broadband? who are you with?

supanova

A3 2.0 TDI SE
Reaction score
Coleraine, Coleraine, United Kingdom, United Kingd
so I'm with sky. been with them for about 16-17months now and ...... they are total pish!! internet is ******** and really slow. struggles to load a youtube 3min video at 240p.. actually takes a good 5mins to load. better still it buffers on the little 30sec ad at the start. grrrr never home in time in the evenings to give them a call either. :(

you need to see if its worth moving as you maybe moving to another co who will give the same. might be your line length
what speed do you get currently? log into your router 192.168.1.1 admin admin > router status > show statistics and tell me what you see for downstream ATTN and sn margin

Reactions: supanova
Maybe worth asking people around where you live, who they with and how fast?

Virgin 60meg, only ever seen 37meg max though, which is plenty enough. Tried out a friends 100meg, and hit 76 meg I think?, so inline with my connection.

Im a virgin media tech i would recommend them and not because i work with them. all the broadband installations i do its always above what you ordered by between 2-7meg. fitted 120meg on saturday and they got 125meg. so its worth checking. im with talk talk and get about 5meg. need to move to a place where i can get virgin :(

Jojo get virgin to come and check your services as you should be getting more than 37meg. what hub have you got?

Virgin 60meg, only ever seen 37meg max though, which is plenty enough. Tried out a friends 100meg, and hit 76 meg I think?, so inline with my connection.

60? What do you pay? I have 30meg and have VPSs that are 500mbps (in the EU) but would like my "home" Internet to be a little bit closer to our European cousins.

virgin media 60mbs... get full speed at 12.15am for some reason... virgin internet is good, but it cant handle all the traffic and they tend to cap you at peak times, which puts the 'unlimited' claim into question..??? but apart from that they are still the best so cant complain too much

This is mine, Virgin. I agree with Jacko, unlimited means that it's unlimited....apart from at peak times. I pay £30 for the above, it's £2.50pm (then £5pm) extra from 60mbps, but I pay £20pm for each of my VPSs in Germany that have 500mbps so it's plenty for home Internet.

Edit:

Variations on my VPS, so it's not just the UK btw:

tonight

Still, totally worth it when it's close to 500meg.

Last edited:
I'm with VM too, I got told id get 100mb but I get close to 110mb!

Jojo get virgin to come and check your services as you should be getting more than 37meg. what hub have you got?

VM hub version 1 apparently?

60? What do you pay? I have 30meg and have VPSs that are 500mbps (in the EU) but would like my "home" Internet to be a little bit closer to our European cousins.

It's 26 plus line rental? I get tv channels and phoneline aswell. I moaned about the 30 meg, and they gave me 60 for a quid more a month. Offered me 100 meg for a fiver extra a month aswell, I said no thanks.

Hmmm, I pay £30 for 30mbps. No TV, just line and Internet. I'm moving soon (still in Virgin area) and will complain/whinge and see if I can get 60 or 100meg for less.

VM hub version 1 apparently?

It's 26 plus line rental? I get tv channels and phoneline aswell. I moaned about the 30 meg, and they gave me 60 for a quid more a month. Offered me 100 meg for a fiver extra a month aswell, I said no thanks.

with 60meg your meant to have a superhub 2 so ring up and demand one ;)

they wont its free ;) just say a friend of yours has had a superhub 2 installed as they have 60meg bb and ask why you have only got the superhub 1 and that you want it changing, the SH2 are alot better :)

this happened to me, have you tried asking them to reconfiger your line
have you changed the adsl filter
had a new router at all?
had an enginneer out to fiddle with the wires in the box?

i was having the same problems. basicly the engineer found a broken wire, but wasn't broken enough to cause total disconnection, rather, it was causing intermetant slow connection and drop outs of connection

edit

im still with sky, got fibre to cabinet and get 27meg.

BT here, hardly ever have a problem but they are expensive....

did you know sky uses bt lines, so you get the same service,

and when you have a problem that needs an engineer, bt openreach attend.

I'm with sky, broadband was as poky as a robin reliant, rang up complained,,,,,, "sorry air but it must be your pc/devices", contacted a mate who works for bt and explained about the sluggish Internet, he poped round, a pack of lager and a fancy box installed on the phone line and its now pretty quick! Still getting anal probe by the cost of the tv package tho, thinking of moving to talk talk?

i'm only geting 32meg ment to be 100meg on virgin they cant seam to fix it if you ring and tell them they will not charge you for broadband to they rix it and credit you all the way back since the speed hasnt been what they promised 3 months for me now

Was O2. they were bought by Sky, so went Sky fibre when I moved who use BT lines etc, seems ok so far.

I was promised 40/10. This seems close enough to me

I'm with sky, broadband was as poky as a robin reliant, rang up complained,,,,,, "sorry air but it must be your pc/devices", contacted a mate who works for bt and explained about the sluggish Internet, he poped round, a pack of lager and a fancy box installed on the phone line and its now pretty quick! Still getting anal probe by the cost of the tv package tho, thinking of moving to talk talk?

the lazy mans fix

the lazy mans fix

What other method is there?

virgin sacrifice upload speed to give more download speed as you dont really send much info out.

The upload was important to me for photographs to update my sites and to send to people, but then I am not in a virgin area atm

Reactions: s3dave
you need to see if its worth moving as you maybe moving to another co who will give the same. might be your line length
what speed do you get currently? log into your router 192.168.1.1 admin admin > router status > show statistics and tell me what you see for downstream ATTN and sn margin

DownStream Connection Speed 8128

As most of you know, I am a Team Leader and trainer with The Utility Warehouse" and I do a bit of customer service visits for my personal customers, From my own personal experiance, It dont really matter who your provider is, if your old phone lines are out of date then your gonna get the same speeds across the board, it only changes when you get into the cable and fiber optic leage.

With plusnet here as i like talking to English people, even though they are under the BT umbrella.
If you can't get cable use this checker to see what speeds you are able to get BT Broadband ignore the dsl bit because it you can get FTTC it will tell you.

With plusnet here as i like talking to English people, even though they are under the BT umbrella.
If you can't get cable use this checker to see what speeds you are able to get BT Broadband ignore the dsl bit because it you can get FTTC it will tell you.

I hear what your saying, My HQ is in North London and keeps all our jobs in England rather than out sourcing.

I have been with plusnet for the past few months. Havent had an issue with them - I believe thier call centres are in the UK too.

Same as Alex, I had a min-mare getting the install done with PlusNet because I thought I'd get a call as requested 20 minutes before the installer shows up, but they didn't call!
I've got unlimited fibre, it's fast, really fast! First six months was cheaper but now it's about £35 per month.

I can't get broadband :( ....well I can but only 1mg because I live in a rural area and virgin aren't in that area yet.