Bridgestone Potenza or Goodyear Eagle F1

Shaunos

Reaction score
Does anyone know which tyre out of the Bridgestone Potenza S001 235/40 18 and Goodyear Eagle F1 Assemetric 2 235/40 18 has got the best alloy wheel protection?

goodyear eagle f1's and the grip is spectacular.. on a quattro anyway not sure bout FWD

I have the eagle f1's on mine, has a fairly decent rim protector on them.
Unsure about the bridgestone however.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport... oh wait that's not an option :lmfao:

Goodyear :icon_thumright: will be happy either way though

Does anyone know which tyre out of the Bridgestone Potenza S001 235/40 18 and Goodyear Eagle F1 Assemetric 2 235/40 18 has got the best alloy wheel protection?

To answer to what you were asking I would say the GD year F1 AS2 has the better alloy wheel protection.

If you were asking me which Tyre I would choose out of them I would say neither. Audi often specify not to use the GD Year AS2.

Being a bit OCD about maintenance and care for my vehicle I like to stick to manufacture standards. And I have mentioned before in previous posts when I went and explored the GMBH factory where my Audi was built I naturally asked a lot of questions regarding the quattro system etc. The big thing they always mentioned was tyres is the biggest factor for optimal life and performance on the quattro cars. They actually gave me a list of all tyres that meet there standard and are recommended for the quattro system. Being a GD year AS2 fan for my other vehicles I noticed it was not on there. Basically it boiled down the compound being too soft, side wall is soft and the asymetric pattern causes issues - makes them prone to staggered effect or saw tooth effect . Some may have other experiences and thoughts. But for me I rather listen to these guys that built the vehicle :) All down to choice.

If you were to ask me which tyre I would suggest for excellent grip and rim protector I would say easily:

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 or the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT

The Bridgestone potena s001 are noisy tyres also rated 3 noisiest tyre for the 235/40/18 range. Again preference.

Last edited:
So what did the Audi guys say to use - may help with my choice later ;)

To answer to what you were asking I would say the GD year F1 AS2 has the better alloy wheel protection.

If you were asking me which Tyre I would choose out of them I would say neither. Audi often specify not to use the GD Year AS2.

Being a bit OCD about maintenance and care for my vehicle I like to stick to manufacture standards. And I have mentioned before in previous posts when I went and explored the GMBH factory where my Audi was built I naturally asked a lot of questions regarding the quattro system etc. The big thing they always mentioned was tyres is the biggest factor for optimal life and performance on the quattro cars. They actually gave me a list of all tyres that meet there standard and are recommended for the quattro system. Being a GD year AS2 fan for my other vehicles I noticed it was not on there. Basically it boiled down the compound being too soft, side wall is soft and the asymetric pattern causes issues - makes them prone to staggered effect or saw tooth effect . Some may have other experiences and thoughts. But for me I rather listen to these guys that built the vehicle :) All down to choice.

If you were to ask me which tyre I would suggest for excellent grip and rim protector I would say easily:

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 or the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT

The Bridgestone potena s001 are noisy tyres also rated 3 noisiest tyre for the 235/40/18 range. Again preference.

So what did the Audi guys say to use - may help with my choice later ;)

Well its quite a long list to be honest. It all depends on the brand you are after if you mention a few brands i can suggest which are recommend to be used with the vehicle.

Dunlop Sport Maxx RT seems to have very good EU ratings. Not sure how much you can trust those new-fangled EU tyre ratings though.

Dunlop Spot Maxx RT
Fuel Efficiency: C
Wet Grip: A

All I know is they make some damn fine tennis racquets haha, to be honest it puts me off a brand when they think they're jack of all trades; e.g. Phillips making coffee machines, razors, irons, light bulbs, televisions, juicers, tooth brushes, head units, etc. I'm sure both brands are good in all aspects but prefer picking one that focuses on one specific area.

Iv used the continental eco contacts on my previous cars and been happy with them, and an S4 owning friend of mine uses the continental sport contact 2 on his cars. Not sure about the rim protection, i don't think it was very big so they might not be much use.

My Girlfriends dad has the Bridgstones Potenza fitted to his Subaru WRX ProDrive and loves them. They have a fairly big rim protection but then the down side is, they aren't all that much use in the snow. They are more a fair weather tyre!

Jack

Goodyear own Dunlop.

VW owns Bugatti :p

Edit: Not sure if the reasoning behind that was made clear but there's a difference in one company trying to be jack of all trades and one splitting apart with different names, strategies and aims.

Last edited:
Dunlop Sport Maxx RT seems to have very good EU ratings. Not sure how much you can trust those new-fangled EU tyre ratings though.

Dunlop Spot Maxx RT
Fuel Efficiency: C
Wet Grip: A

I think I'd trust the EU tyre ratings about as much as I trust the EU fuel consumption figures!!

I have used the assymetrics 2 and the potenzas s04, never used the s001 so i can tell you this:

Both are amazing tyres, it is clear that the assymetrics have better traction and stopping power, in handling i had the feeling that the assymetrics were a bit softer although they where progresive and very grippy. The s04,s were grippy but not as proggresive . Both turned to be very comfortable in every day use although the assymetrics were quieter.

The rim prottection of the assymetrics is good , i guess it has a 6 mm protection band , same
As the bridgestones.

Both

I'm a big fan of potenzas they last a long time too . Also continental conti sports are good but a bit pricey . Just don't go for nankang ditch finders :)

I've been looking for a while at what to fit next, as my current tyres are coming to the end of their useful life. I'm closing in on the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT.

VW owns Bugatti :p

Edit: Not sure if the reasoning behind that was made clear but there's a difference in one company trying to be jack of all trades and one splitting apart with different names, strategies and aims.
Volkswagen owns all

Bridgestone S001 for me. Had the Bridgestone RE-01R's on my old Evo when it was imported from Japan (can't buy those tyres in the UK) and they were PHENOMENAL for outright grip. When they wore out I got the S001's which were only just coming out at the time....much and such the same grip as the RE-01R's but a slightly softer carcass making for a slightly softer ride. I'm sure the RE-01R's would have been better when pushing to the limits, but for all other times the S001 was just as good which is why I still use them on my B7 A4 Quattro.

However as for which one offers best rim protection....not a clue, sorry!

Reactions: Peto Pedro
2017 12 27 084757

Much better tyres out there .

@Gazwould the general reviews of other people (which is what those ratings are) don't always mean much. I will personally stick to my own experience of tyres. Having used Goodyear Eagle F1's in the past and the Potenza S001's, I would personally opt for the Potenza all day long as a summer tyre. The grip, feedback, handling and overall tyre characteristics from cold were much better IMO than the Goodyear, but again....that is my personal opinion based on my own experience. Your results may vary.

I always listen to the masses
( 63 reviews and over 800,000 miles in this case ) , not just a few , and take tyre test shoot outs with a pinch as they don't reflect what they'll be like long term .

Bridgestone Vs Michelin , Goodyear , absolutely no competition .

I always listen to the masses
( 63 reviews and over 800,000 miles in this case ) , not just a few , and take tyre test shoot outs with a pinch as they don't reflect what they'll be like long term .

Bridgestone Vs Michelin , Goodyear , absolutely no competition .
I'll buy both 4x Asymetric 3 and 4x S001 :D :p
I watch his guy on youtbe and michelin tyres are not good on audi a3/s3/rs3 cars he said on one of the vids.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Supercarfanatic94/videos

Attachments

• Tyres.jpg
    Tyres.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 210
Last edited by a moderator: