Brake servo

coylesee

Reaction score
Hi, newbie here looking for some advice for my '19 A6, I've had an error message appear telling me "brake servo restricted, you can still drive, contact garage".
Anyone familiar with this issue? Spoke to Audi service dept., aye sure drop it in, we'll need to keep it for 3 days. Only have the one car, so thats not helpful.
Problem I have is, I'm driving 180 - 260 miles per week for work and getting anxious about brakes failing completely. Be grateful for any and all advice.

More worried about the cost tbh, god knows what they charge for their investigative work, going to take it to a friend with the diagnostic gear to try and pinpoint what's wrong and take it from there.

I had the same warning on my A6 50tdi on Sunday. However, I also then had a stop/start system failure and then an electrical failure. To cut a long story short, I just managed to get the car home. Audi Assist came and looked at it on Monday and they couldn’t fix it so it was recovered to the dealer.

The brake servo fault seems to have happened to a few people - it seems it’s caused by a faulty sensor that costs around £85. A word or warning though, Audi Assist advised that once the brake servo fault occurs it should be fixed ASAP because, apparently, if it’s isn’t fixed within 1000 brake pedal pushes you will destroy the ABS module which is apparently a big bill. My advice is to take the car to get the sensor fixed as soon as you can.

As for the electrical failure, it turns out the car‘s starter/ generator (basically the alternator) is faulty that caused the 12v battery to die. Apparently, the starter/ generator on the 48v systems on 50tdis has been re-designed but none of the new ones are available from Germany yet. Therefore, no date for when my car will be fixed. Maybe that’s why there are no 50tdis available on the configurator if they don’t have any re-designed starter/ generators for the A6 50tdis?

I had the same warning on my A6 50tdi on Sunday. However, I also then had a stop/start system failure and then an electrical failure. To cut a long story short, I just managed to get the car home. Audi Assist came and looked at it on Monday and they couldn’t fix it so it was recovered to the dealer.

The brake servo fault seems to have happened to a few people - it seems it’s caused by a faulty sensor that costs around £85. A word or warning though, Audi Assist advised that once the brake servo fault occurs it should be fixed ASAP because, apparently, if it’s isn’t fixed within 1000 brake pedal pushes you will destroy the ABS module which is apparently a big bill. My advice is to take the car to get the sensor fixed as soon as you can.

As for the electrical failure, it turns out the car‘s starter/ generator (basically the alternator) is faulty that caused the 12v battery to die. Apparently, the starter/ generator on the 48v systems on 50tdis has been re-designed but none of the new ones are available from Germany yet. Therefore, no date for when my car will be fixed. Maybe that’s why there are no 50tdis available on the configurator if they don’t have any re-designed starter/ generators for the A6 50tdis?
50 TDi is still available in Germany and other markets. I think its absence from the UK configurator is down to Audi UK seeing (or wanting to create?) more demand for the hybrid petrol models as these are more tax friendly for the company car driver and the market in general is turning away from diesel