Q5 Brake Systems

aragorn

"Stick a V8 in it!"
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Audi have always been somewhat awkward about providing information on what brake systems are fitted to certain models. They specify brake systems by code, rather than engine size etc.

When your familiar enough with a model, you learn that certain engine combinations come with brake system x or y. But when your not familiar all you get is a code like "1LA" and you've no idea whether that came fitted to the 2.0 TDI or the 3.0TFSI.

I'm interested in the Q5 Brembo calipers.

ETKA shows that early Q5's all used a sliding caliper with either 320 or 345mm disks.

Around 2013, they seem to have replaced the 320mm calipers with a 4 piston fixed brembo unit. And introduced a similar brembo option for the 345mm setup. But there then exists an option for the 345mm setup to still use the older sliding caliper.

Can anyone confirm exactly what cars got the 345mm disks, and why it seems all 320mm cars got the brembo, but only some 345mm cars got it?

Maybe its just a glitch in ETKA and they all got brembos after 2013. But i'd really like to know which models got the bigger setup!

Cheers
Kev

I can't help you with which particular engine / trim spec got the 345mm Brembos as I looked into this when I was looking to source some calipers to fit on my A4. I came to the conclusion that there aren't that many models that had the 345mm Brembos and the second hand prices were quite high,
Eventually I got a pair of calipers from Mike through the parts request, Brand new delivered for £550.
You can spot the 345mm calipers from a picture as they have a hole in the web on the caliper mounting point.
The main picture on this auction is a 345mm caliper.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ECS-tunin...-4-5-6-7-8-5-7-Q3-Q5-plugnplay-/282389415296?
The 320mm calipers don't have that large hole in the web.

Same basic reason i'm looking as it happens. However when chasing breakers they tend to work in engine sizes etc rather than caliper size. Asking for calipers from a 2014 3.0TDI is much easier than asking for calipers from a Q5 with the 345mm brembos.

Those do look right, i've already messaged that guy the other day but he is being elusive.

Good shout on the new price, thats pretty decent, will try to chase this ebay guy some more first!