Brake Upgrade?

J88MXL

Reaction score
Hi guy,

Before I get roasted for not doing the appropriate searches I did but couldn’t find the answer I was looking for; apologies if it is there but I couldn’t find it.

Quick question regarding braking upgrade; currently have a A3 2.0T Special Edition which comes with 312 brakes at the front and 282 brakes at the rears. I’ve seen that the A3 3.2 had 345 at the fronts and 310 at the back and was wondering whether/how I would go about a conversion? What would be required and is this a worthy upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

I suppose the first question would be why do you want to change, if its performance are you sure yours are working properly ? and are you using good pads etc..

To do the fronts you would need to look out for the callipers and carriers from the 3.2, S3, R32, TTS, Golf6R. The discs from the TTS are 340mm and fit perfectly and you don’t get the rust ring lip on the outer edge. They are lighter than the 345 mm discs with better cooling as well.
I recently did this job on my son’s TT and using EBC yellow stuff pads. He has reported that the braking ability is vastly improved. We used EBC discs but less expensive discs would work too.

Agree with prt but what i was getting at is have you tried yellow stuff on your current set up ?

In all honestly I haven’t tried a different setup on my current system. I just assumed that a larger surface of friction would equate to better braking and this is due to me hopefully going Stage 2/Stage 3. I just want to be well equipped with the knowledge in achieving the power I desire aswell as the handling modifications and braking.

Sorry for jacking thread but looking for advice on brakes as well. I currently have a US 2011 S-line and there's someone locally selling US 2015 S3 calipers for about $250USD. Is it worth purchasing? Or would it be better to just get better pads and paint them?

If your callipers are the type with the bent wire retaining spring down the side then the upgrade from 312 to 340mm discs would work well. The calliper piston is bigger too.
We have a TT with the Golf 6R brake upgrade and another with the standard brakes. The upgraded brakes are more impressive but they are running EBC yellow stuff kit as well.
I think the 2015 S3 kit will fit as I am sure I watched a YouTube video where Golf 7 R brakes were fitted to a Mk 5 Golf GTi but check this yourself and also check the bigger discs and callipers will fit under your wheels.