broken clips on xenon headlight

bpascua

Reaction score
Hello All,

I had a very light bump the other day and I just noticed that both plast clips that secure the light to the front pannel of the car are broken. These clips seem to be part of the headlight unit. I have screwed the clips down as best I can to secure the light in place but the beam may not be perfectly allighned. So my question is will the headlight still be able to be adjusted with these clips broken as I have no idea how the adjustment is done? also how much is a replacement part?

Thanks

Brian

The only real purpose of the clips is to hold the light steady, i wouldnt worry about the alignment or fixing the clips (one of my face lift headlights is only held in by one screw and it has had no mot problems etc)

Just re-read your original post - the alignment is adjusted with the two white hex adjusters that you can see on top of the headlight unit

Depending upon how anal the MOT test is, you can fail for having loose headlights (I've failed on this before on both my Speedster and my Ibiza).

I had the same problem with mine. First I tried to glue them using araldite. I found that they held for a while, but after 6 months or so, they would crack again.

So what I did was got some plastic padding car body filler, mixed it up, and then used that to pack out the space between the clips and the body of the light. So instead of attempting to hold the clip in place just along the original crack, you are doing so along the entire 3cm by 3cm area of the clip. This seems to have worked.

Unfortunately the clips are integral to the back of the light - so you'd need to buy a new headlight for a proper fix. They normally go for around £200 plus a pair on eBay, or are £450 ish new from Audi.

Hope that helps.

ok cheers. That was my concern that I clamp the headlight in place which in turn affects the adjustment - then when it goes through the MOT they arent able to adjust it because I bodged the light in place!

Cheers

Brian

The adjustment come from inside the headlamp unit tho, the whole casing itself doesnt move, it is just clamped(/screwed) in place anyway. So doing so won't have an affect on the ability to adjust the alignment.

Hope this helps