Broken cable in engine bay

MA3TDIQ

Reaction score
Anyone know what this cable is for?
It seems to have split the outer protective sleeve with metal fibres visible.
It is for a 57 Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170 and runs at the top of the engine bay.

I’m hoping that when I fix this cable it will stop my car from intermittently running erratic.

Attachments

• C6C15420-2B3F-45A8-AF10-1751610B5FEC.jpeg
    C6C15420-2B3F-45A8-AF10-1751610B5FEC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
  • DD3BD07F-8F2E-4677-9C36-B89C47CC9C40.jpeg
    DD3BD07F-8F2E-4677-9C36-B89C47CC9C40.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 91
Going by the second picture it looks like the wire belongs to a lambda(oxygen) sensor.

Is it plugged into some part of the exhaust manifold/exhaust?

Going by the second picture it looks like the wire belongs to a lambda(oxygen) sensor.

Is it plugged into some part of the exhaust manifold/exhaust?
yes, i think you are right, i just inspected it further - the outer sleeve is def damaged but the inner wires still seem intact - 4 of them.

Question is - does the outer sleeve transmits signal or is it only a heat sleeve?

The sleeve channels oxygen to the sensor. The sensor is very sensitive so having a split in the sleeve could cause it to not function correctly.

Have you got any fault code/s being thrown up?

The sleeve channels oxygen to the sensor. The sensor is very sensitive so having a split in the sleeve could cause it to not function correctly.

Have you got any fault code/s being thrown up?
Thanks for that, it would make a lot of sense as my car has not been running right for quite a while. Very smelly and I always thought it had something to do with the mixture of fuel to air ratio. It is intermittent though, some days it’s fine and other days it doesn’t run smooth.

question now is-how do I get this cable replaced?

Thanks for that, it would make a lot of sense as my car has not been running right for quite a while. Very smelly and I always thought it had something to do with the mixture of fuel to air ratio. It is intermittent though, some days it’s fine and other days it doesn’t run smooth.

question now is-how do I get this cable replaced?
I have no fault code being shown with VCDS which is odd, hence why the garage have never found a problem

Having looked at it again-is this split of the outer sheath not just a heat shield?

Having looked at it again-is this split of the outer sheath not just a heat shield?

Yes mate it is just a heat shield it doesn’t do any but protect the cables. The actual sensor is inside the exhaust I’m not sure what the other post about directing oxygen is all about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: aqibi2000