1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Brembo 4 pot performance improvement

S3 Hilife Jul 18, 2017

1. S3 Hilife

S3 Hilife It's an addiction Team Dolphin Grey Gold Supporter VCDS Map User Audi S3 quattro

Hi guys, I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding my brake setup. I Know, I know, not another brake thread

For the last year or so I've been using Brembo GT juniors with DS2500 pads on 323mm disks as pictured here

[​IMG]

I'm running reasonably high power with a big turbo setup but the brakes just aren't quite enough, lots of brake fade at high speed I'm convinced the DS2500 pads are the main culprit but I'm looking for any way of improving the setup without having to replace the calipers. I've been looking at Carbone Lorraine RC6 and DS1.11 pads

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motor...petition-brake-pads-rc6-compound-rear-pad-set

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/vehicle-specific-brake-pads/ferodo-ds1-11-brake-pads

Any suggestions for a better pad with improved bite and less fade over the DS2500's for fast road/occasional track use but must also have low dust which for me eliminates DS3000 pads as an option.

Also is it worth upgrading to 330mm disks?

Thanks

Steve

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

330mm 2 piece will manage heat better... I use DS1.11's and they are awesome but... they make a right mess of the wheel fallout wise... the stuff just sticks to the wheel and is a ****** to move... dusty pads like the DS3000's might be easier to clean on a well protected wheel even though they are dusty...

I am about to try Mintex M1155's (suggested to me by the ASN brakespert) on 335mm rotors...

<tuffty/>

S3 Hilife likes this.
  4. S3 Hilife

S3 Hilife It's an addiction Team Dolphin Grey Gold Supporter VCDS Map User Audi S3 quattro

Thank you Tuffty it's a shame, it doesn't look like those Mintex M1155's are available for the 4 pots

Steve

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  5. Solberg

Solberg Active Member

What piston sizse are these calipers?

Ive got EBC Yellowstuff on my calipers, super happy.

6. S3 Hilife

They're same as LCR 34/38mm iirc

Steve

7. Rainbird

Rainbird Well-Known Member

LCR are 36/40mm, but I'm fairly sure these are indeed the same :yes:

S3 Hilife likes this.
  8. EmmaJ

EmmaJ Well-Known Member Team Nano Grey TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter Audi S3 S tronic

Pagid RS29 pads are superb with incredible bite from cold and very resistance to fade but they aren't exactly low dust. Best pads I ever used when I had my 620rwhp Monaro.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

9. RAF_S7

RAF_S7 Well-Known Member Team V8 Gold Supporter Team Sepang Audi S7 A7 Owner Group Black Edition

If your getting brake fade when tracking or driving hard, then as well as pads you should consider performance brake fluid and perhaps braided hoses.

I'm a fan of EBC, and they come in a huge model range. Check out their website here

10. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

hard pedal or long pedal?

11. S3 Hilife

Pedal feels perfectly normal and they're fine at lower speeds but braking >70 it's lacking friction. I have braided lines and RBF600 fluid (not 660)

Steve

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User TDi quattro Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group

If the brakes work OK the first 2 or 3 times you try and stop from speed and then after that the brakes seems to lose their effectiveness everything has probably got a bit too hot. Whatever you do some brake cooling will always help.
    You can fit TTRS brake ducts to the bottom wishbone or rig up some ducting to feed air to the back of the brakes from the front grille area.
    Larger rear brakes may help as well.
    http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s4-rear-300mm-conversion-kit-completed.172858/

snowy likes this.
  14. snowy

snowy Active Member

Heat soak is the achilles heel of the junior gt (tiny pad + narrow disc)

Once heat soaked they are hopeless, whatever pad you've got in; the caliper really lock the heat in too compared to other calipers so ducted air v.helpful

But as said, even with stock mintex (brembo) pads in you should get a couple of stabs at high speed (150+) braking before heat soak sets in