Broken head Bex code

n33za

Reaction score
Hi, I have an Audi A4 sport 190. The head gasket has given up so I removed the head and once I took the cams out I could see a lot of damage on 1 of the cam bearings. I took the head to benchsound who said its not really repairable. It has scored up the exhaust cam quite badly too. He had 2 new heads there but none of them had the egr hole at the back. I'm struggling to find a head with a code Bex that isn't broke. Is there any other heads I can use from a different engine code?

Hi, I have an Audi A4 sport 190. The head gasket has given up so I removed the head and once I took the cams out I could see a lot of damage on 1 of the cam bearings. I took the head to benchsound who said its not really repairable. It has scored up the exhaust cam quite badly too. He had 2 new heads there but none of them had the egr hole at the back. I'm struggling to find a head with a code Bex that isn't broke. Is there any other heads I can use from a different engine code?

The way I see it you have two options, either have one of the heads he has machined to accept the SAIP valve or remap the car and have the SAIP mapped out. It's not an EGR system, it's purpose is to inject air into the exhaust manifold to raise temperature in the CAT as quickly as possible for efficiency and emissions, this usually runs for around 90 seconds on a cold start. Secondary Air Injection Pump as it's called, sounds like a hairdryer, and you can hear it drawing air from the airbox quite distinctly.
A third option would be to source a similar that uses SAIP system, ARY from the 180 TT or the AWT from the 1.8t Passat.