Brake warning symbol

itsmeagain

1.8T Sport Cabriolet
Reaction score
When I start my car I sometimes get the brake warning symbol light up on the dash. And it makes a warning sound for a few seconds. Then it's ok. But yesterday I got into a boy racer moment on a roundabout with a Seat leon Cupar r, and the brake warning light came on again. Any ideas what it could be?

brake warning on first start up is a sign of a dying battery

fill the fuid bottle up to the brim...going quickly round roundabouts with low fluid level will expose the sensor in the bottle and cause the red brake light to go on in the dash!!!

im with kite, it usually the sign of a dying battery. If the symbol stays on then investigate the fluids. I would pop and get your battery checked first

Have you checked the front pads, just to clarify the pads are ok aswell......

fluid pads
and have batt checket age dont realy matter they can go in a mth

Mine came on , just topped up the fluid and touch wood hasn't come on since !!

I have jump started my mr's sisters chaps 2003 a4 tdi this morning as its not being used as been made redundant and funny enough the brake warning symbol was on the dash panel when i fired it up, but im sure he told me a few months ago he needs new pads in the front !! so there might be a link for a duff battery with the symbol

If it comes on when driving its got to be the fluid level probably caused by pad wear .If the fronts were changed recently then maybe the fluid was not topped then otherwise there may be a leak.On starting it will be the electrical spike from the battery

Thanks for the advice everyone, I am gonna check the levels and test the battery. I only get the warning come on when starting the car, and only happened once when driving.

When I start my car I sometimes get the brake warning symbol light up on the dash.

Are you talking the orange light or the red light?

The red one in my experience is caused by a sluggish battery causing reduced pressure in the ABS pump for a few seconds when you start up.

The orange one is of course low pad/fluid, and can also be affected by ABS sensors I believe. I have had this a few times over the last few days, pads and fluid are fine, I've checked the wiring and it looks ok - I have a dodgy light switch at the moment, and I'm going to replace that before I bypass the pad sensor as I'm not convinced the two aren't related....

Car is used daily, so I am gonna get the battery replaced. At least then I can rule that out if it continues.

dont have it replaced as un necassary costs if its not at fault m8 get it checked most places check them for free now

I had brake warnings, had the battery tested and it was 'fine'. I bought a new one anyway and the light stopped and the car started much better.

It's probably worth it with winter approaching.

Gonna change it anyway, especially with winter quickly approaching. It's just over a year old and still under guarantee.

Gonna change it anyway, especially with winter quickly approaching. It's just over a year old and still under guarantee.
A good quality battery thats just a bit low just needs a good recharge if you have the means and the time to leave it on slow charge for a 24hrs.Did this with mine and the warning almost stopped and its much less bother .Also wiggle the battery wire away from the sensor cos it was tight underneath and put some foam padding between them to insulate against the spike

Thanks guys for all the advice. Got the battery checked today and it's fine. It was the brake fluid just needed topping up a bit. All sorted now.