Brake question

Martin9400

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have a question regarding my B5, a little background:
2.7T swap with RS4 B5 gearbox, axles and a S4 C4 rear diff, ratio at 4.11 all around.
S4 B5 front brakes and RS4 B5 rear brakes, original 1.8TQ ABS unit.

Now, my question is; does anybody here have an idea to why my brake pedal has a far travel to start the breaking? We're talking about halfway full travel before engaging.
And when I get to around 5-10kph the pedal and noise suggests that the ABS system is kicking in.

When the brakes do start engaging and when I really put pressure on it it does stop hard, of course it can be a bit wobbly because of the brake sizes. But this is expected. My problem is mainly pedal travel and the ABS kicking in unnecessarily!
Any help and thoughts are much appreciated!

You don't sate whether your brake setup was working normally before this happened, or whether the brake setup is newly installed and this is happening directly after fitment.

Also what do you mean by 'it can be a bit wobbly because of the brake sizes'?

I really don't know if the brakes were working normally before the change was done since I bought the car like this in April. Just recently got the conversion legalized through my local vehicle institution so I've started to use the car more.

And by my statement I guess it's because of the brake sizes that the distribution of the breaking-force is a bit out of whack giving me more stopping power on the rear brakes than it should have, causing a bit of a lockup on the rear axle while braking hard.

Not in UK then and your 'Vehicle Institution' doesn't need to sign off on your brake conversion?
Can't really comment on the brake bias, you shouold do some research and work out if the rear bias is too much.
Have you tried bleeding the system first?

Might sound silly but judging by your first post the brakes may just need bleeding again, braided brake lines may improve it a tiny bit as well and a decent brake fluid. The brake booster thing (forgot the name... actually that could even be the name I can't remember) can also cause a really useless brake feel if that goes which it may have.

the brakes will just have air in them. The rear calipers especially are a pig to bleed. Sometimes driving around a bit then trying again will work. Other times you'll need to use a different method such as a vacuum bleeder.

The ABS activation is probably a cracked ring or a bad or incorrectly positioned abs sensor