Broken propshaft centre

Jny400

Reaction score
Yea. Getting a miltek downpipe fitted. Guy phoned me up and said the propshaft centre just fell apart. £1300 plus VAT .WTF

Yea. Getting a miltek downpipe fitted. Guy phoned me up and said the propshaft centre just fell apart. £1300 plus VAT .WTF
They remove the prop shaft to get the decat in. They've obviously ****** yours up when removing.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jimojameso
Yeah they don’t just fall apart while fitting a downpipe!

Big time cowboys
How do you prove they did it though. That's probably gonna be the issue if they start being dicks with you. If you look hard, you're probably not gonna have much trouble but I hope you get it sorted. Winds me up people like that. If they break it just admit it and either pay up or get insurance to sort it.
I dropped a light on a Bentley at work recently and caused a decent bit of damage but you have to own up don't you.

That's an unusual thing to break unless the car has had a real hard life.
Only had it about 5 months 16,000 miles on clock I've done about 1,500 only one launch who knows I've read up a little bit and launches are supposed to be really bad for the shaft.

How do you prove they did it though. That's probably gonna be the issue if they start being dicks with you. If you look hard, you're probably not gonna have much trouble but I hope you get it sorted. Winds me up people like that. If they break it just admit it and either pay up or get insurance to sort it.
I dropped a light on a Bentley at work recently and caused a decent bit of damage but you have to own up don't you.

you're right but unfortunately there not admitting responsibility and blaming the Park. Feck it life is a learning curve. Probably beat the crap out of it with a 2lb hammer. I'll have a look at the damaged one first.

Only had it about 5 months 16,000 miles on clock I've done about 1,500 only one launch who knows I've read up a little bit and launches are supposed to be really bad for the shaft.
I was playing devils advocate a bit, but unless this car has been stage 2 or more and at a dragstrip constantly it won't be broken because of a couple launches here and there. they just messed up good luck resolving it that is no fun :(

Reactions: Jny400
Is the car not still under warranty? If they’ve just removed a downpipe, surely that doesn’t void warranty. Even if it did, strap it back in and call Audi recovery.

Who is the garage?

Is the car not still under warranty? If they’ve just removed a downpipe, surely that doesn’t void warranty. Even if it did, strap it back in and call Audi recovery.

Who is the garage?
Just a local lad.

If you pull the propshaft from the rear once disconnected from the haldex it will split in half. It will never go back together again.
Common mistake if people are not aware of it.

Only solution is a new or 2nd hand one

If you pull the propshaft from the rear once disconnected from the haldex it will split in half. It will never go back together again.
Common mistake if people are not aware of it.

Only solution is a new or 2nd hand one
I think @Jny400 needs to go back to the place and tell them to cough up the repair bill.

Request a copy of the companies liability insurance and start a claim. The certificate should be on display on the premises.

Reactions: toooldforboyracing, Jny400, jimojameso and 1 other person
No way it could fail at that mileage. Cowboys! Put a claim in as said above. :(

Here's an even braver guy, still he doesn't damage the carden shaft though.

These propshafts have a bearing in the middle which are designed to come apart in the event of an accident.if they didnt no and have tapped the prop from the rear instead of the front when fitting it back on,then it will have pushed the bearing out.they cannot be fixed and a new one will need to be fitted.its nothing to do with how many times its been launched or how the car has been driven.its how its been taken off or tried to be put back on.

So, this is actually very common. A garage has done it to me in the past. That centre bearing can only be damaged in an accident or incorrect removal procedure. People just stay quiet about it. Certain garages will blame the customer and make them pay for a new one so be very wary!

Reactions: Jny400, jimojameso and Count Drunkula
So, this is actually very common. A garage has done it to me in the past. That centre bearing can only be damaged in an accident or incorrect removal procedure. People just stay quiet about it. Certain garages will blame the customer and make them pay for a new one so be very wary!
Hate unscrupulous garages that rip people off! So hard to find a trustworthy place these days!

Sadly you cant trust your pride and joy to just any one. Always make sure that they are used to working on your specific model.

I do hope you get it fixed.

Yep. Had to cough up 1580. Awch. Life is a learning curve but hopefully this thread helps others. Thanks everyone

Yep. Had to cough up 1580. Awch. Life is a learning curve but hopefully this thread helps others. Thanks everyone
I’d be taking them to small claims court.

Reactions: wuta3
Hello guys...

