Brembo Brakes

Danny Cawsey

Cawsey
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Ive just bought some Mitsubishi Evo Brembo front and rear calipers, disks and pads off ebay for 219 quid delivered.
How difficult are they going to be to fit to my S3 what adapters do i need and where from?

Any help would be great, Thanks

Evo calipers are lug mount IIRC (pictures would help)... there are no readily/easily available adaptors for these types of calipers... you will most likely need to get them custom made... there was one member here (S3BAM I think) who got some made but there isn't anything commercially available as far as I know...

No idea what disks you would use either as Evo ones aren't going to work...

The calipers to use are radial mount and easier to source adaptors for

<tuffty/>

Looks like you might have a jumped a little early here mate!

Seeing as it's already cost you £220, you're going to have your work cut out to make them work on your car for less than a set of brembo's or porsche brakes that'd go straight on....

If you have bought something like these..
mitsubishi evo 4 5 6 7 8 9 complete set brembo brake calipers discs hoses & pads | eBay

or these..
Mitsubishi evo brake calipers front & rear | eBay

Heres the link to the calipers i bought,

Evo 4-9 Complete Brembo Brake Kit | eBay

Ok so if i were to decide to go ahead with fitting these, i could have the brackets machined at work if there isnt an off the shop set. What els would i need, what disc could i buy to fit?
im going to price it all up and see what i can do, if not then ill sell them on and buy others.

Heres the link to the calipers i bought,

Evo 4-9 Complete Brembo Brake Kit | eBay

Ok so if i were to decide to go ahead with fitting these, i could have the brackets machined at work if there isnt an off the shop set. What els would i need, what disc could i buy to fit?
im going to price it all up and see what i can do, if not then ill sell them on and buy others.

No idea on discs... a quick google suggests they are 320x32mm so an LCR disc is no good as its 28mm... there is also the question of pad depth as most 2-piece setups are for 50mm deep pads... disc diameter will also be dictated by the bracket design too as it will most likely require a larger disc than the 320mm

Once you have the right size and offset for the discs (stick to a VAG offset due to clearance of suspension etc) you can sort the brackets out... as these are lug mount its going to be a ******...

Rears... no idea... you will need to keep the original caliper as it has the handbrake stuff in or get a special helper caliper (comp brake sell them?) then you would need to fit the brembo to the original mount (using a bracket) as this will need to be solid for obvious reasons... you will need to then fabricate and fix on a new bracket for the handbrake caliper.. and re-route the cable maybe...

Good luck :)

<tuffty/>

...should say I am assuming that the rears don't have handbrake capability... I know nothing about Evo's :)

<tuffty/>

...should say I am assuming that the rears don't have handbrake capability... I know nothing about Evo's :)

<tuffty/>

Just did a quick search and i think the evos use a different system for the hand brake, like a drum action to the inner side of the disc.
just an idea how does the hydrolic handbrake like you see in rally and drift cars work could i not plum that into the rear brake lines?
i do like a challenge :) after all the s3 is going to be turned into a full time track car as of next month so i have all the time to strip it apart and change things.

You can't run a hydraulic handbrake on a car that will be used on the road... it is illegal and will fail the MOT... and rally boys run 2 calipers iirc...

<tuffty/>

You can't run a hydraulic handbrake on a car that will be used on the road... it is illegal and will fail the MOT... and rally boys run 2 calipers iirc...

<tuffty/>

Ahh i didnt know that, thats a no go then. looks like the rear calipers will go back on the bay then.

I did once make a pair of brackets up for some Lug mounted Porsche calipers onto a mk3 golf.
Doable but... bit of a faff

Why not use them and buy a caliper assister like tuffty said from compbrake for the handbrake?

Definately easier and probally alot cheaper to sell the evo ones and buy lcr or porche ones...

All the info for suitable brakes is in the FAQ's... have you read through it yet?

<tuffty/>

Thanks mate didnt realize there was a full write up on brakes in there, think im going to bid on some Porsche calipers,
sounds more sensible.

Probably would have saved you a bit of pain in the first place ;P

<tuffty/>

Ok so ive found these Porsche 996 big reds front calipers on ebay with 20mins left but there is one fault with them,

“these calipers are the perfect brake upgrade for your vag. In good working condition tho there are 2 shims seized in the pistons but unless you are using genuine porsche pads then there perfectly fine and still work perfectly fine. part numbers are 996.351.429 and 996.351.430. fit 330mm discsthis advert is for both calipers as seen in pictures”

Is this anything to worry about? here is the link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-996-Turbo-Big-Red-Front-Brake-calipers-A3-A4-A6-GOLF-BORA-LEON-CUPRA-R-/271132578126?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3APorsche%7CPlat_Gen%3A996&hash=item3f20c2d14e

Got all excited and saw that your not going with the evo calipers, you have to mill off the mounting lugs and run brackets.
They are quite versatile calipers if your going to mess with them but a lot easier to flog them on unless you have a milling machine and a large piece of good grade aluminium

Got all excited and saw that your not going with the evo calipers, you have to mill off the mounting lugs and run brackets.
They are quite versatile calipers if your going to mess with them but a lot easier to flog them on unless you have a milling machine and a large piece of good grade aluminium

Might have missed the boat on this one.... 2 year bump?!

Reactions: grainqey