the runners (and the rear belts clipped into the eyelets on the rear bench

2014 06 07 173122

10 - All fitted :)

2014 06 07 175051

Reactions: superkarl
Ive just ordered my Seats :) went for the ones discussed in this thread. $ weeks wait untill they will be delivered though hmmmph.
Going to save me so much weight I cant wait to get them

Reactions: daz-20vt
Yeah ordered mine as well end of June seems so far away!

Its nearly the end of June and my seats should be here soon.
Ive been thinking about the airbag light on the dash, and found this.
Im going to give it a whirl at work with the master tech and see how we get on

How To: Disable Airbags
WARNING - This is for experienced vag com users and i cannot be hold repsonsible if you mess it up and get a face full of air bag.

1) Open Vag Com

2) Go into Airbags

2) Click on 10-Adaptation

3) Click up for the channel number to get to channel 01. This is the passenger front airbag channel. The value is 0 (zero) for 'enabled'. Click the up arrow to make it a '1'. Click 'Save' and confirm the prompt. This will disable that airbag.

For the other airbags, disabling them is a matter of choosing a different channel.
1 - passenger front
2 - driver front (steering wheel)
3 - passenger side (seat airbag)
4 - driver side
5 - passenger belt tensioner
6 - driver belt tensioner

Enabling the airbag is just a matter of performing the same steps but decrementing the channel value from 1 to 0.

Go back out into Airbags and clear the fault codes.

When an airbag is disabled, the airbag light will light on the cluster for the normal 4 seconds when you first turn the starter key to the on position, then additionally flash for 12 seconds.

Reactions: VAG-Slag and Gops
Looking at Bolt in harnesses
Ok to do woth these seats and no cage? Where would the shoulder straps bolt into? The rear passenger bench somewhere?
Its its not safe / do able im just going to run the standard seat belt

They have arrived finally :)
They are awesome quality I cant believe ive only paid £300 for these with sliders and side mounts.

We took the passenger Recaro out last night and stripped the subframe.
The seat belt buckle DOES unbolt from the recaro seat so I will be bolting this to the Recaro frame much the same as Jardo has his eyelets for harnesses bolted on.
I will be fitting harnesses in the future but just seat belts for now.

I will update once done, but so far so good, the hardest part of this whole process is going to be drilling the recaro subframe and mounting the corbeau sliders :)

Finally got my seats as well they looked awesome went to fit the standard size bucket seat on the recaro and the bucket seat doesn't fit! Going to have to send it back and get another excel size seat

The standard size seat does fit on the S3 subframe. Georges above are standard size, and we installed 1x standard and 1x XL in jardo's S3 also without issues.

Something you are doing is wrong mate. Post pics to try and explain it

Reactions: SamHendry
Mine were XL's, not standards.

There was oodles of room though, fairly confident a smaller seat would fit.

Update on the airbag light situation.

I bought two of the female plugs that are usually on the Recaro seats from TPS. If you don't have a local TPS your local Audi dealer will be able to supply.
I also bought 4 wires with the correct size pins for the plugs.
Put the pins into the holes that will allow you to bridge the coloured wires with a resistor (green white and green blue as far as I remember)
Solder a 4.7 ohm 0.5 W resistor to bridge these two wires.
Nothing happens to the brown wire I think it may be an earth.

Delete the airbag fault with VagCom.

Voila job done no air bag light. and also my Recaros aren't butchered for if I ever need to sell them all is good!

Part number for The plug is 8D0972576

I used this guide for reference but wasn't happy at just banging the resistors straight into the male plug. I wanted to do it properly.
http://www.users.on.net/~quozl/PDF/Airbag Resistor Guide.pdf

Reactions: limbo118118
Will be fitting my seats soon corbeau club sport anything else I need other than the seats and side mounts? Any certain size bolts nuts etc ? Also any recommendations on road legal harnesses?

Hello mate sorry not had a chance to strip mine down again to get photos.
Make sure you have anb assortment of washers to space things out so things aren't mounted face to face.
I re used some of the original bolts and boles on the front to mount the sliders, only had to drill holes for the rear sliders.

Il get photos when I can but the guide further up this thread makes it self explanatory and is REALLY easy to follow once you have the seats out

Reactions: Goubo1
Anyone in the South (closer to Reading the better) got either normal size or + size club sports and wouldn't mind me trying my *** for size? . . promise no farts!

Just not sure what size to go for!!!?

Reactions: Mav190sline
Quick search and I found this:

"Airbag Resistor Guide for VW MKIV R32
Resistors needed to defeat Airbag Warning Light when removing airbags for motorsport.
Not recommended if you are going to use your car on the street at all.
Steering Wheel Airbag resistor is 2 ohm .5 watt
Seat Airbag resistors needed is 4.7 ohm .5 watt Passenger Airbag resistor needed is 4.7 ohm .5 watt Curtain Airbag resistors needed is 4.7 ohm .5 watt Seat Belt Tensioner resistor needed is 4.7 ohm .5 watt
To defeat the airbag warning, use a 4.7 ohm 1/2 watt resistor for all airbags. Except the steering wheel where you use a 2 ohm . 5 watt.

This is from a PDF guide Ive had for a few years now. Worked everytime on my A3"
this sounds what i am going to need as just fitted pole positions in my s3 8p , i have just left the yellow connector block in the car at the mo , recaro did supply some yellow connectors but none fit my connector block , where would i buy these airbag resistors please ?