Brimming the tank

RYes3

Reaction score
Hey guy's,

Bit of a weird question really and it's more of an annoyance than anything...

When I fill my car up (details in signature), i find it hard to gauge whether or not it's full. The pump clicks off but if I pull the nozzle out a bit its amazing how much more you can pump in. I have never actually got to a point where the fuel would get to the rim, not for want of trying as I have spent a couple of minutes in the past dribbling fuel in!!

I only ask as on my old 140 Tdi I could brim it easily. On my current car within 10 miles I am off the full mark on the dial so I am wondering if I am actually filling it??

Completely pointless thread I suppose but I'm curious lol ??

I went to the click a few days ago, then proceeded to brim to the rim. it went for AGES. At least £10 went in, my trigger finger was a little pooped after to be honest.

Yes mine moves off the top mark significantly after about 4 miles - frightening when I first picked it up!

Sounds like I am actually filling it then :)

Cheers guy's!

The handbook tells you not to brim it but to stop after the first shut-off, as it will fill the expansion tank if you carry on.

Reactions: RYes3
The handbook tells you not to brim it but to stop after the first shut-off, as it will fill the expansion tank if you carry on.

Cheers for that! I guess I should have read that!

Agreed, and I wouldn't want to be following you on my motorbike with all your fresh fuel leaking out on to the road, even moreso if it's diesel!!!!!!!!!