Broken propshaft centre

Jny400

Yea. Getting a miltek downpipe fitted. Guy phoned me up and said the propshaft centre just fell apart. £1300 plus VAT .WTF

RS03_SEN

Big time cowboys
How do you prove they did it though. That's probably gonna be the issue if they start being dicks with you. If you look hard, you're probably not gonna have much trouble but I hope you get it sorted. Winds me up people like that. If they break it just admit it and either pay up or get insurance to sort it.
I dropped a light on a Bentley at work recently and caused a decent bit of damage but you have to own up don't you.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Jny400

That's an unusual thing to break unless the car has had a real hard life.
Only had it about 5 months 16,000 miles on clock I've done about 1,500 only one launch who knows I've read up a little bit and launches are supposed to be really bad for the shaft.

Jny400

How do you prove they did it though. That's probably gonna be the issue if they start being dicks with you. If you look hard, you're probably not gonna have much trouble but I hope you get it sorted. Winds me up people like that. If they break it just admit it and either pay up or get insurance to sort it.
I dropped a light on a Bentley at work recently and caused a decent bit of damage but you have to own up don't you.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk
you're right but unfortunately there not admitting responsibility and blaming the Park. Feck it life is a learning curve. Probably beat the **** out of it with a 2lb hammer. I'll have a look at the damaged one first.

Sequence

Only had it about 5 months 16,000 miles on clock I've done about 1,500 only one launch who knows I've read up a little bit and launches are supposed to be really bad for the shaft.
I was playing devils advocate a bit, but unless this car has been stage 2 or more and at a dragstrip constantly it won't be broken because of a couple launches here and there. they just messed up good luck resolving it that is no fun :(

EddieRS3

Is the car not still under warranty? If they’ve just removed a downpipe, surely that doesn’t void warranty. Even if it did, strap it back in and call Audi recovery.

Who is the garage?

Tonka332

If you pull the propshaft from the rear once disconnected from the haldex it will split in half. It will never go back together again.
Common mistake if people are not aware of it.

Only solution is a new or 2nd hand one

D0C

If you pull the propshaft from the rear once disconnected from the haldex it will split in half. It will never go back together again.
Common mistake if people are not aware of it.

Only solution is a new or 2nd hand one
I think @Jny400 needs to go back to the place and tell them to cough up the repair bill.

DJAlix

VAG Car Coding™ Limited
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
VAG Can Professional
ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)
Request a copy of the companies liability insurance and start a claim. The certificate should be on display on the premises.

jimojameso

Section Mod
No way it could fail at that mileage. Cowboys! Put a claim in as said above. :(

T-1000

Gold Supporter
Here's an even braver guy, still he doesn't damage the carden shaft though.

arf @66

These propshafts have a bearing in the middle which are designed to come apart in the event of an accident.if they didnt no and have tapped the prop from the rear instead of the front when fitting it back on,then it will have pushed the bearing out.they cannot be fixed and a new one will need to be fitted.its nothing to do with how many times its been launched or how the car has been driven.its how its been taken off or tried to be put back on.

Aoon_M

So, this is actually very common. A garage has done it to me in the past. That centre bearing can only be damaged in an accident or incorrect removal procedure. People just stay quiet about it. Certain garages will blame the customer and make them pay for a new one so be very wary!

George Jetson

So, this is actually very common. A garage has done it to me in the past. That centre bearing can only be damaged in an accident or incorrect removal procedure. People just stay quiet about it. Certain garages will blame the customer and make them pay for a new one so be very wary!
Hate unscrupulous garages that rip people off! So hard to find a trustworthy place these days!

steeve

Sadly you cant trust your pride and joy to just any one. Always make sure that they are used to working on your specific model.

I do hope you get it fixed.

wuta3

I hope this guy doesn't have to cough up for the garage's mistake

Jny400

Yep. Had to cough up 1580. Awch. Life is a learning curve but hopefully this thread helps others. Thanks everyone