We had damage on the drive shaft 2 years ago. At that time we missed the 3 steal balls out of 8. We replaced it with a new shaft.

1 week ago. We had exact same problem as before. The shaft cv joint came off during the installation.

If it can come off... then there is a way to put it back..

We started to study how the company does it when they make it. And we found that 4 balls goes from one side and other goes from other side and they friction weld the shaft...

If you inspect the shaft. We can see the welding but few inches away from the couple.

It took 4 days to find out a way to put it back. Finally we managed to put it back same as before...

If the shaft is new. There is no way it come appart... but as the parts wears.. there is a specific angle in which it comes off.. and there is a specific way to put it back.

My recommendation is...
Be careful not to damage it. The highest possibility for damage is during removal and installation.

Thank you.
Feel free to contact me if you wants to know how to put it back. +97431022031

I saw this tool from Unitronic: Drive Shaft Removal Clamp FOR 2.5TFSI Evo
Will this prevent the issue?
Its a good tool to remove the shaft. But tje shaft got damaged while installing it back... not while removing it.

Reactions: Evolution_Roy
Official how to repair:

So after dealing with this crap design, quality, and the Germans trying to trick people to not servicing there cars and spend $$$$.

These are not "Broken" They have been shifted out of place.

Look up Meyle Cardan Shaft Repair.

This issue is behind the cv there is a plate that sits back in there nothing holds it in...

When it flexes the plate pops out causing the bearings to slide out.

1: remove drive shaft get two flat head scre drivers gradually pry the rolled lip up off the dust cover.

2: Pull the rear drive shaft out inspect your components, make sure the cog gear is seated right, it should be flush with the race.

3: clean up all the grease with rags and parts cleaner get a thin rod at hardware store, through the back of the shaft gently tap the cap back into place, apply some jb weld around it to lock it in place and prevent this stupid @ss design.

4: with two people install the front shaft on the vehicle put two bolts to hold the carrier bearing.

5: with the cage greased install the balls in place put a peice of cardboard in front of it to prevent the bearing from sliding out, Hold the cardboard! Have a friend install the rear half of the shaft, then slide the dust guard over it gently tap the recess grove or apply a little jb weld.

Make sure the rubber boot is concaved inwards you should be able to run your finger and feel smooth recess.

When you lower the car and add load that last few mm should close up.

I hope this helps people! If you have any questions feel free to reach out, I see Alpha motor sports is making a drive shaft for this, if they don't I will. If you are running upgraded power I would highly suggest a custom 1 peice shaft, and screw this cv design.

And stop saying " it's broken" and they ****** it up... Vw is the one doing the fing.

Attachments

• IMG_20220518_175859743.jpg
    IMG_20220518_175859743.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 293
  • IMG_20220517_152645546.jpg
    IMG_20220517_152645546.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 294
  • IMG_20220517_152619461.jpg
    IMG_20220517_152619461.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 288
  • IMG_20220517_145642581.jpg
    IMG_20220517_145642581.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 285
  • IMG_20220517_142625286.jpg
    IMG_20220517_142625286.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 379
  • IMG_20220518_175707299.jpg
    IMG_20220518_175707299.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 466
  • IMG_20220518_183309456.jpg
    IMG_20220518_183309456.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 540
Last edited:
5: with the cage greased install the balls in place put a peice of cardboard in front of it to prevent the bearing from sliding out, Hold the cardboard! Have a friend install the rear half of the shaft, then slide the dust guard over it gently tap the recess grove or apply a little jb weld.
Thanks for the write up! I'm hoping to get some clarification on this part. are you putting the cage and balls onto the front or rear section before putting them together? and are you inserting the two pieces together, then installing all the balls from the side of the cage and pulling the rear shaft back into place? or are you somehow getting it all to line up together while you assemble the front and rear? I've been fighting with one for a few hours now, would love to get it together rather than buy a new shaft!

@Suppy @Ruimprezed Can either of you share details to the trick of getting the bearings and ring back in place ?

Anyone else have luck ? I know this can be done. There is a specific sequence and possibly angle that needs to be followed.
Official how to repair:

So after dealing with this crap design, quality, and the Germans trying to trick people to not servicing there cars and spend $$$$.

These are not "Broken" They have been shifted out of place.

Look up Meyle Cardan Shaft Repair.

This issue is behind the cv there is a plate that sits back in there nothing holds it in...

