Brake upgrades

Andyb5tdi

B5 1.9TDi AFN
Reaction score
I've fitted new front callipers, discs (standard 288mm Brembo) and pads but the brakes still don't feel that sharp. My old 306 Dturbo had GTi 6 front brakes (283mm) but the callipers were a lot bigger (still single piston) and it was violently quick at stopping. (I appreciate the 306 is 300Kg lighter, but the brakes on the A4 feel like they don't have much clamping force if that makes sense.

Are there any calliper upgrades that keep the 288mm discs?

I've also seen 312mm discs mentioned, using the OEM callipers (288mm) but not sure this would improve things as heat build up isn't my issue.

What are the 312mm discs from and do they use bigger callipers?

What size wheels are needed to fit the 312mm under?

Many thanks

Andy

Have you properly bedded in the new pads?

The 312 upgrade does make a difference, as your applying the same clamping force at a greater distance and thus producing more torque.

But realistically a new healthy 288 setup should stop you pretty well. I run 288's on my track car and its fine.

I'm not really sure what the physical size of the caliper matters.

Reactions: Andyb5tdi
Hi Kev, yep pads are bedded in, but only cheap pads tbf as I did before I thought about keeping it. What pads are you running?

As yes, the bigger discs make sense now. What are they from and what size wheels are needed to fit them?

Andy

the disks are from a B6 3.0L. You need TT caliper carriers (or S3 or some others), and you use the normal A4 pads.

I've currently got EBC yellowstuff in the car but they're useless. I typically just buy decent pads like Ferodo, Jurid, Brembo etc.

They fit under the standard "sport" 16" wheels, by a whisker.

Thank you Kev, I'm keeping an eye out for some 17" OEM wheels so they should fit fine :) I will probably get some decent pads and when the discs need replacing get some 312mm :)

Reactions: Browett1982
Hi Andy, I 'just' did the 312 conversion myself last weekend. I've got 17" boleros and there's loads of room to spare. I bought TT carriers from eBay for about £50 inc postage and standard A8 disks from eurocarparts for £54. I used my existing callipers and brembo pads.

Part No's for the disks and carriers are as follows:

D2 A8 312mm x 25mm rotors 8E0 615 301 R
TT Carriers 1J0 615 125 A

The whole thing took me just over an hour which inc removing the sliding pins and giving everything a good clean and re-grease.

IMO the difference is profound for not a lot of money. Now to fit new HEL Stainless hoses and replace the fluid which should improve the pedal feel and remove the initial squidgy feel...all in time for next weeks road trip to Le Man!

as i said in another thread, those arent A8 rotors.

No A8 in the UK or Europe uses that disk. Its used on larger engined B6 models and some A6's. The part number is valid however, its just not anything to do with an A8.

Yeh lots of the yank forums seem to suggest its an A8 part, maybe they got different stuff over there. Not here though!

Thanks guys, do you think they would fit under 16" wheels?

Looking forward to doing the conversion when the time comes. Unless I could use the. Current 288's to upgrade the other halfs 6n polo lol.

Off topic, have you been to Let Man's before? I've been a couple of times but not for a few years. The first time I went BMW won :) It's a fabulous atmosphere.

Reactions: Samuel c5 Q
yes the 312's fit fine under the 16" sport wheels.

Bear in mind the 312's you retain the original calipers, and only swap out the carrier.

Awesome, regarding wheels I'm after slightly wider tyres rather than bigger wheels, although the 18" do look smart lol

I believe mk1 but not sure did mine only 4 months ago they are a big improvement
IMG 20170906 195643400 zpsillhvwmb edit 1510497086608
IMG 20180211 105915057 HDR zpspnzcabpi edit 1518349150700
IMG 20180211 111808994 HDR zpsqokuuilk edit 1518349231608

Reactions: dubcool.pc
Just need to do my rear discs now they are rubbish

Good plan :) I've got a long list of to do's but find no fun playing cars in the rain and snow lol

I am the same ****** British weather on my list next are my coilovers which I have had for 5 months now but the weathers stopping me from doing it then the bigger turbo hopefully gets better soon

@Andy avant b5 nice one :) Is yours a 1.8t? What coilovers have you gone for?

I need to do the osf wheel bearing, but while I'm there I figure I may as well do:
Top 4 link arms
Bottom 2 link arms
Shocks
Springs
Track rod ends
NSF wheel bearing
And fit the OEM 17" B6 wheels I've had for ages.

In for a penny, in for a pound lol .

Oh and the 312mm conversion if I can find some brackets :)

@Andy avant b5 nice one :) Is yours a 1.8t? What coilovers have you gone for?

I need to do the osf wheel bearing, but while I'm there I figure I may as well do:
Top 4 link arms
Bottom 2 link arms
Shocks
Springs
Track rod ends
NSF wheel bearing
And fit the OEM 17" B6 wheels I've had for ages.

In for a penny, in for a pound lol .

Oh and the 312mm conversion if I can find some brackets :)
Yes mate mines the 1.8t currently looking at hybrid turbos my coilovers are kw there's loads of brackets on eBay at the moment

Nice one :) What power are you going for? I was going to rebuild my Bex in the B6, but then someone mentioned that a 2.7tt would fit so I ended up buying a C5 Allroad lol. I liked the KW (V2 iirc) on my E30. It certainly handled well :)

I've got the Saab red injectors front mount intercooler and a bex manifold not fitted any of them yet waiting on the turbo was hoping for a bex turbo but are very hard to find hoping for around 250bhp

Just found a bex turbo in really good condition 70 pounds bargain

It's a ko3s going to get it returned to be on the safe side it only cost me 60 quid

There shaft play so am going to send it away to be refrubed but for 60 pounds bargain and they are very hard to get hold of spent 3 months trying to find one

Not touched them to be honest mate, the Berlingo alternator has died, so have ordered a cam belt kit to do at the same time, and will pull it apart tomorrow to get the alternator repaired on Monday and then can hopefully crack on with the B5. The blower motor sounded like it was dying on Monday so I ordered one up and it's arrived, just awaiting fitting and I ordered some decent speakers for the rear shelf as the OEM ones were well past their prime. Now just to find my V12 amp and then I can pull the interior apart and cable it. Tempeted to put my sub in the boot, but maybe I'm a bit old for that kind of action lol. The B6 still awaits removing the half an engine left in it and the all road awaits finishing Stripping it down to find the water leak, but I'm none to keen in this recent weather despite how much I love driving it. Hopefully it will soon be mobile again :)

Yep, no rest for the wicked as they say, oh and need to build the man shed this year as well to house the car bits lol.

Does anyone know what TT's use the bracket we need? Was it some of the 225bhp cars/ all of the 225bhp cars/ the 3.2s?

I am pretty sure it wasn't just tt that had 312mm I am sure leon cupra 180bhp also ran them

Well hopefully I have tracked down a set of brackets from a TT (time will tell!) And I've just cross referenced the disc part number and it seems it's fitted to quite a few cars:

Screenshot 20180404 200448

So it looks like I have a set on the Allroad and a set on the B6 to choose from for test fitting :) Happy days :)