Brake Upgrade

PJ_B8Tdi

Reaction score
Hi all,

I hope I'm not recycling an old post here,
but here goes....
I'm looking to upgrade my front brakes as I'm about to stick 20" Rotiforms on her and the standard brakes will look inferior, and it'd also be nice to have a little more braking power,can't hurt!
And I've been looking at a few options....

S4/S5 Brakes
RS3/4/5 Brakes
Audi A8 Brakes.

Now bare with me on the A8 ones, I'll get back to them, as far as S4/S5 & The RS brakes if I buy the calipers does anyone know if they're a straight switch? I understand the S and RS models are 345mm and 360mm respectively. And with the caliper size too I'm sure they'll look the business.
I've seen a few posts on different forums but no one seems to give a definitive answer. Do I need new caliper carriers or will they just straight switch?

Now with the A8...The new ones have monstrous calipers, and these accommodate 380mm front discs.
I know. Its sickening, but they would look great and probably have the capability to tear my eyes from their sockets if need be! Hence why I'm also inquiring about these. Anyone know if these will straight swap (If I find a pair at a decent price!)

Cheers, Dan

How much money do you want to spend ??.
The S4/S5 upgrade will be reasonably cheap and will give you larger discs front and rear with the rears being vented. Thats what I did on my car after picking up a complete front and rear caliper set cheaply off Ebay.
Have a look at the build thread linked in my signature.
The RS discs and calipers with the wavy discs and multi pot calipers would look the best but are certainly not cheap and you need to do front and rear.
Hope you are going to be fitting nice grippy rubber to make sure you make the best use of these brakes, unfortunately tyres in 20 inch aren't cheap for good rubber.

Karl.

Reactions: V6 Quatt and PJ_B8Tdi
How much did you pick up the S set of brakes for if you dont get mind me asking? there are plenty of deals to be had on eBay Im just dying for the right set to come up!
I'm not overly concerned about doing the rear for now, and realistically my budget is around 400 and Im pretty confident in fitting them myself or at least with help from my engineer mates.

I have S5 Callipers and black diamond bigger discs with red stuff pads paid £300 just for fronts, a friend had upgraded his A5 to RS brakes said it wasn't too straight forward

The 12 groove black diamond and the red stuff pad combo make good braking but quite loud but to be honest I quite like it lol

How much did you pick up the S set of brakes for if you dont get mind me asking? there are plenty of deals to be had on eBay Im just dying for the right set to come up!
I'm not overly concerned about doing the rear for now, and realistically my budget is around 400 and Im pretty confident in fitting them myself or at least with help from my engineer mates.
I got the complete set of front and rear calipers and discs for £300, had to pick them up which was wasn't so bad as the seller was local. They had been on Ebay for a while as collection only due to the weight so I think he was happy to take a lower price to move them on.
I fitted new front plain pagid discs from car parts for less and can recommend the redstuff pads as well, very good performance and not a lot of dust.
I have had grooved discs in the past and haven't been that keen on them due to noise issues.
The aluminium shields behind the disc don't need changing as they are the same on an A4 as the S4.

Karl.

Reactions: PJ_B8Tdi
You got them for a steal! Its looking like 300 or thereabouts on ebay just for the front calipers and discs! I'll have to keep an eye out for a steal like that!
Cheers guys.