When it flexes the plate pops out causing the bearings to slide out.

1: remove drive shaft get two flat head scre drivers gradually pry the rolled lip up off the dust cover.

2: Pull the rear drive shaft out inspect your components, make sure the cog gear is seated right, it should be flush with the race.

3: clean up all the grease with rags and parts cleaner get a thin rod at hardware store, through the back of the shaft gently tap the cap back into place, apply some jb weld around it to lock it in place and prevent this stupid @ss design.

4: with two people install the front shaft on the vehicle put two bolts to hold the carrier bearing.

Make sure the rubber boot is concaved inwards you should be able to run your finger and feel smooth recess.

When you lower the car and add load that last few mm should close up.

I hope this helps people! If you have any questions feel free to reach out, I see Alpha motor sports is making a drive shaft for this, if they don't I will. If you are running upgraded power I would highly suggest a custom 1 peice shaft, and screw this cv design.

And stop saying " it's broken" and they ****** it up... Vw is the one doing the fing.

@Suppy @Ruimprezed Can either of you share details to the trick of getting the bearings and ring back in place ?

Anyone else have luck ? I know this can be done. There is a specific sequence and possibly angle that needs to be folloAwed.
anyone have any help or advice how to reassemble the bearing (CV) joint at the centre of this propshaft?

Comment réparer officiellement :

Donc, après avoir traité de cette conception merdique, de cette qualité, et des Allemands qui essayaient de tromper les gens pour qu'ils n'entretiennent pas leurs voitures et dépensent $$$$.

Ce ne sont pas des « cassés ». Ils ont été déplacés.

Recherchez la réparation de l'arbre à cardan Meyle.

Ce problème est derrière le CV, il y a une plaque qui se trouve là-dedans, rien ne la retient...

Lorsqu'elle fléchit, la plaque sort, provoquant le glissement des roulements.

1 : retirez l'arbre d'entraînement et obtenez deux tournevis à tête plate et soulevez progressivement la lèvre enroulée du cache-poussière.

2 : Retirez l'arbre de transmission arrière, inspectez vos composants, assurez-vous que l'engrenage à crémaillère est bien en place, il doit affleurer la course.

3 : nettoyez toute la graisse avec des chiffons et un nettoyant pour pièces. Procurez-vous une fine tige dans une quincaillerie, à travers l'arrière de l'arbre, tapotez doucement le capuchon pour le remettre en place, appliquez un peu de soudure JB autour de celui-ci pour le verrouiller en place et éviter cette stupidité. Conception USER=86508]@ss[/USER].

4 : avec deux personnes, installez l'arbre avant sur le véhicule et placez deux boulons pour maintenir le roulement du support.

5 : avec la cage graissée installez les billes en place mettez un morceau de carton devant pour éviter que le roulement ne glisse, Tenez le carton ! Demandez à un ami d'installer la moitié arrière de l'arbre, puis faites glisser le pare-poussière dessus, tapotez doucement sur la rainure de l'évidement ou appliquez un peu de soudure JB.

Assurez-vous que la botte en caoutchouc est concave vers l'intérieur, vous devriez pouvoir passer votre doigt et sentir un creux lisse.

Lorsque vous abaissez la voiture et ajoutez de la charge, les derniers mm devraient se fermer.

J'espère que cela aidera les gens ! Si vous avez des questions, n'hésitez pas à nous contacter, je vois qu'Alpha Motor Sports fabrique un arbre de transmission pour cela, si ce n'est pas le cas, je le ferai. Si vous utilisez une puissance améliorée, je suggère fortement un arbre personnalisé en 1 pièce et vissez cette conception CV.

Et arrêtez de dire "c'est cassé" et ils le foutent en l'air... C'est VW qui fait le coup.

My name is Patrick, I am in France, my car is an RS3 8V 2017 60,000km.
When dismantling my shaft to mount a down pipe I made the mistake of putting my shaft in the middle. I really can't put it back together, could someone explain to me exactly how to put it back together? or place the balls on the cage inside or on the pinion? and what action should be taken to save my tree. thanks in advance.

For around 10euros you will be able to get 1hrs access to audi erwin site.
Full factory repair manuals and pdfs that you can download. Dealership workshop manual.
They have other tarrifs for longer access.
If you can not find the answer then the chances are it is a non serviceable part possibly.

Sent from my SM-S921B using Tapatalk