Brakes for S4

Just Plain Old

Reaction score
Having some new disks and pads fitted by AMD next week.....

I can remember they said the pads would be Mintex, and the disks from america........ some make called HDS,, or something like that.

Have I done the 'right' thing??

ECS by any chance? They have a pretty good reputation as mid range upgrades afaik. As for whether it's 'right' - that kind of depends on why you're changing in the first place. Have your current discs and pads just reached the end of their working life, or was there some deficiency that you're trying to address...

ECS.......... Yep, that sounds right.

Basically I did the Audi track day at castle Combe recently, and the front disks and pads are now bolloxed. So I wanted something that would be good for more than one track day, and this was AMDs suggestion. Without spending vast amounts on AP brake kits, that is.

Thanks

They should suit pretty well for light track use - what kind of discs did you go for - slotted (grooved), drilled or both? In the past I've heard that drilled discs were more prone to cracking under extreme heat, but I suspect that manufacturing techniques have overcome that problem now. Hopefully, anyway. I take it you're sticking with the same size discs as standard?

To be honest I haven't a clue what I'm getting............ They seem a decent bunch so I'm trusting them to come up with the goods that will do the job!!

ECS OE-2-piece, with mintex red box pads /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I'm awaiting the delivery fromECS this morning before i send them to AmD! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ECS OE-2-piece, with mintex red box pads /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I'm awaiting the delivery fromECS this morning before i send them to AmD! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's a small world hey Rich??

So................. are they any good??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yep.. They are pretty good. Speak to Scotty...he has them front and back. Look so much better too. The discs will stay much cooler and fade will be greatly reduced.

Rich

No prob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Let me know your opinion of them once they have bedded in... Might take a little while with new discs and pads.

Rich

Give itabout 100 miles id say... Give them some stick after about 50 or 60.

Rich

Yeah - I'd be interested to find out what you both think of them. They look the part at the very least /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It's review time!!!!

If you look on the AMD web site at the pic of the ECS disks then you'll see what's on my car...as they are my disks!!

Actually to save you all the effort :

134.md.jpg

I went for grooved only as although I know ECS have had no issues with drilled disks, I know other manufacturers have so I played it ultra safe. From a braking perspective don't expect this upgrade to suddenly transform your car as if you'd gone for a full Big Brake Kit. It doesn't. It does hand on longer before you get any fade and they definately look better but to be honest the best benefit is the handling.

The weight saving, particularly on the front, has transformed the car. Before it could get a bit fidgety (sp?) over bumpy surfaces but now it's much better. It also feels like it picks up better and there's less rotational momentum to counter when lifting off or braking. All it all it seems to make the car better all round. I'm very pleased with them.

I had the Mintex reds fitted on the front and left the rears as OEM as they still had loads left. I'd now recommend getting them all changed as I get about 5 times as much brake dust off the back as I do the fronts!! The immediate bite on cold Mintex' isn't as good as OEM but after a dab or two, they seem better i.e. once they have a little heat in them.

I've been running these since September. I've done three days at the 'ring on them (soaking wet - so not such a hot test but the grooves seem to help to maintain constant braking) and also I've just done VMax which required by to stop from 160+ about a dozen times on Sunday.

Highly recommended in my opinion.

p.s. Thanks to Rich who helped me out getting this all sorted with AMD. I think I was the first to get the disks with the Mintex pads in the UK although I know they're popular in the US.

p.p.s. The Mintex pads even have wear indicators. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for that Scotty............ I think I'm getting the drilled disks, so I'll let you know how they go!

I've left the original disks and pads on the back, AMD didn't think it would make much difference to the braking......... only 10% is done on the rears,,,, or something like that??

I wanted to ensure the same on limit brake balance

....ok.

There was a bit of that but I wanted them to look the same! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nice write up scotty - cheers. What kind of calipers is your s4 running out of interest? A few people have mentioned that multi-pot calipers make a massive difference to feel over whatever generally comes as std (single pot sliding seems quite common). Come to think of it, I don't know what type of calipers I have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

Most cars are single piston sliding type... its only the RS6 and new RS4 that have 8 pots.

