Brake Pads

• Thread starter imported_MancheS3er
  • Start date
I

imported_MancheS3er

Just a quickie, how long, or should I say how many miles on average should a set of OEM front & rear brake pads last for on the S3?

Do the fronts wear more quickly than the rears?

Is there something on the pads that indicates a minimum level? Is there a standard pad depth ??

Don't know about the life, but I do know that when the front pads are down to a minimum, you will get a warning light appear.
The sensor is front pads only.

All depends how hard you use your brakes!

OK I appreciate that it depends how much and how hard you use your brakes but there must be an average life expectancy.

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of upgrading the OEM pads to the EBC RedStuff pads and was thinking if the current ones are only going to be good for a few more thousand miles I may as well upgrade now but if the current ones have another 30K left in them then I may not bother.

The car has about 20K on the clock (and therefore so do the brake pads just in case you're wondering).

Anyone got an opinion on the EBC RedStuff pads when used with standard discs and calipers.

Are they a worthwhile upgrade?

Hi m8

My warning light has just come on 35k, on having a good look there is still a good 5mm left on the pad.

I used them once on a Calibra Turbo. To be honest you are better with greenstuff. Redstuff take a little too much warming up.

Sounds odd, but if you need to do an emergency stop before you get off your estate in the morning then your ********.

Granted on a counrty road thrash they are better.

They also make your disks wear a bit quicker too!

Greenstuff pads are a good compromise.

Don't use greenstuff on S3's! There are known problems with the pads coming away from the backing surface! EBC recommend Redstuff for the S3..

Rich.

Thanks Rich,

I seem to remember reading something about this before and hence was looking at the RedStuff's.

Without upgrading the discs or calipers would there be any noticeable difference in braking power (given that the discs/pads are at optimum temperature) ?

I have just upgraded to redstuff. There is a notable difference, but a small difference. But when you consider that they're not any more than standard pads (or very close) then you might as well upgrade.

Regarding the warming up issues mentioned by dead eye, i've never had any problems and I think they've improved them in the last year or so, making the warming up much less of an issue.

p.s. I have standard discs.

They have improved the compound on the redstuff making them ceramic. Iv'e just changed to redstuff and also put EBC Turbogroove discs (spotted and grooved) on the front also and the difference is much better!

Redstuff is reccommended for vehicles over 200bhp and heavy....S3!!

Not really any problems with warming up also however they do perform much better when fully warmed up, however they will stop you when cold.

ive just ordered what jams3 has but mine are for the rears, £150 is a good price right? as i havnt seen them for less than £180 anywhere else. anyone know anywhere cheaper?