Break or wait?

Dan TheMan Welburn

Reaction score
Sadly the time has come for me to say goodbye to my B6, im attempting to go self employed offering recovery and vehicle transport around where i live and the only real asset I have to sell and make the money to set up is my beloved B6, Now ive had it advertised for the last week, and so far not even getting offered close to what I want, I believe this is due to the car being a previous Cat C. It's a shame as i get so many nice comments about the colour and how nice the car is, and in all honesty I have probably piled around 5K in the car since buying it 2 and a half years ago.

I have done some research and looking at price the good parts are going for i believe my car has the ability to make around 2500 maybe more in parts, but obviously I will have to sit on it for a good while, whilst everything sells.

What would you guys do? wait for a buyer who offers close to my 2k asking price or break??

All opinions welcome

Not sure where ya advertising it bud, but thought yu would of got that all day long, as for breaking it, this is very time consuming in my opinion bud, and would only consider if you have the space and time to do it, as most people will want you to take the part of, more ball ache ya dont need!!

Get it on fleebay on a free weekend, put a reserve on with a low starting bid and see wha go on, nothing to lose then!

Its on eBay mate has been for a week had two offers one of 1200 one of 1400 I cant justify it going for less than 2k really. I do have the space and time to break it, as i normally have a breaker on the front, (my neighbours aren't bothered) just weighed in my last one last week, but I'm gonna have to get a cheap runaround to keep me motoring in the meantime and see if i have the willpower to put all incoming into a pot for the overall goal (I'm terrible at saving). Its also on countless selling groups on FB but as soon as they read its Cat C they want it for a pittance, does no-one respect the amount of money and effort others put into their cars anymore?

link to ebay ad please

iv bought cat c's a few times and paid very stupid low prices
if you strip it for parts then its a wait to sell them all.

When i bought the car it looked like this

Dull grey interior nasty paint on rear quarters, scuffs and scrapes all over dents and rust on both wings, i paid 1800 for it like that with 90k on it 10mths mot and 4 tax, so i dont think im being greedy at 2k with everything ive done, considering its mechanically spot on

Give it a good clean, Polish and valet the interior then take photos and advertise it. Pictures tell 1000 words and if a car is presented well it will get more attention. Every car I have sold has had the full works Done to it and has always sold to the first person who views it and gets the money I'm after. Give it a go. Just looks a bit dirty and dull in the photos. :)

Dan - Please don't take this the wrong way, as I enjoy personalising a car as much as anyone.

But I don't think the colour is helping.

No offense taken jim, I intended on keeping the car for a long time hence the colour change, and to be honest it helped as it cut my insurance by more than half, (as strange as that may sound), and i fully understand the fact that it will only appeal to people with similar taste, since it was painted in september last year its had hundreds of lovely comments about the colour, and the paintwork now is in better condition then the dolphin grey was,

Obviously i cant go getting it painted a standard colour now to sell it on, so its looking like im gonna be breaking it, tonnes of extras, mods in it, and a few very rare and pricey extras so it should make me a fair bit in pieces,,

Keep an eye on ebay finds and classifieds as ill list some of the more popular parts in there

Typically after deciding to break the car and advertising it as breaking someone asks to see it, and decide they will pay my 2k asking price so all in all not bad a no work for me stripping it, although i now dont own an audi ill still loiter about this forum as im a sponge and love the info i find on the posts on here

Happy motoring all!

Reactions: Sandra
Typically after deciding to break the car and advertising it as breaking someone asks to see it, and decide they will pay my 2k asking price so all in all not bad a no work for me stripping it, although i now dont own an audi ill still loiter about this forum as im a sponge and love the info i find on the posts on here

Happy motoring all!

Good you sold Dan. Be good to see you remain active on here. Good luck with the new career path. :) x

Happy motoring all!

What did i say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear you have not tore her apart lol

That's great news....... Half the problem is getting prospective buyers to actually come and see the car. Once they're there, they realize it's worth buying.

And..... Great to see it not broken after all your hard work.

Congratulations

Thanks all anxious and excited for whats to come, but i won't get anywhere if i don't try!

It may end up getting broken anyway as the young lad that has bought it hasn't decided if he's taking the parts he wants for his avant and then breaking or just letting his gf have it

At least it saves "You" from having to strip it, especially if your weathers anything like it is down south. I'm sweating my nuts off just loading mine onto a trailer for it's timing gear to be refreshed.

Just realised your from Teesside.....

I was born and bred in Guisborough.

Stockton specifically mate, not as close to top of the "worst places to live in britain" list as it used to be lol, yeah been very warm worse for chunky git like me, but im not shy of some hard graft