Brake replacement and cost

h1r4

Reaction score
Car was in for a speaker grill replacement (again). They have notified me that my rear brakes are 65% worn and the front discs are warped. Now for this they want £450. Does this sound right for the price,and if I was to get it done at an independent I'm guessing it doesn't effect warranty. But would it affect resale value as I've got it done by someone who isn't Audi?

Thanks

What mileage are you at ? I would inspect myself before commiting - you may still have a good 15k miles on those rear pads. Wrapped disc are very very rare. I have never managed that feat even on track. I would question if they are. Brakes are always a good earner for dealers.

The cars on 22k, which is why I'm questioning as to why my brakes have "gone" so quickly. Like I don't go around braking every 30 seconds. Car spends most of its time on the motorway. I just checked the Audi cam says the brakes are lipped?. It was all an advisory by Bedford Audi

I hate when they say the discs are lipped. They all are within 200 miles. It's about the size of the lip and if they are still within thickness tolerance. Which at that mileage they are bound to be especially with mway mileage. I bet they have lost less than 1mm.

Reactions: h1r4
I would get a 2nd opinion as my a4 was in at Huntingdon audi for a buzzing noise from rear shelf and was informed I had a nail in rear tyre quoted £178 to replace was told non repairable only for 1st tyre center i stopped at to inform me it was safe to repair!

Cheeky f***ers. I would have reported them for attempted rape.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
The old "% worn" message. It's a dealers bread & butter replacing brakes even if they don't need doing, and at 65% they don't need doing. A lip on the disk is fine, but dealers want to sell you discs & pads as each technician has to meet targets set by the dealership, so they will pick up on any little thing like a small lip, even if they don't need doing.

Also they say the brakes are warped, however are you experiencing vibration under breaking?

I normal go through 2 sets of pads before I replace discs, and at 22K miles I would not be changing any discs.

Last edited:
Reactions: h1r4 and Nickfrog
No I am not getting any vibrations under braking