Breather hose on the top of the rocker cover,what does it do?

studunc06

Reaction score
I had an issue recently where I had changed my oil and filter and about a month and half later my min oil light came on,got home checked and sure enough the oil was on its min level. Before this I was getting quite a strong burning oil smell at times when I was sitting with the car idling, couldn't quite confirm if it was coming from the engine bay or the exhaust. There are some leaks around the engine but nothing on the driveway.

I was having a look around it yesterday and noticed the breather hose from the rocker cover was not attached to the intake pipe for the turbo,pipe is now attached. My question is what does this pipe do exactly and could it be a factor in the oil issue that I mentioned above. Another point to note is that its been a few weeks since I topped my oil back up and it is still on the max level,but before that I had done a round trip up and down the A9 from Elgin to Dundee and a trip to Aberdeen and back,it was this trip back from Aberdeen where the light came on, so maybe the type of miles is a contributory factor also.

Only had the car a few months and it is going back to the place of purchase next week to sort a few of the a fore mentioned leaks out but I want to go with a bit knowledge on what the problem might be so they cant just fob me off.

P.S. my car is a 170 TDI Quattro,engine code BRD

Last edited: