1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Broken turbo clamp

mr_yad Nov 17, 2019

1. mr_yad

mr_yad Registered User

Hi, I'm looking for a bit of help fairly urgently please. To cut a long story short, I have a 2.0 TFSI, and (presumably) when I had the timing chain replaced a short while ago the apes in the garage (that I am no longer using) broke what I now know to be called my turbo clamp - the clamp that holds together the pipe coming out of the turbo/timing area and pipe going into the top of the flexi.

I had the car in at the start of the week to get some work done and asked if they could also replace the turbo clamp. However, the garage I used only supply genuine parts, and for the petrol engine Audi don't supply the clamp without a new turbo. I'm not paying £1500 for a new clamp!

Subsequent searches online have returned a handful of results, but of different sizes of clamp - 2", 2.25" and 3" are what I've seen so far. Could someone please help me out with the correct size of turbo clamp I need? The garage have said they will fit a new one for me if I supply it.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Nessy

Nessy VW + Audi mad

Without wanting to sound flippant, LOL, why not buy one of each and get the garage to fit the correct one ?
    I can’t imagine 3 clamps would break the bank?

4. mr_yad

mr_yad Registered User

I had considered that, but a) I'm a tight accountant and that would be £30 down the drain, and b) I was concerned the correct clamp was of a 4th size I haven't yet come across. If I don't manage to find out the right size to get I will just buy all 3 but had hoped I'd find the answer in here to save me some cash!

5. samuelh_888

samuelh_888 Registered User

Buy 3, send 2 back and therefore only out of pocket for postage. Alternatively, remove the existing clamp and measure that...

6. SootySport

SootySport Registered User

Can’t you buy the clamps from a local shop? and take the unused parts back. I do this all the time at my favourite suppliers and they are happy to do this.

7. mr_yad

mr_yad Registered User

Sooty Sport - that's a good shout. I've had a look at Euro Car Parts online and couldn't find any size of turbo clamp for my car but there are a couple other shops I could try in person.

samuelh_888 - you're right, that's an option too. I was trying to save myself the hassle of buying 3 and returning 2 but I think I'll need to consider that. I was also hoping to avoid having to chuck myself under the car to pull off the broken clamp but I might need to...

Thanks for your advice folks.

samuelh_888 likes this.