Rich

Yup that's what I thought. I'd love to be able to do a back to back comparison - preferably a car with ECS/mintex (for example) discs and pads but std calipers, vs same setup but with multi-pot calipers like the ones from the ECS stage V kit to see and feel the difference.

Oh for an ideal world where all this kit was just lying around to test* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

*for 'test', substitute 'play with'

The big difference would be the repeated use test. I'm just on the OEM calipers.

I'll add more info once my problem is resolved but....

The Mintex pads don't appear to fit. On both sides of the car, the inside pad is stuck and therefore wear etc is uneven.

I'm just posting so people don't follow what I did at the moment. It could be just my car, we don't know yet but once it's all resolved I'll post up all the info.

I'm not going to say anymore yet as I don't want to point the finger in any direction until this is resolved.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll add more info once my problem is resolved but....

The Mintex pads don't appear to fit. On both sides of the car, the inside pad is stuck and therefore wear etc is uneven.

I'm just posting so people don't follow what I did at the moment. It could be just my car, we don't know yet but once it's all resolved I'll post up all the info.

I'm not going to say anymore yet as I don't want to point the finger in any direction until this is resolved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm having problems with mine too!! Not sure exactly what yet, the brake pedal is like a sponge, and I had a sticking front 'something', what you describe seems to fit the mark!!

I'm hoping to get mine booked in at AMD on Friday to bleed the system (after an Audi dealer 'apparently' cocked it up) and see what happens from there. But at the moment when I do brake, even reasonably hard, I'm all over the place....................

Ian,

I spoke to Adam at ADM today and we have different issues. It seems your's is something sticking as your suggested.

Good news for all those with the same setup : Mine currently appears to be a rogue set of pads.

I'll be in there on the 22nd December to hopefully get it all resolved.

Hi Scotty,

Looking forward to hearing more about your disc change. Hopefully, it is indeed just a pad problem.

LittleWing and I both drive 3.2L A3s, which have a brake system similar to that of your B6 S4 (345mm fr. 310mm rr. discs with mono-piston sliding calipers all round). The differences lie in the offset of the discs and the rear disc size (310 instead of 300mm).

I'm very happy to see that the weight reduction yielded good results in the handling department. I am looking into a brake upgrade as well, mostly to lower weight and raise the fading's threshold.

Thanks in advance for all the additional information you'll share.

Cheers,
Ben.

I want these with some more info here

300,000 km disc life, taking 5KG off unsprung mass, yummy. No idea on pricing - one guy reckons £3k, but that's just a stab in the dark. I can dream tho...

I've now OEM pads on the front and new disks and the feel is much better. The pads are being sent to the US as part of the investigation. There's obviously no outcome so far but it appears i'm not alone with this problem.

Hi Paul,

Ye you are not alone! It seems that mintex have had a few problems with these pads for some reason... Not every set! The discs .etc were not a problem whatsoever, was just the pads.

RIch

Thanks for your help on this Rich. I've already lost £250 on fuel, a missed track day etc due to these seemingly faulty pads and with another track/driver tuition session on the 28th I thought I was gonna miss that as well.

Many thanks for pulling out the stops. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hi gents........... I'm also on the OEM pads now, apparently the mintex ones cracked and glazed on mine! The OEM's seem much better, however after a bit of harsh use I'm finding I get terrible 'judder', which does actually, to some degree, seem to be permanently present?

It doesn't seem to me that the OEMs on these disks are the 'right' solution,,,,,,,,,, but I'm no expert so I'll just trust Adam at AMD and Rich to come up with the right solution.........I'm sure they will.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for your help on this Rich. I've already lost £250 on fuel, a missed track day etc due to these seemingly faulty pads and with another track/driver tuition session on the 28th I thought I was gonna miss that as well.

Many thanks for pulling out the stops. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me know how you get on with the track performance............... I think you'll have trouble with the OEM Pads!!!

So far they've felt really good but I've not tracked them yet so we'll have to see. I'm not sure how hard I'll be braking tomorrow as it looks like it could be a bit snowy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif