Brake pedal switch - fitting instructions ??

jiffi77

Reaction score
Does anyone have a guide or any tips regarding the fitting of a brake pedal switch, any tips on how to remove the piece of trim under the dash to give better access would be useful, car is a 2000 (face lift) A3 1.8T.

I have changed my brake switch after it decided to break off overnight, leaving the brake lights on all night and draining my battery!

It's a simple case of removing the lower dash cover, unplugging the connector on the switch and twisting the switch anticlockwise to remove it. Refit new one (by simply inserting into the vacant hole and twist clockwise to lock it into place). I found that the new switch fitted in a slightly different position to the old one and it is easier to put the wiring connector on first and then locking the switch into place if that helps.

Sign up on VAGCAT and have a look at this link: http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/au/A3/2001/209/56/2577063/

It shows you where most of the screws are, remove them, remove headlight switch by (I think) pressing the switch in and twisting it anticlockwise, then pulling out towards you, and voila (he says...).

Remove the lower trim, the trim panel is clipped in place at the top but a firm pull will get it off. It's not too difficult, I recommend getting a Haynes manual if in doubt. I used the local library (first time in over 20 years...) to get hold of one and it came in handy for the simple stuff like removing panels etc. HTH,

I managed to contort my arm/hand enough to get at it with the lower panel in place... few nice cuts on my arm afterwards though lol.

open your door, put driver seat right back, feet on the floor and your back on the sill, head down by the clutch pedal looking up. bingo.

open your door, put driver seat right back, feet on the floor and your back on the sill, head down by the clutch pedal looking up. bingo.

Doesn't work. Only way to do it is to remove the lower dash. I don't remeber having to remove any of the dash surrounding the headlight switch though...

Doesn't work. Only way to do it is to remove the lower dash. I don't remeber having to remove any of the dash surrounding the headlight switch though...

The lower dash trim that you need to remove has the headlight switch fittied to it, removing the headlight switch eliminates the risk of yanking out the cabling for the headlight switch accidently when the trim is removed...

Cheers for your help guys, hopefully try and fit the switch tonight, I'll let you no how I get on and fingers crossed it will solve the ESP light problem.

when you replace the trim make sure you clip the bottom into the two black guides....most people tend to miss these which results in a bit of flappiness above ya pedals ;)