Facelift Break in and first oil change interval

SteviegRS

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am following the Audi recommended break in process (this is a hot topic and I know everyone has an opinion on break in procedures so I don’t want to get into that).

Coming from having a lot of motorbikes and having some BMW M cars I was shocked that this being a performance car it seems that it doesn’t need an oil change immediately after the break in before being able to rev the engine harder! I have tried to confirm with various Audi dealers and no one seems to consistent with their advice regarding the first oil change interval - I was told not until 22k then was told 10k miles for RS models....

This seems like a very long time to change the oil after breaking in the engine with bits of metal in it! BMW M cars have a 1200 mile service where the oil and other fluids get changed before you can start reving the car harder. Motorbikes generally have 600 miles then an oil change before reving the engine higher.

What have you guys done / heard?

Being very mechanically sympathetic im considering doing an oil change at 1000 miles before reving the engine higher or is this a waste of time / money if Audi recommend otherwise?

I thought the same thing.... being in the trade myself.... in thought it was strange also

I am old school and having worked in the motor trade for a long time when it was standard to have a first service at 1000 miles I have always adopted that methodology on all my cars, including my RS3.

It can't do any harm and IMHO adds miles/years to an engine.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I’ll be changing the oil after running in just to make sure.

I don't know what oil is supplied as standard but it is probably 5w/40 at best. As I want 0W/30 in the winter at least then an early change is on the cards. 1000 miles sounds great.

I don't know what oil is supplied as standard but it is probably 5w/40 at best. As I want 0W/30 in the winter at least then an early change is on the cards. 1000 miles sounds great.
0/30 is the standard fill.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

For anyone really anal about viscosity watch all 4 minutes of this -

I think first service says 20k but first oil change is 9k.
Shows on the service screen.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk