brand new turbo fitted...=) 1.8t agu

E4 FENN

mr fenn
Reaction score
hello everyone,1998 1.8t agu engine,so i took my a3 off the road as it failed mot on exhaust emissions,asuming it was the turbo seals or turbo shaft,i just bought a new k03s at a cost and replaced it,car is running again, started 1st time after priming the engine,,new oil,oil filter,antifreeze,oil n water turbo lines,..but its still smoking more than normal? sounds abit "tappy" on top end...its due a cam belt change,but need to find cause of smoking,

so ive searched the site for causes found afew things,eg stem seals n valve guides...also found worn piston rings...=(....before the new turbo,the car ran fine and boosted great always started no promlems,......car runs now with new turbo ive not drove the car,only had it on tick over,pushed it 2500rpm and lots of oil from exhaust still???any one out there that can help please..thanks

That could be an expensive lesson, you are best finding the cause before swapping bits, but i guess you know that now.... sounds like valve stems or piston rings

If the turbo went ... the exhaust maywell be full of old engine oil.
Takes quite a while to clear, even when driven,
Is the tapping noise from the head? the timing belt area?
I had the tensioner start to fail on the timing belt and it ratteled like hell.
I would check the belt and tensioner, drop the oil and see what things are like then.
What mileage is on the car?

also worth noting that an AGU with a ko3S fitted ought to be mapped to suit the turbo change....

hey s3 paul thanks,yes tapping noise is timing belt area i think,,the miles is around 90000....only put the oil in lastnight??..what oil do you use? so maybe the exhaust has oil in it,...i will have a look at belt tensioner too......s3dave yes i know lol =)

I use a thicker grade than standard 10/60w but that was because i used to drive hard.
Take the timing belt cover off ( top part) and see if the sprung loaded tensioner arm will move with your fingers... mine did, the rattle was the arm slapping back and forward.