Braking needs some force

Daniel43CR

Reaction score
Hello. I have an s-tronic 1.5tfsi A3 (8YS) saloon sport and find it requires some effort to stop the car. I did not notice this in the A1 40TFSI I test drove (very good brakes in that one) a while ago so wondered if this is normal or not for this model. I actually find myself shouting at the car to 'bleeping' stop as I approach the back of the car in front at some speed. Thoughts appreciated. Cheers, Dan

I find if I turn off the recuperation in the mmi it improves the braking. Its under efficiency I think.

In my car, braking requires very little effort, regardless of the recuperation setting (which should be enabled if you want to take full advantage of the mild hybrid system that you’ve paid for). (I have the 1.5 TFSI S-Tronic S-Line Hatchback.)

Just a thought, do S-line have 'bigger/better' brakes than Sport and Technik trims? Eg...like Merc's AMG line have drilled brakes over standard solid discs? Maybe better tyres, you running Bridgestone T005s or Pirelli P7 C2?
Once I get my A3 Sport (Hatch) later this month, I will let you know my experience from the brakes, but I get what you're saying, previously had a Seat Leon (2013 model) that I felt the same about the brakes and though it was normal, the cars after was a Seat Ibiza and Volvo V40, and those brakes were significantly better at stopping. I did have Bridgestone Turranzas on the Leon though.

I have the Pirelli P7 C tyres. It feels as if the servo assistance is performing poorly. It is being picked up tomorrow by the dealer so I will see what it is like on return one day in the future (list of 14 issues to go through). Cheers, Dan

I find the braking to be slightly inconsistent as I've nearly rolled into another car a couple of times. The first part of the braking seems to be quite strong but as I'm coming to a halt it feels as if the brakes start to fade and needs a bit more push to bring it to a stop.

Overall I've put it down to how the car is rather than a fault. Feels completely different to my A Class which seemed to brake better but was probably too strong/sharp and needed a feather touch.

Reactions: Daniel43CR
I find the braking to be slightly inconsistent as I've nearly rolled into another car a couple of times. The first part of the braking seems to be quite strong but as I'm coming to a halt it feels as if the brakes start to fade and needs a bit more push to bring it to a stop.
Me too. Assuming that you have the S-Tronic, I think that’s a result of the regen braking being less effective at low speeds. (so, as the car slows to a stop, you have to brake a little harder to make more use of the physical brakes. Which is a little counter-intuitive, but I’ve found that I’m getting used to it.)

No, mines the manual.

The brakes are strong but just take a bit of getting used to I've found.

Reactions: AdamInKent
Now just driven my car for a good 2 hours, and yes the brake pedal feel are a bit different. Not that the car doesn't stop, but for instance my previous two cars I need to press 30-40% force and pedal travel to stop, whereas the A3 I need to press 40-50% force for a similar stop. However it does stop no problems at all. Dad has a 8 yr old Honda Insight, and need to press maybe 50-60%, so yea...just different I guess.

The competition has bigger brakes, took around 1k miles for them to bed in and now feel much better. Initially they felt very weak

Cheers for all the replies. Got the car back just over a couple of weeks ago where they said they had done something (software?) but not noticed any difference. Will just adapt to this different set-up (previous car was a manual Golf R, so a little different). Cheers, Dan