Break pads and disks-time to choose...

Andreashadji

Reaction score
Hi gang!
Got myself a second hand A3 8p 2.0 TDI Quattro,2012 model 170ps(chipped to 195 from ABT).
It’s due for break pads and/maybe break disks change.
I would love your opinion on the best solution for the setup above.
Also what are the factory originals code?
Thanks in advance!!

in your spare wheel well, therell be a sticker with a bunch of codes on it.
youre looking for a 2x 3 digit codes beginning with 1 which will be your brake setup for the front and rear. eg. 1kd 1ze.

based on that you can get the sizes and then the oe code for them.

when it comes to replacing them, as to which brands, as long as theyre relatively decent, well known brands, youll be ok.
eg. go with a bosch, brembo, textar, pagid, ferodo etc etc etc branded pad and the reality is they will all perform roughly the same as each other. one will not be much different from another due to ece r90 regulations.

Reactions: Andreashadji
Ok so according to this http://prsearch.planetvag.com/
I have the following :
PRCode: 1KS = Disc brakes rear (Geomet D)
PRCode: 1ZA = Disc brakes front
If I use the VIN on auto parts sites I get different options for pads and disks.
How do we sort that out?

1ks disc size 272x10mm
disc part number 1K0615601AA
pad part number 5K0698451A

1za disc size 312x25mm
disc part number 1K0615301AA
pad part number 3C0698151C

you could go to a site like eurocarparts/carparts4less, type in your reg. and in the detail section make sure they match the pr code and sizes your car uses.
personally wouldnt get OE brake pads/discs as youll pay more

Euro Car parts always have offers on, and if you find the product code of the item they sell on their site and paste it into Ebay, you usually find good deals.
I put the part number of their Brembo rear disc (310mm) into Ebay and they were £70 per side on their site, and £80 a pair on ebay for the same discs from Euro car parts ebay account!

Nice!thats great info guys!
How do you much the pr codes with specific part numbers?
Is there a site or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son went through 2 sets of Pagid discs that warped and juddered when hot.

A couple of things to note when making your decision.

When buying discs make sure the non friction areas are coated to prevent rust - or even better coat them yourself if you can using something like Hammerite smooth.

When choosing pads, go with ones that produce less brake dust - TRW DTEC series or the OE ones are very good in this respect.

A couple of things to note when making your decision.

When buying discs make sure the non friction areas are coated to prevent rust - or even better coat them yourself if you can using something like Hammerite smooth.

When choosing pads, go with ones that produce less brake dust - TRW DTEC series or the OE ones are very good in this respect.
good point there. i was thinking something like the ATE ceramic line with ATE disks in the front and Zimmermann disk in the back.

The Brembo discs I bought had a coating on them, should keep them rust free for a good while.

Not much to add to the above replies as it’s all great advice, I’d always believe the PR code from the spare wheel well sticker or service book in preference to a 3rd party website....
The fitment tab on the Euro Car Parts website lists the PR code for braking components which is why I normally buy mine from them, or if not in a hurry from their internet-only trading arm Carparts4less...
I used to be a big believer in Pagid stuff after over 20 years of using them (still am in a way, my car uses their calipers and brake hoses) but have gone right off their friction products after having a set of vented discs for my A3 with what appeared to be quite bad casting cracks between the cooling fins!
Swapped these for a set of Brembo discs and I’ve had no issues at all.

I echo the findings of Pagid with hot judder and undurable coating .

BREMBO .

Both good choices. Ate made the stock factory pads on my 1ze brakes.
Where are you finding zimmerman discs. I've read about them, they're highly rated by Mercedes drivers, but haven't seen them over here.

On Greek replacement parts stores.i m guessing that due to weight it won’t be cost effective to shop from uk or de based shops.

Stick with std discs and pads then when you have a problem you have some come back. Cheaper is not always the best.

Reactions: ch1z64
My son went through 2 sets of Pagid discs that warped and juddered when hot.

Did you actually check the run out on the discs or are you assuming they warped with heat ?

Stick with std discs and pads then when you have a problem you have some come back. Cheaper is not always the best.

Agreed!
i went for ATE ,both disks and pads so now waiting for delivery and fitting...

Reactions: paddy
I have stock discs and pads from TPS on the fronts, and Brembo's on the rear.
Brembo's look to be better quality (as to be expected) but the OEM kit has been on the front for several thousand miles and I've not had any issues with them. I'm not looking to make big power from my S3 so these discs and pads are more than suitable for me.

Did you actually check the run out on the discs or are you assuming they warped with heat ?

No checking for run out but they were changed for EBC slotted discs and then no further problems. However the EBC red stuff pads did not last very long but then changed for Brembo pads and again no problems.

Both good choices. Ate made the stock factory pads on my 1ze brakes.
Where are you finding zimmerman discs. I've read about them, they're highly rated by Mercedes drivers, but haven't seen them over here.

Zimmerman is sold by AUTODOC and a few online retailers in the UK.

Reactions: samisnake
On a completely different subject,my car came with no service book but just a receipt from the last service performed in an Audi center in Nürnberg,Germany with which I talked over the phone and validated the fact that the car was serviced on time according to their records.
Problem is they can’t sent me the records or a second service book so I know what the schedule and requirements are.
They said all I need is the first two pages where it’s analyzed what and when needs to be done but they only had it in German...
Any chance any of you folks own a similar model and could sent me over email a pdf of the ****** pages?
It’s an 8p,2.0tdi,Quattro 2012 model.

My stepfather had a 2004 C280 CDI estate until recently which had the Sports suspension/brakes package which comprised Brembo front calipers and huge vented and cross drilled discs as standard.
We replaced them at some stage with Zimmermann discs from GSF and IIRC Textar pads and they were superb, the car was used extensively to tow quite a heavy Hymer caravan all over Europe so the brakes worked hard on that vehicle.....

No checking for run out but they were changed for EBC slotted discs and then no further problems. However the EBC red stuff pads did not last very long but then changed for Brembo pads and again no problems.

Well i ask because my vagbremteknic discs lasted 2k miles before they started grabbing when hot, i had them clocked and they were dead true. I was told that the only way to clean up the pad transfer that built up on them causing hot spots was to get them skimmed. I did this, refitted and checked again and they were spot on true but put the car on the MOT brake tester and the needle went haywire on/off on/off just like a warped disc.

In the end i scrapped them and fitted std discs and pads and the car stops fine. strange thing is i fitted the Vagbrems because i had EBC fitted that were doing the same and i had Brembo pads with both.

On a completely different subject,my car came with no service book but just a receipt from the last service performed in an Audi center in Nürnberg,Germany with which I talked over the phone and validated the fact that the car was serviced on time according to their records.
Problem is they can’t sent me the records or a second service book so I know what the schedule and requirements are.
They said all I need is the first two pages where it’s analyzed what and when needs to be done but they only had it in German...
Any chance any of you folks own a similar model and could sent me over email a pdf of the ****** pages?
It’s an 8p,2.0tdi,Quattro 2012 model.

Buy one off eBay.

I have Vagbremtechnic rotors and I think they’re great. Obviously replaced the front when I went BBK but never had an issue with them, running Brembo pads.