Facelift Brakes and Wheel Bearings

lgooch

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So I replaced the discs and pads on the front of my car as they were pretty worn after 50k miles from new. Also had two tires fitted. Replaced with brembo discs. Pagid pads and Michelin PS4

Ran the car for about 1000 miles but mpg was pretty lousy compared to normal and I thought one of the brakes was probably binding as the car did not feel as Spritely as it should.

Jacked it up. Spun the passenger side wheel and it felt ok. No wired noises.

Did the same on the drivers side and certainly not as free and it did make a noise when spun round as is the pads were rubbing. Only made the noise after a drive and when everything cold no noise at all.

Thought right I need to strip it down and re do it.

Took wheel off and all inside the rim is coated in grease. I thought that must just be the bit of copper slip in whacked on the pads that’s melted.

However it’s everywhere and I did not put that much on

At first I thought the cv boot has split but this was intact.

So question is with this amount of grease has the wheel bearing got hot and has the grease come out of the bearing. ?

745e0c784ed088563b2231f4f8cf264b.jpg

The top of the calliper is coated in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like CV grease tbh, last bearings I did it was red in colour inside the bearings, that not to say yours arent different, but there should be obvious signs where it's from as that doesn't look like copper grease to me.

Reactions: lgooch
If there’s that much grease you should be able to locate where it’s coming from……

Re fuel consumption, are the tyres the same as you had prior? Are the pressures correct ?

Reactions: lgooch
If there’s that much grease you should be able to locate where it’s coming from……

Re fuel consumption, are the tyres the same as you had prior? Are the pressures correct ?

Gone from Bridgestones to Michelin PS4s. Tyre pressures all the same

I think it might be CV boot grease. Very dark in colour but the boot isn’t split and the steel bands holding it in place are tight. All weird to me

It was the CV. Got it up on a ramp and with the wheels turned to full lock there was a tiny slit which appeared at the outer steel band. It was as if the band had cut through the rubber.

It was the CV. Got it up on a ramp and with the wheels turned to full lock there was a tiny slit which appeared at the outer steel band. It was as if the band had cut through the rubber.

Hi So how's car now behaving?
I have now encountered weird noise like quiet humming sound and it is like dynamo generator for light on old bicycles sound. When I go 50, I can hear it most and it makes sound like something is not straight and in same pattern higher pitch humming sound and lower and it doing quickly.. if that makes sense ..
What it could be?

I suspect it’s tyres on mine. MPG is still pretty lousy and the car doesn’t seem to free wheel that freely.

I have spun all the wheel and no brake binding or noisy bearings so I think it’s using PS4 on the front which are new and Bridgestones on the back which were original fit.

I know what you mean by a droning though. Can only be the tires for me.

I've got the PS4s and I think they are noisy and not that great on MPG. I guess this is a trade off for the extra grip they provide

I've got the PS4s and I think they are noisy and not that great on MPG. I guess this is a trade off for the extra grip they provide

Yeah I agree Damo

Just wish I had stayed with the standard Bridgestones now but they were even more expensive. I jumped at the PS4 and now regret it somewhat.

The guy who fitted them did say to me mixing tyres front to back affects MPG and I should replace all 4 and I just laughed at him. He was probably right given I have now googled the issues and lots of people complaining that PS4 are both noisy (mine get a bit whiny) and it hits the fuel somewhat

I won’t be having any more once these are worn out.

I suspect it’s tyres on mine. MPG is still pretty lousy and the car doesn’t seem to free wheel that freely.

I have spun all the wheel and no brake binding or noisy bearings so I think it’s using PS4 on the front which are new and Bridgestones on the back which were original fit.

I know what you mean by a droning though. Can only be the tires for me.

Yeah thought so .. but nothing is wrong with tyres tho.. I have checked them I had wheel alignments done few months ago but car still goes to the left.. So maybe the whole steering mechanism which turns wheels might be off ? Or driveshaft can make noise ?
And when I am driving between 75 , 80 , 85 car slightly vibrating. When 70 - 90 vibration stops.
Thanks